SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Latest toy and distraction

Go down 
+3
Baditude
DirtDawber
2Slow4U
7 posters
AuthorMessage
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Latest toy and distraction Empty
PostSubject: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:05 am

Since I'm in no hurry to trade off my "old reliable Rhino 450" and Yamaha hasn't released anything that makes me want to open my wallet, I've picked up a different toy -- and it's definitely not new.

As I head toward retirement, I'd thought about getting a motorcycle for Sunday afternoon cruising the back roads through the mountains -- then came to the realization that it's been over 30 years since I rode a bike regularly, I don't have the balance nor the reflexes that I used to, etc. So, I thought better of that...

Started looking for an old VW sunroof or convertible (I've been a VW nut from way back...) only to find that a solid one, in working condition cost about 3 times what they did new. Then, I stumbled across this VW kit car -- a replica of 1952 MG on a '69 Bug running gear for $1900. Guy had taken it in on trade, then bought another Harley, and priced it at what he had in it, for a quick sale...

Below are a few pics of it stll attached via towbar, from when I drug it home a few weeks ago.
Latest toy and distraction Dsc06015_small

It's a 53HP 1500cc on a full-IRS floorpan, titled as a '69 VW. It was last inspected and registered in 1998, and has been sitting in a barn ever since. Not sure when it was built/assembled, nor how long it was on the road, but the odometer shows 53,xxx miles and is appropriate for the '69 Bug so I'm hoping/guessing that is total miles. I heard it run by filling the carb float bowl with gas several times (has a gas line leak from 40+ year old gas lines), it needs a clutch, and the brakes are down and the reservoir dry... all noted/documented prior to purchase.

Latest toy and distraction Dsc06017_small

It came with convertible top and snap/zip-in side curtains, but I didn't have them on for the 250 mile ride home. Has a dinged up front bumper and no rear bumper. Floorpan is all orginal, never been patched, and very solid -- not even serious surface rust in the infamous battery box location under what was the rear seat. Only minor surface rust visible underneath.

Latest toy and distraction Dsc06021_small

So, I've been distracted finding/ordering parts for it and trying to get it on the road. Though widely available, parts for '69 model VWs aren't often stocked locally, so it has been a lot of online searching and ordering - where they're also much less expensive. Right now, the new battery is installed, the dry-rotted tires are replaced, the gas tank is out, and I'm replacing all the rubber gas lines. New brakes, brake HW, all rubber brake lines and both wheel and master cylinders are being replaced, in addition to new front brake drums and wheel bearings. Clutch kit is sitting waiting on me getting the engine running good the and brakes operational before I yank the engine to put in a clutch.

Meanwhile, I've compounded it several times, inspecting the fiberglass up close and personal, and still need to do it at least once more before waxing, to get the original gelcoat up to snuff. Fiberglass is pretty solid, overall. There's a small stress crack in the right front fender, hairline cracks in the left front, and a few gouges/scrapes/scratches to deal with. Advantage of fiberglass is that there is no rust, and it has a gelcoat finish similar to a boat that is compounding back to its true bright red pretty well. Overall the body is in much better shape than a '69 Bug could have been expected to survive.

I'm intermixing cosmetic work with the mechanical work, to keep me motivated to get this thing on the road. Replaced all 40+ year rubber gas lines, and in the process of replacing all rubber brake lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Meanwhile took a break from brakes to fit a used original MG TD chrome grill shell (found on eBay from someone restoring a real one) to the fiberglass shell that was on it. Took a lot of trial and error fitting and trimming, but it really tranforms the look of the car. This is just a loose dry-fit, with the front bumper sitting on my garden scooter just to see how it will look, once complete...

Latest toy and distraction 923267_10201058055482802_1466225285_n

So, I hope to have a "side-by-side VW motorcycle" ready to enjoy this summer...

Last edited by 2Slow4U on Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:23 am

NICE FIND !!! perfect10 perfect10
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

nice , I like the new grill better. Post pics when done too
Back to top Go down
ohsresq
SSXSRider Member
ohsresq

Number of posts : 1753
Registration date : 2010-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Very cool
Back to top Go down
http://ohsresq@yahoo.com
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Nice project, hope you get to enjoy it for a long time...
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Have fun with it.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Congrats on the project. Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latest toy and distraction   Latest toy and distraction Empty

Back to top Go down

Latest toy and distraction
Page 1 of 1