SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has anyone camped in the winter?

Go down 
+4
AIRBORNE
Disaster
shawnley1222
RZRSguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RZRSguy

RZRSguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Has anyone camped in the winter? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:59 am

I know this seems crazy but has anyone camped in a tent during the winter? If so, how did you creatively stay warm? A buddy and I are considering it if we can figure out how to stay warm.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 1:02 am

hump ..JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You left yourself open for that!!!! roflmao

Really dont know. Hate tents even in the summer. My last tent-adventure, was my last.....................
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 am

A good sleeping bag and stay off the direct ground even a roll out foam matt helps and if its just a weekend trip could take blankets to sleep with as well, but the other 2 are a MUST

also bring a beanie to wear while in the bag seeing how most your body heat escapes through your head this will help tremendously(spelling) allright
Back to top Go down
RZRSguy

RZRSguy

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 am

What about a portable electric space heater. Places like windrock, brimestone and evarts it could be used. Seems like it could help along with a cot, nice slleping bag and cot.
Back to top Go down
Disaster

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:18 am

I camp in the winter quite a bit. I do the heater thing. I have an inflatable mattress - don't skimp on it or you will be laying on the ground in a couple hours. Like they said it keeps you off the ground and off the cold.

Sleeping bag is a must to keep your heat in. I don't use anything special just a cheap coleman bag.

I have a ceramic heater with an adjustable thermostat. I keep it running all day on the lowest setting and turn it up a little when in the tent.

Use the smallest tent possible, for obvious reasons, less area to heat.

RzrS, you thinking about riding the Evarts ride in Feb? I will be there unless the weather is really bad, will be camping at the North Campground.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:51 am

I have used the tent.........got sick of being uncomfortable, so I bought that trailer. I will still sleep in a tent in good weather for sure (I have slept many a night on the ground since being in the Army, so I am not too proud), but I would rather not given a choice.

I use a Coleman Black Cat ceramic heater and it does AWESOME for moderate cold. Only drawback is the tank does not last through the night sometimes and you have to wake up and change it.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 am

I have done it and the best way I found to keep warm was buy an enclosed trailer!

Other than that, one thing I did that was great was get a cot, and point a heater UNDER the cot. The heat rises and keeps you warm all night. A good quality sleeping bag is a MUST. If you are going to be somewhere that has electric hookups just get you an electric blanket.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Take a bail or two of hay or straw and put down on the ground   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm

then pitch your tent on top of that. Don't skimp on a good air mattress and sleeping bag. Be careful what kind of heater you use also. Not all are safe to sleep with. I have a "Mr Big Heater Buddy" works great and they say it's safe to use indoors also. Only draw back to it is it does use a good bit of gas. Propane that is. Like others here, my last tint trip was my LAST tint trip. If I can't take my trailer and sleep in comfort, I ain't going. Too old and busted up to sleep on the ground any more!
Back to top Go down
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Don't skimp, buy a room at the Holiday Inn. lol!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 pm

RickV wrote:
Don't skimp, buy a room at the Holiday Inn. lol!

Yep, for $25.00 more you can go first class. Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone camped in the winter?   Has anyone camped in the winter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone camped in the winter?
Page 1 of 1