SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Equalizer load distributing hitch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

The Equalizer load distributing hitch Empty
PostSubject: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 am

I found one yesterday in a yard sale here in the neighborhood. The think looks like it has only been used a couple of times. I went ahead and bought it for a LOT less than a new one costs. Does anyone have any experience with these type of hitches? I think my brake control box for my enclosed trailer will have to be relocated to make it work, but I have heard that these type of hitches are the best kind to have. Any opinions?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 am

LT, I've got the 14K version for my toyhauler and really like it. It is a lot easier to use than the old sway bar! You can back your trailer without having to loosen anything. It does make some strange noises, but it's normal.

The biggest trick is to use your jack to raise the bars to make them easily slide on the bar carriers (after you've hooked up).

Let me know if you need any pics or anything. I'm taking my rig to the dealer monday, so will be hooking it up soon.

Installation manuals
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 am

I have an 8K Hidden Hitch brand equalizer that I use with my 14' tandem-axle utility. They make a HUGE difference in the way the trailer handles, especially at speed.

Having used this one for several years, I wouldn't pull an enclosed trailer on a regular basis without one.

Once you get used to using it, it only takes a couple extra minutes to hitch/unhitch. It will take a little experimenting whe you first set it up, to see what link in the chains works best for you, but once you've done that, it's simply count the links and connect it up.

To give an idea of how well they transfer weight from the trailer to the frame and front wheels of the truck -- I once had a flat on one of my back tires of the truck when towing with my tractor on the trailer -- and didn't realize it until the next rest area when I went through the whole tire-kicking, strap-checking routine before pulling back out on the interstate...

They make towing much, much, much safer...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Kent, mine actually doesn't have chains. It has metal bars only, like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Equal-i-Zer-Weight-Distribution-Equalizer-Hitch-14000_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5885f7f534QQitemZ380204741940QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The Equalizer load distributing hitch Loadlevelinghitch002
The Equalizer load distributing hitch Loadlevelinghitch003
The Equalizer load distributing hitch Loadlevelinghitch004

I was just using another hitch with a small swaybar control. I hope this setup works better.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Never saw one like that. Mine has the chains also. If you don't know anything about the setup, you'll need some one at a camper dealer or trailer dealer to set it up for you. Things need leveled and the angle of the ball needs to be adjusted also. A friend of mine had a setup sort of like that and had too much tension on those bars and his rear tires were slipping without his knowing it. Damn near ruined a near new set of rear tires between Parkersburg and Elkins. There is a learning curve here. And when you get it right it will tow better than anything you've had to date!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 6:08 pm

The guy who I bought it from gave me the owner's manual. He also checked it out after I got it installed. The ball is supposed to tilt rearward 6-8 degress, which it already does. The trailer is sitting more level now than it was with the other hitch. I will try to get another set of eyes on it before I tow far.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I've never seen one like that either. I'd guess that the "pre-load" on the torsion bar/trunnion (or whatever the Equalizer brand calls them) are adjusted by different holes in that "L-shaped piece" that's being held by the setscrew.

I'd like to see how you connect those trunnions/torsion bars without the flexibility of a chain. I've seen people use tire irons on the Reese brand with the square trunnions...

I think you'll really like the difference, one you have it fine-tuned. I feel safer towing at 70 MPH with one than I do at 45 MPH without one. The trailer tracks straight, and doesn't wander around. It doesn't "buck" when you go over speed bumps, expansion strips or potholes. It's not nearly as sensitive to balancing the load to get the correct tongue weight -- though you still want to be mindful -- nor with variations in handling caused by the load balance. Sway is reduced a LOT, but you can add a sway control the these that functions like a steering damper. It stops the wiggles that can lead to oscillation and a jack-knife...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 pm

This one says it has four way sway control. It also has a shock absorber down between the shank and the hitch that the ball attaches to. It is supposed to absorb additional shock when you have to stop quickly. I guess I will find out how it does when I head to Windrock next month.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm

LT, that is exactly what I have and my rig is about 9K loaded...never sways at all. This is my third RV and the most rock solid setup I've ever used. I think you'll like it!

BTW..pick up a few extra "L" pieces to lock the bars down in case you lose one on a trip. Useless without those. They are the only pieces that wear. It will make some noise when you turn, but it is normal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Equalizer load distributing hitch   The Equalizer load distributing hitch Empty

Back to top Go down

The Equalizer load distributing hitch
Page 1 of 1