SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Charging problem??

Go down 
+3
Gimpy
AIRBORNE
st4wheel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
st4wheel
SSXSRider Member
st4wheel

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

I just replaced my factory batt. for a larger one(its a 30) in my '10-S and It still wont start more than a couple times. Runs great when jumped off but wont take a charge. When I start it w/the charger hooked up the amps jump all the way up so i think the alternator is working. Is there a common charging issue I should check. I could have gotten a bad batt. out of the box but that seems unlikely. Im not to great at this type of issue so any help is much appreciated???
Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Seems like someone else had this problem and it was the main ground behind the seat, if my memory serves me correctly. Let us know if you get it pinned down.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm

I cleaned Rita's ground on the frame under the seat on the last Wind Rock ride for the same issue. Last I heard it was doing fine. Clean with a wire brush.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:41 pm

put the rzr in service mode on your speedo. you can see what its charging and what the battery is putting out. start it up and rev it up and see what it goes up to. i had to replace my battery and regulator because it was over charging. check for codes also

also check your ground on the frame like airborne said.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
st4wheel
SSXSRider Member
st4wheel

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks alot for the info guys working on it tonight and I'll def let you know what it was! Another prob. is making sure its fixed . When I replaced the batt. I also did some other stuff to it so moved around the garage several times and in and out of the garage and started great until I got to Windrock this weekend then started once and never again.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 am

check the grounds and hots where they connect behind the battery, clean and add dielectric grease also check wires going to the regulator in front of the radiator.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
st4wheel
SSXSRider Member
st4wheel

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 am

OK so far I put it in service mode and it shows 12-12.5 and when i rev it only goes to 14 so i guess thats correct. Not overcharging and doesn't need regulator. The only code it throws is #26. I googled that and got ALOT of info on rzrs showing that code. Some say its nothing that its a speedo code and if ur speedo is working ignore it. I also read polaris finally put out a bulletin about it but not sure what they say to do. Some say the ecm needs to be re-mapped or re-flashed. Either way dont think its related to my problem.Tonight I'll clean and di.-grease my hots and main ground under seat and I guess hope for the best. I have the feeling I wont know till the next ride. Basically I won't have done anything except the cleaning of connections. Can I have a bad battery and the speedo show the correct voltages in the service mode?? I had just charged batt. so it would start!
Back to top Go down
Boliver
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 am

If you have a new bat.and the engine want turnover when you mash the brake and turn the key to start it could be the switch on a brake line behind the driver seat where the line split off to each back wheel..

This happened to mine,it would start at times an at others nothing...If your machine is doing this, cross out the wires at this switch and then do the regular start procedure,if it starts it could be this switch..This pressure switch is 24 and change from a dealer

OR you can check this pressure switch with a volt tester...

Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 am

forget code 26, its a glitch code that means nothing on a usa model, it was for the international models. Sounds like everything is working fine, since the only thing you changed before having the issue was the battery id say you got a bad one.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 pm

does the charged battery stary it a few times?
if so it sounds like you may have a short somewhere that is draining the the battery.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
st4wheel
SSXSRider Member
st4wheel

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Yes it does and I just had the new battery tested and its good so I hope wire brushing and dielectric grease on the main ground and any other connections i can find does the trick.I hope its not a needle in a haystack thing!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm

if your getting 14 volts when running going in from the hot terminal to the battery, and your ground is good,then your good if the battery is good. Ive seen batteries that have shorts in them check good sometimes and bad others. If it does it again, id switch batteries
Back to top Go down
Dino
SSXSRider Member
Dino

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Mine is in the shop again because it would not start. It has stranded me twice. The dealer replaced the starter and when I got it back it still did not seem right (dragging). I thought I had a bad Battery and replaced it with the oddessy and it started but still was dragging. It stranded me again. My Polaris dealer says it is the starter again. The dealer said everything else checked out and had to be a faulty starter. It is suppose to be in tomorrow. Glad I bought the extended warranty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Charging problem?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging problem??   Charging problem?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Charging problem??
Page 1 of 1