SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Member with Two Questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RVhomecamp

RVhomecamp

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-24

New Member with Two Questions Empty
PostSubject: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 7:51 am

Hello All,

Just brought home a new Ranger 500 EFI LE. Went for a 45-60 minute ride on back roads yesterday in an attempt to break it in a little. After about 30 minutes the seat began to warm up and by the end of the ride it was getting quite hot and I was ready to get off of it. Outside temp was in the high 80's. You could hear the cooling fan come on while stopped but didn't seem to come on while moving, unless I just didn't hear it. So I don't think the engine was over heating. Can anyone tell me if the "Hot Seat" is normal? If so, has anyone added any insulation? If so, what kind and where?

Also, Can anyone add their two cents worth in on the best way to break a new one in? Book says 20-25 hours or two tanks of fuel, vary rpm's, light load. What is a safe rpm to keep it under for a while? At what point would it be safe to go off road and do a little climbing?

Thanks,
Dan
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 am

Welcome

Unfortunately the heat is something that is normal. You can go to lowes and pick up some heat and air insulation tape/shield (for lack of better description) and stick it to the bottom if the seat. That will help it a lot.

As far as climbing and riding, you are ready. Hit the trails.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
RVhomecamp

RVhomecamp

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion to insulate the heat, I may give it a try. Was also suggested using a silver faced sunshade use for a auto windshield but not sure of best way to attach it to the seat.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Capt.D

Capt.D

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Get some Dynamat.....
Back to top Go down
RVhomecamp

RVhomecamp

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Capt.D

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used Dynamat as a heat barrier under the seat of a ranger? I thought it was designed more as a sound barrier. I couldn't find what heat temperatures it is capable of withstanding.

What do you know about Thermo Tec? It's a quote: "Aluminized Heat Barrier made up of woven silica with a flexible aluminized finish; the highly reflective surface of the material is capable of withstanding radiant temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees Fahrenheit". It also has an adhesive backing.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Capt.D

Capt.D

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 10:46 pm

I used dynamat...it's thicker and most of the guys that have used both think it's better...however Thermo Tec is good as well......The dyna mat is a little harder to put on because it is thicker though.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member with Two Questions   New Member with Two Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member with Two Questions
Page 1 of 1