SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Possible transmission problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Go4low

Go4low

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Possible transmission problem Empty
PostSubject: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Has anyone had a grinding noise come from there Rzr after coming out of hard acceleration. It starts just as you go to stop and pops when you take back off just for a split second
Back to top Go down
bashley

bashley

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 pm

yes, what year rzr? the 2010 model had alot of transmission problems.
Back to top Go down
Go4low

Go4low

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:34 pm

08. And I think it's in the frOnt diff.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 pm

It probably is. I have an 09 that sounded just like you describe. If you grab the front of the prop shaft and move it there should be some movement from the factory about 1/16 should be OK. Anything more and something has came apart. Check the fluid to see if there is any trash, metal or plastic, (if you still have the plastic bearing carrier). Also look around the seal at the pinion to see if you have any fluid loss. Its normally one of the two, the pinion bearing failed, or the bearing carrier seal failed.

The sound carriers down the prop shaft tunnel and is also carried through the prop shaft it self. That is why it sounds like its coming from the rear. Just a FYI, if you do have to pull the diff I would recommend pulling the prop shaft and replacing the universal joints or you could be doing this again soon. The slop in the universal is a major contributor to the failure of the pinion bearing seal.

If you can, go with a 2011 or newer diff, which already has the aluminum bearing carrier and the pinion output seal area is completely redesigned, you will be much better off.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Go4low

Go4low

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Is the spline count on the axles the same as mine.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes. The standard and S, (not sure about the XP) of all models 2008 through 2012 have the same inner and outer cv's, which of course match any of those year diffs. Only the axle is different.

Popo part number
1332538 JOINT-CV,INNER
Back to top Go down
Go4low

Go4low

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Cool. I think I may just buy another diff. Keep an eye out for me one.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 pm

I waited until a used 11 came available.....I think I paid $600.00 for it. Well worth it. I bought it off ebay.

Do you know what failed yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible transmission problem   Possible transmission problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible transmission problem
Page 1 of 1