SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lets talk tires......

Go down 
+24
orangecrush
Mud-and-Guts
MuddyBuddy
Foxfire
ridepate
nocerisdave
Craig_C
yard_dawg
blu-knight
pit dog
jlsh4e
Hellrzr
Sporto
2Slow4U
Goose
bush
vrodrex
AIRBORNE
Smith700
wvyankee2
Clayboy
Hollon
Big-R
RangeRover
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-12-29

Lets talk tires...... Empty
PostSubject: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am

Just wondering what everybody runs on there SXS........Thinking about Interco Swamplite or Reptile.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

This is always a fun topic. I have GCB Grim Reapers. They are a great tire so far.

You might want to consider a GCB tire. You have 14" rims which a very prone to side wall puncture.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

I have ran the stock goodyears that came on my XTZ then went with Swamplites for a while, then went with some Bighorns for about 2 rides, finally installed a set of Pitbull Growlers and have found my sweet spot. the Growlers hook like the swamplites, and ride better than any before and are 8 ply sides. I run 27.5x 11x14 (rears) of coarse. AWESOME tire!
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 am

I ran the Swamplites for a while and really liked the traction, best I have had, but they did not last long and got a few holes. I ran the Reptiles for a short time with very good luck but only had the machine for about 200 miles so I don't know how long they will last. I ran XTR's for about 500 miles on my RZR and had to plug them every ride. (must have been something I was doing wrong cause others have had better luck) I'm on Bighorns now and have not had any bad luck yet. Tire choice has to be up to you, you have to be the first one to like them!
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

The Bighorns came on the Prowler. I like a little more tread then that allright
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 12:11 pm

NCxtz wrote:
The Bighorns came on the Prowler. I like a little more tread then that allright

You are correct, they are not the most aggressive tread, but they do last a long time. Wink
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Bighorns
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 pm

There is a guy on WATVC that says you can get around 5K miles on a set of Bighorns. I have 3K on mine.....and they still have around 50% tread. I would not reccomend XTRs on 14" rims. Especially if they aren't the new style. Personally I am a Bighorn fan....they have took me everywhere I have wanted to go, and a couple places I didn't want to go!! affraid And they last a really long time. If you are wanting a lot more traction than Bighorns, I would check out the GBC Spartacus tires. They are 8 ply radial....
Lets talk tires...... Spartacus_Large
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 pm

I am going with Grim Reapers for my next set. I like the Bighorns too. BH give a smooth ride, and a very tough tire to boot.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
vrodrex

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 pm

I put 26" Reptiles on my King Quad. I really like the tires, other than being out of round (hmmm...Interco's famous trademark). Traction wise I'm always amazed at how and where they hook up (I'm not a "mudder"), but general trail mud, snow, rock, etc. they do really good. I have a few hill climbs on my property that are steep and technical and I always end up with the front end in the air when the tires hook up, be it muddy or in the snow. THe only place they lack is not much of a side wall lug to pull you out of deep ruts. I've only got about 300 miles on them but they still look new (very little pavement). I've got a set to put on the Teryx when I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 pm

GBC tires are great. but they run small IMO

big horns are the best for me but the $ is affraid if i end up keeping my S i think i will put some 28 or 29 inch GBC dirt tamers. i have a set of 27 dirt tamers setting in the barn with 1500miles and they have been great. i did put a hole in the sidewall on one but it was my fault
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I have new Reapers. Won't really know how they do till we go to WR in a couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Bighorns
Ditto, for the original Hornies, not the 2.0s

When I was a noob and wanting to replace the lousy stockers on my Rhino, I researched the $shit out of tires before going with the original Bighorns. Thats a lot of $$ to make a poor decision, especially since it's tough to unload "used tires" for anything close to what you paid for them. I don't regret my decision at all...

IMO, you simply can't go wrong with Bighorns. There may be better tires for certain circumstances, but when you combine the way they wear, the way they hold up without punctures, their ride/handling and their overall trail performance in all types of conditions -- even acknowledging their weakness in sticky mud if you can't spin them to clean them -- you can't go wrong with the Big Hornies.

When enough time has passed that we hear consistent stories of 3 or 4 or 5 thousand troublefree miles riding similar conditions on these new designs -- I might have enough miles on my OG Bighorns that I'd be thinking it's time to replace them... until then, I'm a happy camper... and I'll spend my $$ elsewhere rather than conducting expensive experiments....

Last edited by KentT on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Sporto
SSXSRider Member
Sporto

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 pm

All I got to say is that I love my Reapers! GBC makes a great tire IMO.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Hollon wrote:
I have ran the stock goodyears that came on my XTZ then went with Swamplites for a while, then went with some Bighorns for about 2 rides, finally installed a set of Pitbull Growlers and have found my sweet spot. the Growlers hook like the swamplites, and ride better than any before and are 8 ply sides. I run 27.5x 11x14 (rears) of coarse. AWESOME tire!

I'm guessing you went with 27.5x9x14 in the front.....any trouble with rubbing?
Back to top Go down
Hellrzr

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

I have had XTRs, Big horns and Swamplites. The XTRs are by far the best gripping tire then the Swamplites then Big horns. As far as though nest Big Horns, XTRs Swamplites.

Now if you have 14" rims I would look into getting GBC or Pit Bulls. They are very tough tires and I have seen all other tires in 14" wheels with side wall pinches.
Back to top Go down
jlsh4e
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm

If you don't mind the wait the real benefit of a 14" wheel is you can run a small truck tire . Interco has some of the best available like tried and proven TSL

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=18&g=1

or the ssr

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=9&g=1

They are a lil heavy but proven to last and tough as nails

I have some rockers I will put on at a great price .
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 pm

I have a set of pit bull growlers 27.5 x 9 x 12 all the way around. About 550 miles,almost no wear. And the are awesome. Crazy bite,ride super smooth & also clean out very well They are a little heavy but 8 ply and real nice rim protection and are 28 in tall.Lets talk tires...... Dsc01112
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Pit Bulls on the Pit Dog's are pretty mean. thatsright
Back to top Go down
blu-knight
SSXSRider Member
blu-knight

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am

Well I will chime in and give you my 2 cents. I have set of 14'' swamplites on one of my RZRs. They have great traction but I have had to plug them many times. I have about 900 miles on them. If you had 12" rims then they would be alot better. My dad runs 12" swamplites on his Rhino and has yet to plug one. I have a set of bighorns on my 2011 RZR and so far I have been impressed with them.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 am

RangeRover wrote:
Hollon wrote:

I'm guessing you went with 27.5x9x14 in the front.....any trouble with rubbing?

yeah they rub a little against the floor board when in a bind and turning and I have mine lifted about as much as you can without long travel suspension, I also run 1.1/5" spacers, I think the spacers may cause some of the rub. these tires out preform the Bighorns in every way including quietness and ride quality, a little heavy but its 8 ply what would ya expect.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 am

Ohh if you choose Bighorns I have 3 almost brand new one I will gladly sell ya. 2 front 1 back 26x14. I did one ride one them. less than 100 miles.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am

Think I'm leaning towards the Pitbulls....... humper
Back to top Go down
yard_dawg

yard_dawg

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am

Well I have a Set of 27 bighorns for my spring summer riding, and a set of 28 swamp lights for winter. Both tires have the good and bad. I went this rout because we ride mostly mud here and the bighorns just don't get it done in the winter time. I like both.
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 am

Well I run 25" GBC Dirt Commanders. I do agree that GBC runs small, the 25's measure 25 at the top of the tread.

I have a friend with 2000 miles on a Rzr S and the Big Horns still have great tread.....alot of those miles were road miles too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk tires......   Lets talk tires...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Lets talk tires......
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next