SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winch question brings snatch block question

Go down 
+2
Clutch
nocerisdave
6 posters
AuthorMessage
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Winch question brings snatch block question Empty
PostSubject: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 am

What kind type and wheres the best deal on a snatch block? I have read that this increases the pull capacity when doubled back to the item pulling. Is that true? I am trying to comprehend the physics of that and in my pea brain it just dont compute. What are your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes snatch blocks work great. Think of it as a small block and tackle, It works like if your winch was hooked to another UVT with his winch hooked to you and both were pulling at the same time. I bought a Gorilla winch off ebay and it came with a snatch block. I also have a ARB block I use in my Jeep.
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Also, winches have their max pulling power with the minimum amount of wraps on the drum, so if you have a short pull, you can use the snatch block to get more cable off the drum. The more layers you have on the drum, the less pull you have. A snatch block does not double line pull like most people think, I used to think this myself. It actually only increases by about 1.5 times So, theoretically, a 3000# winch can pull 4500 with one block. One down side to a block is it slows line speed down, but if your in a bind, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get out, as long as you get out.
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Yea it does not double the line pull but it does take some load off when pulling a lot or the load is heavy.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 8:46 pm

Warn sells a winch assy kit that has that, two tree straps and couplers for about 89.99 in a carry bag.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm

ive got a look alike from harbor freight $2.99 ill let ya know how it works when i use my winch again...also ill take a picture later
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the input!
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: snatch block   Winch question brings snatch block question EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am

The block is a great tool when needing extra power to pull.General rule of thumb for every wheel you have stuck add 25% more weight to machine ,when you get down to frame the charts go hay wire .try never to tie the rear of your quad down because you can pull it a part at welds or worse.Remenber if you use cable it can cut or kill you if it breaks under a hard pull.Some times its better to use two or three machines pulling than get some one hurt.Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winch question brings snatch block question   Winch question brings snatch block question Empty

Back to top Go down

Winch question brings snatch block question
Page 1 of 1