SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

We have not had this problem...

Go down 
+9
orangecrush
wvyankee2
GunRunner
STR8RZR
Big-R
Gimpy
Goose
KY. Colonel
ridepate
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

We have not had this problem...  Empty
PostSubject: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 12:06 am

That I know of....If you don't have enough gas. We will get you some. Don't haul spare gas in your ride...And you can yak on about how your Rotopax is safe.....It's not. It's not any safer than a $6.00, 2gal from the truck stop....With kids this scares the crap out of me.....I've NEVER been a advocate of hauling gas other than in the tank.... I know this is a sand-flea situation, But I have witnessed a doughnut gone wrong with one of our members that was carrying a gascan who got drenched in gas. It could have been really bad......It's not worth it..... http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-4-1000/127224-fire.html

Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 1:49 am

good message.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Wow. No more carry gasy
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Hot dog cooking time there.  Chef 
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 10:48 pm

I think there is more to this then an extra can of gas. I always carry a can and have not had a problem yet.

Gunny had cold water dump down his back not gas.
Back to top Go down
STR8RZR
SSXSRider Staff
STR8RZR

Number of posts : 896
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 am

I do carry a 2 gallon can on occasion, and I'll admit it scares the hell out of me. Was keeping it in the bed but last couple times I've put it in the rear floorboard. Not really sure which way would be safer or if either one would be.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 3:09 pm

I used one of these for years, never leaked a drop on any ride. and it mounts secure, I would not use a  CandyAss plastic can because of something like this.
http://www.rjroffroad.com/universal-jerry-can-holder-offroad-pr-18432.html
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 am

I like my Rotopax. Nice and secure and twice as thick as other plastics. Vapor pressure is no issue.

We have not had this problem...  Rotopa13
Back to top Go down
orangecrush
SSXSRider Staff
orangecrush

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2011-01-14

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am

Big-R wrote:
I think there is more to this then an extra can of gas.  I always carry a can and have not had a problem yet.  

The whole story is the gas can had already leaked all of it's gas out. It's bad enough that a ton of these 1000's have caught fire anyways but if you have a gas can leaking, that's the problem.

The rotax can is thicker than a normal plastic gas can. Though I don't know, the can was probably either a cheap, thin version or had leaked out because it rubbed a hole in it.

In either case, I think this is a freak accident. I mean seriously, when is the last time you heard of a gas can leaking gas out of it assuming the lid is put on correctly.

Ya'll can stop carrying gas in your buggies if you want but when it's 2am and we're still 30 miles from camp and your light is flashing, you can ask to borrow some then.

Mark
Back to top Go down
DrMud
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2012-12-02

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 am

The beds of a rzr get hot, mine is worse on the header side, melted a few bed cover plugs. Even had a mud flame up one time in the center of the motor, had another friend have one on his muffler header that we got out with a fire extinguisher. I have since heat shielded everything. These are issues to consider. I have a bed cover now too.

I carry gas on long runs and will empty can in tank when low enough, never have liked running low at night still long way from the truck.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:00 am

Thing is most of the newer machines can go 100+ miles on a tank even playing on hills, I try to fill up before a night ride though. In all my years of riding I only needed the extra gas once from riding so far.

I think the rotax cans are safe, I would mount in a secure location if there was a rollover the gas can would be protected -that is my fear when carrying one.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 12:37 pm

I carry a small rotax can on mine now. It does not leak a drop. Mine is mounted to a lock and ride box in my back seat. Sitting right above the stock gas tank. I've seen a stock tank dented in and seen them with sticks stuck through.. They aren't all that strong. I know for a fact a rotax can will take much more of a lick then the stock tank will.. And before you say well the stock tank is better protected.. No its not lol... I don't need gas on the trail much as long as I fill up before we head out.. But I have ran out at windrock on the way back to camp at night before. XP4 900 is not fun to tow back... So now I carry fuel...

BTW here is where mine is mounted
We have not had this problem...  IMG_1744_zpsf2a9aa16
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Bad news
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Thats just a Polaris in its typical habitat. I agree though if you cary gas you need to be real safe with it. I have carried gas for years without an issue..."knock on wood"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We have not had this problem...    We have not had this problem...  Empty

Back to top Go down

We have not had this problem...
Page 1 of 1