SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HID Lights Problem.

Go down 
+6
Rhino Rob
Clayboy
AIRBORNE
Smith700
Big-R
ClayW
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-02-10

HID Lights Problem. Empty
PostSubject: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Hey guys. I have a question. Need opinions. I am on a shoe string budget with my Rhino. My side income had been down big time. 15k last yr.... Anyway. I bought some poor boys HID lights off ebay. Great price. 2 friends run them with no trouble. I installed them and they work. But... The are flickering like hell. The part that concerns me the most is the fact that the entire headlight assembly is getting HOT AS HELL. You cant even touch the Headlight lens on the outside. Will burn your ass. The back side is quite hot too. You can also see smoke forming on the inside of the lens housing. I'm scared something is going to melt. I am uninstalling the kit and contacting the ebay member. His feedback is 100% with 350+ transactions. So hopefully I wont have any trouble. But... What the hell is causing this problem. Its all plug and play except for one ground and hot wire. They splice into the factory headlight harness. Im stumped. Didn't have this problem with Clayboys kit. I would have bought another kit from Clayboy, but things are very tight right now. Every penny counts right now.... Anyway.... What do you think the problem could be? Bad egg? POS?

Thanks

Clay
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 pm

I would wait on Clayboys input on this one. He is getting good with the HIDs.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah. I would be curious of what he thinks.. I will prob end up buying some from him... Possibly in a few weeks.... But I'm going to Windrock Friday and Saturday to ride. Needed a cheap fix to get me thru the end of the month. Thought I would try these.... Stockers suck.... Apparently these do too.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 pm

clayboy should be able to help you..... and if you want some CHEAP lighting....go to walmart and get some lights with blue lens....they are 20$ for 2 of them i have them on mine, much brighter than stock
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Yeah. I planned on doing some night riding. But now.... Damn..... VERY annoying.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 pm

ClayW wrote:
Yeah. I planned on doing some night riding. But now.... Damn..... VERY annoying.
Spent 40 bucks on bulbs to replace the J-Strong light bulbs. Worthless. Spent 96 bucks each for bumper mounted HIDs.....WOW!!
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:13 am

Sounds like they might be 55 watt. 35 watt is watt you want. Are they 5K, 6K, 8K ect?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 am

Per our discussion last night, appeal to the guy's good nature and see if he will send you another set. I hope you get it worked out. I know you have a ride this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:22 am

clayboy lighted up my nite lites baby. lmao
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 am

The ballast/ignitor says 35w +or- 3w. They are suppose to be 8k. The ballast and ignitor are a all in one unit on this set. Clay, yours were separate. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy. LT are your fog lights sold individually or as a set?
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 am

35W at 6K seems to work the best. Sounds like the Rhino electrical system is just not liking the setup of these lights. Hopefully he will trade out with you.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm

ClayW wrote:
LT are your fog lights sold individually or as a set?

Individually. They used to 96 dollars each....price went up to about 109. I did find them for 99 each awhile back and posted a link in here. They were a little different color of the housing but they looked like the ones I have.

They are really bright

http://www.hidfoglight.com/productsAndServices/hid4Trucklight.html
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah. They are $125 now... At Oreillys
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Use the link I put up there. They are the same light....only cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Hell yeah!! Good find!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
clayboy lighted up my nite lites baby. lmao

He did me too. A set of Bumper mounts form Clay, turn night into day.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 3:44 pm

ClayW wrote:
Hey guys. I have a question. Need opinions. I am on a shoe string budget with my Rhino. My side income had been down big time. 15k last yr.... Anyway. I bought some poor boys HID lights off ebay. Great price. 2 friends run them with no trouble. I installed them and they work. But... The are flickering like hell. The part that concerns me the most is the fact that the entire headlight assembly is getting HOT AS HELL. You cant even touch the Headlight lens on the outside. Will burn your ass. The back side is quite hot too. You can also see smoke forming on the inside of the lens housing. I'm scared something is going to melt. I am uninstalling the kit and contacting the ebay member. His feedback is 100% with 350+ transactions. So hopefully I wont have any trouble. But... What the hell is causing this problem. Its all plug and play except for one ground and hot wire. They splice into the factory headlight harness. Im stumped. Didn't have this problem with Clayboys kit. I would have bought another kit from Clayboy, but things are very tight right now. Every penny counts right now.... Anyway.... What do you think the problem could be? Bad egg? POS?

Thanks

Clay
Call Jim Burke, Burke motor sports in Cupertino Cal. Ran his lights for years 6k bulbs 5 year waranty $100.00 shipped to you. I have ordered over a dozen sets for other people an none of them have ever had the first problem. Very good man to deal with. Thanks Rhino Nut.
Back to top Go down
garnog

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 6:51 pm

garnog wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Rhino-HID-Factory-Replacement-Light-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c106a0218QQitemZ120534467096QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Rhino nut reccomended them. I just posted the link.
Sorry I ment to leave a link but forgot, This link above is for the large Ballast, I recomend the slim ballast it save alot of room under the hood,The large ballast is $75.00 shipped to you an the slim ballast is $100.00 shipped to you an I would spend the extra $25.00 an get the slim ones. Thanks Rhino Nut
Back to top Go down
garnog

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HID Lights Problem.   HID Lights Problem. Empty

Back to top Go down

HID Lights Problem.
Page 1 of 1