SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing

Go down 
+12
mking
ridepate
bush
roamerr
GunRunner
kevinm
Clayboy
ChrisC
Foxfire
DirtDawber
AIRBORNE
wvyankee2
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing Empty
PostSubject: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 am

There has been much debate in several different threads about the Engine brakeing on the Polaris RZR. The bottom line is this. There is none period! Dont believe me? How about asking Polaris. Here are their specs...............

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/2010/Side-By-Side-Vehicles/RANGER-RZR-S/Pages/specifications.aspx#

Engine Type 4-Stroke Twin Cylinder
Displacement/HP 760cc High Output (H.O.)
Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection
Cooling Type Liquid
Fuel Capacity 7.25 gal. (27.4 ltr.)

Final Drive Shaft
Transmission Automatic PVT H/L/N/R/P
Drive System On-Demand True AWD/2WD
Engine Braking System N/A

Now lets look at other manufacturers specs.....

Arctic Cat

Transmission Automatic CVT with EBS, hi/lo
range and reverse.

Kawasaki

Transmission

Continuously variable belt-drive transmission
with high and low range, plus reverse, and
Kawasaki Engine Brake Control.

Yamaha

Transmission

Industry-exclusive fully automatic Ultramatic®️ transmission with dual-range (Hi/Lo) drive and reverse is the most advanced drive system available. Maintaining constant belt tension reduces wear, gives instant throttle response and provides industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.

These are the facts. The 3 manufacturers advertise their engine brakeing and Polaris tells you there is none available. There should be no big surprise when people make jokes about being told they dont know how to use the engine brakeing on their machine, when there is none.

I hope this puts the debate to rest. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 am

wvyankee2 wrote:

NoPoo
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am

OK, well, what about engine breaking then? What are the mfgrs specs for that? roflmao
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 am

Only U Dude!! Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:01 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
There has been much debate in several different threads about the Engine brakeing on the Polaris RZR. The bottom line is this. There is none period! Dont believe me? How about asking Polaris. Here are their specs...............

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/2010/Side-By-Side-Vehicles/RANGER-RZR-S/Pages/specifications.aspx#

Engine Type 4-Stroke Twin Cylinder
Displacement/HP 760cc High Output (H.O.)
Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection
Cooling Type Liquid
Fuel Capacity 7.25 gal. (27.4 ltr.)

Final Drive Shaft
Transmission Automatic PVT H/L/N/R/P
Drive System On-Demand True AWD/2WD
Engine Braking System N/A

Now lets look at other manufacturers specs.....

Arctic Cat

Transmission Automatic CVT with EBS, hi/lo
range and reverse.

Kawasaki

Transmission

Continuously variable belt-drive transmission
with high and low range, plus reverse, and
Kawasaki Engine Brake Control.

Yamaha

Transmission

Industry-exclusive fully automatic Ultramatic®️ transmission with dual-range (Hi/Lo) drive and reverse is the most advanced drive system available. Maintaining constant belt tension reduces wear, gives instant throttle response and provides industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.

These are the facts. The 3 manufacturers advertise their engine brakeing and Polaris tells you there is none available. There should be no big surprise when people make jokes about being told they dont know how to use the engine brakeing on their machine, when there is none.

This is complete horse Shit...... Rolling Eyes
once again no one is paying attention to the discussion
at hand. you are right a 2010 RZR does not have engine braking
what so ever. but the 2010 is not the main discussion.
the 2009 is what most were talking about.
and mine does have braking.
so does pates , and bushes 09 LE , and gunny's LE
you just got to keep it off ideal just a tad , and it will stay
locked in , and slow you down just as a rhino does.
and works very well. if you take your foot off the gas pedal
completely after about 30 feet it will release and free wheel
if you use it right it will slow you down in low gear as slow or slower
than a rhino. Only on the 09. the 2010 does not have braking
at all from the factory.
Now that is the facts.

I am sure pate and bush and others can chime in that has
had 09's and will tell you the same.
Am i saying the braking as a whole is as good as a Rhino?
No , but the 09 does have very good braking if you know
how to use it..... Wink
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm

2010 RZR-S = no engine brake from what I have heard but I don't own one so I can't say for sure. According to the info the the Yank has posted, this would lead me to believe that is ture.

2009 RZR-S = Has an engine brake, It is somewhat different to what most Rhino owners are used to. It also takes a trip or two to learn how to use it properly. I only know this because I have one. It may be that I have adjusted to this version of an engine brake because the throttle has soooo much SAK to it.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth,,,, Clayboy.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:40 pm

ChrisC wrote:

This is complete horse Shit...... Rolling Eyes
once again no one is paying attention to the discussion
at hand. Only on the 09. the 2010 does not have braking
at all from the factory.
Now that is the facts.

Well you are certainly paying attention to it. Here is the 2009 RZR web site. http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Ranger/2009/800/RZR/Pages/Features.aspx Show me anywhere here that says it has engine brakeing. Not there. Do you think that Polaris wanted to hide that important feature on the 09's?

I'm not going to get into a debate here about the difference between engine compression hold back and engine brakeing on a CVT. It is pointless.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm

This is pointless. I own a 2009 RZR-s
and i know it has braking that slows me down.

so i am happy with it.

no more debate from me....... allright
Back to top Go down
kevinm
SSXSRider Member
kevinm

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 pm

I have a 2010 RZR LE and it does have engine braking after I learned how to use it. However I had a 06 Rhino and there is a big difference it would never freewheel. If you keep some throttle at all times then it will hold back.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Why is it someone who has never owned a polaris much less a RZR S is now the authority on the EBS system? Well if the picture posting was working today i would settle this.

The 09 Polaris service manual shows a full break down of the EBS clutch system. Soon as the picture hosting is back up i will post the pics from my service manual showing the 09 S EBS clutch breakdown diagram. Till then, here is the part no. and description;
SKU: 1322749
ASM-CLUTCH, EBS, WIDE, 21 [Incl. All Less 3,15]

Last edited by GunRunner on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm not sure what is being called Engine Braking on the Rzr is actually what Polaris calls engine braking. I know that the Rzr I drove 800+ miles in Utah had something like engine braking but it was scary since you had to use the brakes and gas at the same time. If you only used the brakes it would freewheel - not a good system but one that you can use if you know how. I was not very comfortable with that system on switchbacks that had 500+ ft dropoffs on the side. Then again my Rhino would not even have fit that trail.

The real deal for Polaris is Active Descent Control. ADC really is a kick butt system. Polaris needs to wake-up and put it on the Rzr.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:01 pm

roamerr wrote:
I'm not sure what is being called Engine Braking on the Rzr is actually what Polaris calls engine braking. I know that the Rzr I drove 800+ miles in Utah had something like engine braking but it was scary since you had to use the brakes and gas at the same time. If you only used the brakes it would freewheel - not a good system but one that you can use if you know how. I was not very comfortable with that system on switchbacks that had 500+ ft dropoffs on the side. Then again my Rhino would not even have fit that trail.

The real deal for Polaris is Active Descent Control. ADC really is a kick butt system. Polaris needs to wake-up and put it on the Rzr.

Thats how the system works, thats why ive always said it is something you must learn to use, it works well when you get the feel for it. I had a 08 sportsman 800 HO with the ADC, it is the same EBS system other than the adc unit does the throttle control for you, it still is not as good as the jap models but its a lot better than none at all. Even Yank commented the other day how well the engine braking worked on the two rzrs that he rode with in WV even going so far as to say they used the brakes going down hill less than he did. Now today he says they have none lol! coco
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 pm

My Cat has a "New" engine brake, which it needed REAL bad since the brakes get soooo
hot going down hills like in Bell County that it cooks the brake fluid in the calipers and if ya take your foot off the brake for a sec......next time ya push the left peddle down....
well that's where it goes...down to the floor WTF WTF

So I went to the marina the other day and got the Cat a New engine brake.......20 ton boat anchor Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435 Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:14 pm

I never said the RZR did not have any engine braking. I think my comment was more to the tune of "The Polaris needs more EBS. It sucks compared to the Rhino."

In low (stock) the S did marginally well with engine braking. It is just much better with the clutch kit. That is my opinion, and I really don't care if someone agrees or disagrees. I am not trying to force-feed anyone anything. Drive mine and drive a stock one and make your own assessment. That way a certain individual on here can tell you how much you don't know....... Razz banned
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:28 pm

yank can say what he wants but the pre 2010s have a system that slows you down when you know how to use it. you can call it EB or clutch breaking or what every you want to but it will slow you down.
no the setup is not as good as yamaha and Kawasaki but it works great when used right. now my new 2010 does have a little brakeing but not enough to use and thats bad on polaris. but the brakes work much better than the old 660 rhinos with the brakes on the driveshaft. an if you think its dangerous with no EB try going up a hill in a 660 rhino with an axle broke and not make it up, now that is dangerous.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 pm

I think the brakes on the RZR are FANTASTIC. I wish the Rhino had brakes like that.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
I think the brakes on the RZR are FANTASTIC. I wish the Rhino had brakes like that.

I think it has to do with the muffler bearings, mine has the Gen-2 style, which i've read are the best for your pop-off pressure.................. :D
Back to top Go down
mking
SSXSRider Member
mking

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 pm

i know me and tim and Lt have put on the dirty dawg clutch kit and it gave our rzrs engine breaking without haveing to give it gas to make it engage best money i spent will pay for itself in brake pads not talk just facts
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm

mking wrote:
i know me and tim and Lt have put on the dirty dawg clutch kit and it gave our rzrs engine breaking without haveing to give it gas to make it engage best money i spent will pay for itself in brake pads not talk just facts

Yep, those are the RZR's I followed and they used less brake on the hills than the Rhino. I would like to hear how they work. Is it just a matter of engageing at lower RPM's or is there an internal clutch with it?
Back to top Go down
mking
SSXSRider Member
mking

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:38 pm

From what I can tell you get a new helix and it's machined in one direction like stock but also is machined with a back kick in it that let's it go back it's kind of hard to explain
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Whatever Dale does......it works. There are drawbacks though. I used more fuel than HilbillyRZRS on the last ride out. Also the rear wheels will lock up on gravel at high speeds if you completely get out of the throttle. It takes a little getting used to, but I do like it better.
Back to top Go down
Showtime

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 pm

I have never owned a quad or SXS till I got my RZR, just bikes. When I drove my 08 RZR the first time it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get it to slow down or speed up on a down hill. You guys can go around forever about what its called, but anyone who has had anytime riding anything but an automobile in the dirt on hills will likely figure out that there is more to this thing than brake on or brake off. I call it "true control" not a safety feature. It does take more attention and input I guess. but I have not ridden the other machines so I dont know. I have noticed while using my RZR that this machine does its best with a skilled driver. (NOT SAYING ME) To get the most out of it you need to know how to use it. Like modern day ABS, active handeling, or traction control on a new car, the average guy is a better safer faster or whatever driver with these features on, but give the same car to a pro driver, and he can usually do better on full manual mode. This being said, my point is that I think the RZR takes some practice and may be less safe for folks that just want to ride and are less experienced. (IS THIS GOOD OR BAD?--YOU DECIDE) But I would bet that after a person figures out how to ride the RZR they will be able to go fast and be safe. Things like this are usually common on all types of higher performance machines. They take getting use to, they are not forgiving, they require lots of input, and they make NO decissions for you, but when you figure them out you would not have it any other way. pot beat deadhorse 2cents 2cents 2cents
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Showtime wrote:
I have never owned a quad or SXS till I got my RZR, just bikes. When I drove my 08 RZR the first time it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get it to slow down or speed up on a down hill. You guys can go around forever about what its called, but anyone who has had anytime riding anything but an automobile in the dirt on hills will likely figure out that there is more to this thing than brake on or brake off. I call it "true control" not a safety feature. It does take more attention and input I guess. but I have not ridden the other machines so I dont know. I have noticed while using my RZR that this machine does its best with a skilled driver. (NOT SAYING ME) To get the most out of it you need to know how to use it. Like modern day ABS, active handeling, or traction control on a new car, the average guy is a better safer faster or whatever driver with these features on, but give the same car to a pro driver, and he can usually do better on full manual mode. This being said, my point is that I think the RZR takes some practice and may be less safe for folks that just want to ride and are less experienced. (IS THIS GOOD OR BAD?--YOU DECIDE) But I would bet that after a person figures out how to ride the RZR they will be able to go fast and be safe. Things like this are usually common on all types of higher performance machines. They take getting use to, they are not forgiving, they require lots of input, and they make NO decissions for you, but when you figure them out you would not have it any other way. pot beat deadhorse 2cents 2cents 2cents

Thanks Showtime, I think you have said it better than anyone! Me and you both might get banned for it, but you speaketh the truth!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:00 am

uplaugh So youre really saying it all boils down too "You need to Learn how to use it" Where have i heard that before??? scratch Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing 13435
I think you got it Showtime! cheers clap

Last edited by GunRunner on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 am

Amen........ allright
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing   Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing Empty

Back to top Go down

Polaris RZR Engine Brakeing
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next