SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Viper Max 4000 winch install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Viper Max 4000 winch install Empty
PostSubject: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Well I got my winch today and got it installed. I don't have pictures yet but will try and get some tomorrow. My initial thought is okay I guess. I had to partially disassemble to rotate the motor housing. I don't really appreciate the fact that the main switch is sent as a handlebar mount and not targeted for a dash mount or utv mount. When I went to tie into the battery the damn holes in the connectors were not even big enough for the battery post screws so I had to drill them out (tore my thumb up in the process). The wire tires were junk to say the least. Good things I had other ones because the ones they sent were either dry rotted or so cheap that any pressure would cause them to break.

Once I did get it installed the plug in remote would not activate the winch to pull it in but would work fine going out. After unplugging it and plugging it back in several times it began to work. Other than that the electric install seemed to work okay.

Now these are small things compared to the cost difference of a Warn but still several things that could have made the install much smoother.

I am going to contact Viper and give them feedback because I fee they make a decent product but someone who is not as handy as some may have given up and wrote it off as a bad product.

We are going on a ride Saturday and I will let everyone know how it worked if it is needed. I will probably try it out just to test it.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am

Hey Martman....what made you select the Viper over others? Price? Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 9:14 am

In regards to Warn, yes price was the only factor. In regards to the other imports I basically just did research on the net and the forums and determined that Viper had the best customer service and are actually looking to improve the product. As a matter of fact I sent feedback to Viper and within 2 hours I had a full response and it was like any company should take feedback. They were very interested in pictures, suggestions in instructions, and any other concerns I could throw their way.

I have heard a lot of stuff about Venom not working out of the box (the actual winch internals). The rest are just out of my price range to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Martman100,

Congrats on the new winch.

Did you ride this weekend?
Back to top Go down
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Big-R wrote:
Martman100,

Congrats on the new winch.

Did you ride this weekend?

Thanks, and yes I rode today with the kids at Royal ATV Trails in Clarkson. I posted a couple pics in the pics forum. I do have one small issue that I am going to post in the tech section in regards to my 2wd indicator on the digital readout.

Also, I would not suggest Royal right now or really anytime in the future until they learn to do trail maintenance. I guess they think that 18 inch deep ruts and off camber ruts are fun for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 11:43 pm

I was 20 minutes for Royal this morning. I could have road with you. I have a place at Nolin Lake.
Back to top Go down
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 6:20 am

You didn't miss anything. Plus with having the kids it was more of a day out with them. However, next time I will let you know for sure.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 am

martman100 wrote:
You didn't miss anything. Plus with having the kids it was more of a day out with them. However, next time I will let you know for sure.

Most of Royal is extreme. It would be tough on the kids for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viper Max 4000 winch install   Viper Max 4000 winch install Empty

Back to top Go down

Viper Max 4000 winch install
Page 1 of 1