SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck

Go down 
+3
Big-R
samiam
Gimpy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck Empty
PostSubject: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Thought I would give you all some pics of how I load my B&W Companion into my pick up without blowing another disc in my back, like I did years ago.

I use this dolly from Harbor Freight.  It has a steel frame under the plastic and rubber.

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck 2na1c0h

This is the hitch setting on the dolly.  I can just roll it around in the barn and put it out of the way.  No carrying it.

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck 51572r

I mounted this electric hoist in the trusses of the barn.  I bought one of the heavier duty ones from Harbor Freight.

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck Huh85j

I reinforced the trusses

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck A59t79

The hitch is now lifted, by the yellow remote and ready for the truck to back under it.  I have a piece of string on the yellow remote to lift it up to the trusses when I want it out of the way.  See the second pic on how I wind the string on the 6"x6" post.

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck Xds9z5

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck 28bsb4j

Now the truck is backed in and under the hitch and I just lower it into the B&W frame mount system's hole.  I have a vehicle parking pad that is on the floor of the barn that stops my truck when I back up.  Mine is yellow, not like the black on in the pic.  I think I got it at Wal-Mart years back.

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck 2v0hbpy

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck 121to2s

Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention:thatsright: 
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Good thinking!!!  I would probably brake my back before I thought of that.

Last edited by Big-R on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 8:29 pm

I followed your advice Les and used the winch on my 4 wheeler and did the same thing under my shed where I park my truck. Slick!
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:04 pm

did u ever consider a gooseneck adapter...instead of using that heavy ass 5 th wheel.just curious
Back to top Go down
CatMostFeared
SSXSRider Member
CatMostFeared

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 am

nice
Back to top Go down
http://www.catmostfeared.com
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 am

RedNeckRanger wrote:
did u ever consider a gooseneck adapter...instead of using that heavy ass 5 th wheel.just curious
I used a 5th wheel adaptor on the last 4 trailers I had.  The last one was a 35 footer with about 9,000 lb rated dry weight.  I am towing a 38 footer with about 14,000 lbs Max now.  I found out, from another site, that others who had used the adaptor had issues when they went to a heavier trailer.  Also some commented on when they broke loose from the adaptor their insurance denied their claims due to the adaptor not being a manufacture's part on the trailer.  Then I was faced with knowing I had a bad back and could not lift another 5th wheel into the bed.  I already had the B&W hitch on the truck and found out from friends that the Companion was easy to use.  Then I created the lift system I have.  Piece of cake  now!
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Makes since ...I had a small 5th wheel before...a friend of mine built a whole new box to replace the 5th wheel and made it an factory goose....looked factory with no adapter ...worked well ....sounds like u got working for you
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm

You can order a new pin box from the factory that has the goose neck on it. Cost is probably double of what you can by anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:56 pm

i have been running an adapter on mine for 3 years now with no problems. im only around 13000lb loaded but pull 2.5 miles of rough dirt road to the house . but if i had to do over i think i would go with the b&w Companion also. just cost around 100$ more than the adapter.

the real test is mark (orangecrush) with the adapter on his toy hauler.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Randy Lane has one on his 40'+ Toyhauler too. I just did not want to chance it on this trailer and with the insurance company if anything happened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck   This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck Empty

Back to top Go down

This is how I load my 5th wheel hitch in my truck
Page 1 of 1