SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spearhead Trail Review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
theshane_79

theshane_79

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-12-17

Spearhead Trail Review Empty
PostSubject: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I just found this review from Mtn. trail riders club, thought i would share.

This week a group of the MTRA went to the Spearhead Trail. We were able to purchase our trail passes for the trail as well as the Mountain View atv club membership at local hardware store in St. Paul Va. The trails are well marked and most of the Spearhead trails are well boxed out and well suited for larger quads and SxS. Trail maintenance is on going on the Spearhead system so watch out for large equipment on the trail. We were able to talk to a few of the Rangers they informed us that you need both the Spearhead trail pass and the Mountain View pass to be allowed on BOTH systems if you only have one pass and are caught on the the trails without the correct pass there is a $100.00 fine. The rangers and staff were very friendly and helpful. The Mountain View trails were not as well marked or groomed however they much more technical and tight offering a good challenge for your average rider. We had a great time and can’t wait to go back and explore this system as we only got 30 miles in and never hit the same trail twice.
Back to top Go down
stoneman
SSXSRider Member
stoneman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 7:17 am

I thought it was just one permit for the Mt View trails at a cost of $34 for rest or year, whats the other permit for? thanks for the info appreciate ya!
Back to top Go down
theshane_79

theshane_79

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 am

Im not sure. Maybe the property owen by the power plant is the mtn view club trails. I am planning on heading over there this weekend. I will try to find out. It is confusing. I seen a new video on spearhead trails facebook today if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 pm

It sounds like a good way to get fined $100.00 by accidentally getting on the wrong trail
without the proper permit.
I thought about going over there, but I think I'll wait!!
Back to top Go down
theshane_79

theshane_79

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Probably be best to get both permits.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 pm

theshane_79 wrote:
Probably be best to get both permits.

That won't happen with me, I've had all of the MTN VIEW ATV CLUB that
I'm going to take, I was a member for 4 yrs, they will not up keep their trails
if you go to a meeting they will talk about it and maybe trim a few briars
but thats about it.
when we use to ride there we would have to cut more of the time than
ride, then come back in two months and what we had done was about
all that was cut....They Suck!!!!!!

If spearhead will take all of it over..........then maybe
Back to top Go down
theshane_79

theshane_79

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Sounds like a rough experience.
Back to top Go down
Big Jake 1637
SSXSRider Member
Big Jake 1637

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:48 pm

It's not confusing once you see what's there. The club retained some of the trails in an area with the power plant. You have to be a member of the club to ride those trails. Spearhead Permits are $35 for the rest of the year and with the mapping / boundary markers, you will not have any problems. Come on over and ride. I've got a good bunch of rangers that are very helpful and can answer any questions you might have. We do still have trail maintenance ongoing (logging job just moved out, so opening trails up in that area) and signage is still being installed in the deep hollers. Come on over, check us out. You'll like what you see.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/chris.sturgill1?ref=tn_tnmn
theshane_79

theshane_79

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:52 am

heading over in about an hour.
Back to top Go down
theshane_79

theshane_79

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Road spearhead today. All the trails that i saw today were spearhead trails. I dont think a mtn view permit will be needed. There was about 20to people there that i saw. Talked to a couple guys from marion on dirt bikes. It was very wet of course, but alot of fun. I rode some new trails and some old ones. I stayed mostly on blue trails today. The trails down in the hollars are still grew up but i made it no problem. Spearhead has made an unbelievable amount of progress ovet the past 2 months. Im very satisfied and recommend this system to anyone. I dont belive i would send any small kids just yet. The main trail into the park is a little rough still. Im sure they will fix that.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:23 pm

allright 
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Looking forward to trying out the Spearhead trails. Used to ride Virginia City all the time till all the drama.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Stench wrote:
Looking forward to trying out the Spearhead trails. Used to ride Virginia City all the time till all the drama.  
Hey Stench, welcome back......spearhead is having thier grand opening friday aug 16th
at 2:00pm with free admission. would be a good time to check it out if you have time.

I would'nt buy the mtn view pass......just the spearhead
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Been a while for sure! I actually have a spear head sticker. I never let my Mtn View membership lapse - had hopes that things might turn around. So I have both for now thru the club til December anyway.

I may not be able to make it Friday, but Saturday is looking good now. You be there Sat?
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 pm

theshane_79 wrote:
I just found this review from Mtn. trail riders club,  thought i would share.

This week a group of the MTRA went to the Spearhead Trail. We were able to purchase our trail passes for the trail as well as the Mountain View atv club membership at local hardware store in St. Paul Va.  The trails are well marked and most of the Spearhead trails are well boxed out and well suited for larger quads and SxS. Trail maintenance is on going on the Spearhead system so watch out for large equipment on the trail. We were able to talk to a few of the Rangers they informed us that you need both the Spearhead trail pass and the Mountain View pass to be allowed on BOTH systems if you only have one pass and are caught on the the trails without the correct pass there is a $100.00 fine. The rangers and staff were very friendly and helpful. The Mountain View trails were not as well marked or groomed however they much more technical and tight offering a good challenge for your average rider. We had a great time and can’t wait to go back and explore this system as we only got 30 miles in and never hit the same trail twice.

Just a quick note about getting caught on the Mtn View trails - we used to be able to open carry, but when the Power plant got put in I was told that Dominion property falls under Homeland Security. I'm sure that Spearhead has rules to address this also, but wanted to make all aware. I know none of you boys ever carries......busted 
Back to top Go down
Big Jake 1637
SSXSRider Member
Big Jake 1637

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 pm

He's correct. No firearms are allowed on either system. This is a rule insisted by the main landowners on the system. Dominion and Forest Land Group. Come on over and have fun. People are really liking the trails.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Jake - we are going to come up Friday for the Ribbon cutting after all. Bringing my buddy with his new T4 so he can see the trails before buying a permit. Do we need to RSVP? Saw it on the flyer to RSVP, but didn't know if it was just big-wigs or not.

I will be in red Teryx t2 with the rear cage and 4 wakeboard speakers.
Back to top Go down
Big Jake 1637
SSXSRider Member
Big Jake 1637

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Don't need to RSVP. That was a big wig deal. Glad to see ya coming up, you'll see me running around everywhere. Make sure to catch up with me. I'll have my rzr 4 xp there, and just ask for Chris. See ya then.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Stench wrote:
Been a while for sure!  I actually have a spear head sticker.  I never let my Mtn View membership lapse - had hopes that things might turn around.  So I have both for now thru the club til December anyway.

I may not be able to make it Friday, but Saturday is looking good now. You be there Sat?
I can't make it this weekend, I would like to have been able to make fridays free ride
just to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

One of our crew LOVES Va City - I got tired of it due to the reasons you mentioned. Hope Spearhead turns it all around!

We will probably be riding up there quite a bit so let me know when you are going.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 am

The ribbon cutting was a pretty big to-do. It was great to see so much local and state level support for this initiative. Rode some trails I'd been on before with the Mtn View ATV club and lots of new ones. I've never seen the trails that clean! Props to Big Jake for all his hard work!!

As much as love the Dairy Hut, St Paul is going to give Evarts a run for the money on being ATV friendly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead Trail Review   Spearhead Trail Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Spearhead Trail Review
Page 1 of 1