SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odd question...winter riding footwear?

Go down 
+12
Hollon
2fast4u
chipper
AIRBORNE
Foxfire
ridepate
Smith700
Craig_C
2Slow4U
RangeRover
Big-R
Stench
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Odd question...winter riding footwear? Empty
PostSubject: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

I had a blast riding in the snow in Evarts Sat and the only thing that got cold was my FEET! I didn't want to wear my big tall muck boots what I have always worn riding an ATV in the winter, but I'm gonna have to get something warmer than my regular mid-rise boots! What do you guys wear?

Windshields are wonderful things in the cold!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I can never keep my feet warm. I have a good set of boots that help. I think a really good pair of socks help too. Try smart wool.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 pm

I wear Neoprene Waders, thermals, and two pair of socks. Keeps me very warm.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:53 pm

They're a bit clumsy on the pedals, because of the thickness of the liner, but the warmest winter boots you'll find are "Pac Boots"...

Take this from a guy who's lived in Utah, Minnesota and now Massachusetts over the last 20 years. The separate liner makes all the difference in the world, and doesn't transfer your heat out nor the cold in nearly as much as just lined or insulated boots...

Sorels are probably the best brand, if you can find them, but they're pricey... probably $150 and up.

They're available from several brands, at lots of places. Here's one pair at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Casual-Shoes/Mens-Pac-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104824080/i/103959180/Cabelas-Glacier-Point8482-Pac-Boot/749363.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/footwear-mens-footwear-mens-casual-shoes-mens-pac-boots/_/N-1102516

Last edited by KentT on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 5:16 pm

If you go fast enough, you will be pushing the gas and brake back and forth so much you will keep your feet heat up! I wear tennis shoes!
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm

I have Rocky Boots for riding.......Try and get something with Gore-Tex in it. I have a set of Muck boots I wear also....
Casual boots, I wear Justin's.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm

I just bought a pair of REDHEAD low-cut zip-ups they are awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Rockies....800 grams thinsulate.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:24 pm

For extreme cold, Kent has it nailed. PAC boots are the most comfortable and heat retaining boots out there. Some people wear battery powered socks, but they will make your feet sweat in no time flat, so when you turn them off your feet will be even colder. I find a good pair of wool socks and something with at least 800g Thinsulate works pretty good. I have a set of Wolverine Durashocks with 1200g Thinsulate I bought at Dicks for 79 dollars and they are some of the most comfortable leather type boots I have ever had.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

I love my Muck boots with a pair of wool socks. They are a little bulky but dry and warm.
Back to top Go down
2fast4u

2fast4u

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 am

Craig_C wrote:
If you go fast enough, you will be pushing the gas and brake back and forth so much you will keep your feet heat up! I wear tennis shoes!

lol! I usually Rockys , but any shoe with good insulation covered in gore-tex should be good 2cents
Back to top Go down
http:// www.MAGOffroad.com
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:26 am

AIRBORNE wrote:
For extreme cold, Kent has it nailed. PAC boots are the most comfortable and heat retaining boots out there. .

Thanks for the back-up Chris...

I have both Thinsulate-insulated boots, regular lined boots, and Pac Boots, and simply choose between them based on conditions. Regular lined boots for warm temps, Thinsulate-insulated for mostly spring/fall, and Pac-boots for snow and ice...

Most of you guys probably know this, but just in case you don't, here's some general info on insulation that applies to shoes, gloves or any kind of outerwear...

1. Thinsulate is woven polypropolene (sp?), i.e. plastic with the plastic fibers being reflective of heat (i.e. think the shiny "space blankets") -- it is designed to reflect the body heat back in, while the woven fiber allows moisture (i.e. sweat) to come out between the strands. It is effective ONLY if you are active and generating additional body heat.

2. If you are inactive, there is simply no substitute for "bulk" whether that bulk is down (infant-stage bird feathers, usually duck or geese), wool, woven/quilted polyester or whatever. It's a balancing act between what provides enough bulk (it's the dead-air spaces that provide the insulating effect) and being too clumsy to move...

Bottom line is Thinsulate only works as advertised IF you are active. If you aren't moving, you'll get cold. A good compromise is a combination. Use Thinsulate boots with two pairs of socks -- thin inner pair of nylon, dacron, or something similar, plus a thicker pair of wool socks on the outside. Wool is THE best natural insulator, and provides insulation even when wet.

DO NOT wear cotton socks -- like wet blue jeans, wet cotton socks from sweating (or just getting them wet) will freeze you to death. Cotton soaks up water and will not wick it out. Wool wicks the moisture out and up, allowing it to evaporate. Cotton does not...

Similarly the best overall "long johns" for cold weather wear are Duofold -- two layers -- with the outside layer of thin wool on top of softer cotton or man-made fibers. I happen to have some woven polypropolene long johns from my days of cross-country skiing that I wear underneath flannel-lined jeans or quilted, insulated coveralls. I've found that if you're just sitting, riding, they work fine with the engine heat generated -- as long as you keep dry on the outside.

Keeping dry -- from sweat or from snow/ice/rain is key... consequently a "wind-breaking rain-layer" whether Gore-Tex (the best, but pricey) or some other woven water/wind repellent/resistent covering is key.

My 2 cents, based upon 30 years of dealing with the snow and cold. Now back to your regular programming...
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 am

good write up there KentT
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

Very nice Kent. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:16 am

Wow, thanks for the info guys! No excuse for cold feet now...
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Wow Dude.....I think KentT has a Masters in temperature control !

cold2

Nice write up Kent
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Foxfire wrote:
Wow Dude.....I think KentT has a Masters in temperature control !

cold2

Nice write up Kent

lol! No Fox... nor have I slept in a Holday Inn lately...

But, I have been through winter survival training and had to build and spend the night in a snow cave... does that count? roflmao

BTW, the key there is to build a bench inside your snow cave (or igloo if you want to get fancy) that's about 18" or more off the floor to sleep on. Then, you'll be up above the cold air that pools on the floor, and you'll be 20-30 degrees warmer because of your body heat and breath...

Just trying to help, that's all...

Some time over refreshments I'll have to share the story of four of us trying to camp on Mt Evans in Colorado in January, at over 13,000 ft. Talk about a long, miserable night...
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Stench wrote:
I had a blast riding in the snow in Evarts Sat and the only thing that got cold was my FEET! I didn't want to wear my big tall muck boots what I have always worn riding an ATV in the winter, but I'm gonna have to get something warmer than my regular mid-rise boots! What do you guys wear?

Windshields are wonderful things in the cold!

Stench, Try looking at the " sportsmans Guide" site, Thats where I get most of my winter/hunting wear. Good place to do business with. I wear my 1000gr insulated tall muck boots and good socks with silk under socks - keeps me dry and toasty.

www.sportsmansguide.com
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 pm

muck chore boots and some insulated socks
Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 pm

DANNER BOOTS WOOL SOCKS WITH SILK SOCK LINERS---- TO 20/DEG

ADD FOOT WARMERS GOOD FOR 6HRS----------------------UNDER 20/ DEG

JIM BEAM STAY AT HOME----------------UNDER 10/ DEG Odd question...winter riding footwear? 70318
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Summit Heater blowing on your feet... thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd question...winter riding footwear?   Odd question...winter riding footwear? Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd question...winter riding footwear?
Page 1 of 1