SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tow Rig problem solved....

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Tow Rig problem solved.... Empty
PostSubject: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Ok, I own a Jeep wrangler... 2000lb max towing capacity. not much room for gear either... i've been searching for a cheap reliable tow rig for about 6weeks. And also toying with the idea of buying a brand new Z71. i've been using my wife's Tahoe and my brothers Z71.

but, tonight... I finally don't have to worry about towing my Rhino anymore. I put a deposit down on a 98 Tahoe, 2 door 4x4. I will pick it up tomorrow. 80k miles on it and i picked it up for 7k.

talk about excited... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 pm

well......with the money rollin around up in Decatur...COUGH YOUR HOUSE COUGH.....I need one too. My little tacoma just isnt up to the task! LOL! lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Laughing well, i guess i can sell you my new tahoe for the low low price of 20k.

what's wrong with the Tacoma? those are not exactly cheap... lol!

EDIT: meant to tell ya that it's easy to have the kind of money
you're talking about.... just go to Walmart and buy 2 or 3 games
monopoly... :afro:
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 pm

2.7L 4 cyl LOL!!!! It hardly pulls itself!!! Rolling Eyes

Hey......I'd go broke just buying the game! lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:40 pm

didn't i see you in an SUV of some sort up at Windrock?? maybe i'm mistaken...
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 pm

A Ford Explorer Sport Trac....which wasnt mine. LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 am

my lil nissan frontier dont do to shabby

Tow Rig problem solved.... 100_0118

could use the extra 2 to make it a v-8 though...but never let me down so far
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 am

I wished I had your extra 2!!! Cuz mine doesnt do shabby at all! No
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 am

thinkin bout lift & 33's on it next its gettin jealous of all $$$ spent on the rhino
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:30 am

I have 3in lift on my Tcoma...with 33 12.50's! That definately made the shabby fly out the window! affraid
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 am

ya i think id rock some 33 12.50's or maybe wider jut to piss people off when it rains throw a nice roost while crusin
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 3:27 am

Wheels, congrats on the new truck (suv).

What color is the new taehoe an what package does it have on it. I bet its got the LT or LTZ package after you drove your brothers z71 and saw mine. Not sure what the 98' luxury package came with though.

At least its a Chevy!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 am

it's got leather, cruise, etc. it's pretty much loaded really. the only thing i'm not sure about.. is if it's got the Z71 package on it. I don't really care if it does or not... to be honest. it's still a nice truck/SUV.

i know what you guys mean about the 33's... i've got a 2.5 budget boost and 32's on my jeep wrangler... along with other goodies. it works fine wheelin' and driving.... but, towing with it is a different story.

EDIT: it's Green... and not a scratch or dent anywhere. i'm pleased with the condition considering it's 10yrs old.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 am

Only diff from the 4x4 to Z71 is skid plates, heavier duty shocks and decals.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 am

Wheels being a 98 is it the 5.3L v8 or which one? Think there was some engines before 2000 that you do not want. If its the 5.3L its the best one, i've read.

The 2wd will tow just as well as a 4wd. Mine is 2wd and you saw it pull just as well when you were in a z71.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 pm

i think i'm going to get the build sheet from chevrolet... to make sure what it has and doesn't have.

as for the engine... it's the 5.7 V8. i've heard great things about this engine, so... we'll see.

i'll post pic's after i get it.... picking it up tonight.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 pm

5.7 is the good old 350 CI motor that powered chevys since the late sixtys.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Mudxtc

Mudxtc

Number of posts : 106

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 pm

98 Chevy's w/ the 5.7 should be a VORTEC, if it is you will be happy,,,,,,,,,just keep the PCV changed regularly and all should be good! I have owned several of them and the are good for atleast 200k if you take care of it! The only "weak link" on these is the transmission, so stay on top of fluid changes and if you do have problems out of the trans, it's not the end of the world just make sure the shop you choose does all the updates to it and you will be very happy!

Couple more little things to keep your eyes on:
Rear pinion seals tend to leak on them
Front axle actuator's tend to not work too well if it gets really cold (I installed a posi-lock manual engager on all of mine)
Factory shocks WILL give up the ghost at around 100K (put some Edelbrocks on it)

Now for my favorite mods:
K&N filter charger
Optima Yellow top battery
Magnaflow catback
Hyper-tech
Pulley's
JBA Shorty headers
Performance throttle body and phenolic spacer
Upgrade to 265/75R16 tires if they haven't been changed from the weenie 245's
I also put a set of Z-71 Tahoe wheels off a 2004 Tahoe on my last one before I sold it-they looked sweet on it! (and they were pretty cheep too)
Definately upgrade the front rotors to a cross-drilled and slotted style rotor also! The 98's weren't known for being great stoppers, I also went ahead and purchased a rear disc brake conversion for mine and it helped tremendously!

Good Luck and CONGRATS on the new rig!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Mud... i might have some questions for you over the next couple of months, if you don't mind. you must know these vehicles well...

thanks for all the info, i appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Mudxtc

Mudxtc

PostSubject: Chebby   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Wheels wrote:
Mud... i might have some questions for you over the next couple of months, if you don't mind. you must know these vehicles well...

thanks for all the info, i appreciate it.

Anytime, just let me know what you need to know!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 am

yup, brought it home tonight... rides very nice.
Back to top Go down
Tellico450

Tellico450

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 12:20 am

now maybe I can get a lift to windrock. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 1:45 pm

not a problem Telli... you just have to make it up here(decatur). and of course... bring a big enough trailer. 👅
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 10:51 pm

hey Mud... silly question, but what's a PCV? i'm taking it in for preventative maintenance and that might be something i get them to look at... if possible.
Back to top Go down
Mudxtc

Mudxtc

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 12:11 am

Wheels wrote:
hey Mud... silly question, but what's a PCV? i'm taking it in for preventative maintenance and that might be something i get them to look at... if possible.

Not silly! Shocked Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, it is a spring loaded valve located in the valve cover that recirculates burnt hydrocarbons inside the engine back into the combustion chamber,,,,,,,,,,it also keeps the engine from building up too much positive pressure in the crankcase, so it wont blow out the seals...............kinda the short version!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tow Rig problem solved....   Tow Rig problem solved.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Tow Rig problem solved....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next