SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warn or Polaris?

Go down 
+7
nocerisdave
PWM
chipper
ridepate
Big-R
GunRunner
AIRBORNE
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 12:16 pm

I had a Warn 3.0XT on my Rhino. I have a Warn 2.5RT on the S. I have/had the wireless remote system on both and loved it. I think the 3.0XT is one helluva winch. My question is, do you guys think the Polaris 4500lb winch is better than the Warn? Does the Polaris winch have wireless remote?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Polaris winches are now all made in china, and a warn 3k is stronger than the china made 4500. Ive had both
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:10 pm

From what I have heard, they they are the same winch.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Big-R wrote:

I'll put this out for debate from experience. If you buy a Warn, it's fine if you don't submerge it on a regular basis. A Warn is not tolerant of water when submerged in water , and I'm talking about 3-days a week like my stuffs subjected to. It will freeze-up and quit, period.
That being said. You pay more for the name. Warns are made in China just like the Vipers and Venoms.
The Warn contactors are a little more robust , and are spec'd a little higher than the Chinos, but the housings and seals are less-quaility.

I bought Mike, Z06-08 , a 6k Warn for his Rhino. He got it wet about the same number of times my Viper-5k did. His was about 450.00, mine was 249.00. His quit in the first 3-months. We took the motor apart and it was full of water. The gearcase was full of sand and water too.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 am

It could also be the quality of the warn you buy also. $450 for a 6000# warn winch sound cheap or a extremely good deal... Anyhow I bought a 3000# warn 5 years ago for my 4 wheeler and gave around 400 or so for it. My 4 wheeler stayed under water and in the mud, Lots of winter rides with my drum brakes freezing up. After I got my rzr I took the winch off and took it apart to clean it up reall good. The motor and gears all looked good and everything that was sealed all was in great shape. It hasn't failed me once which is important that it's ready to be use when I need it. With that said if I didn't have that warn I would have got a viper winch elite, I've read very few complaints on them and they are 1/2 the price of a warn.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am

I was just checking out moto alliance's web site, they make a viper winches. I saw what looks like a pretty good deal with a 3000# winch, I thought i'd share it with you.

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=gotoProductDetails&id=489
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:38 am

Be Leary of moto alliance as they ship anything they have even if it is not the part you ordered. I am dealing with this even as I type.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Warns are made in China just like the Vipers and Venoms.

I bought Mike, Z06-08 , a 6k Warn for his Rhino. .

BigR, Warn did back up to about 05 let Polaris sell their winches branded Polaris but then Polaris stopped and made a deal with a china winch company to produce winches branded Polaris, china is stamped on every winch box now from polaris.

As far as what RidePate says, Im calling Bullshit ALL Warn ATV and SXS winches are made in the USA, and warn doesnt even make a 6k ATV/SXS winch they only go to 4k. (Warn's 6k is a truck/suv model and not waterproof) ALL of the atv/sxs XT & RT models are fully water proof. Mine has been on 3 machines and under water at least a 100 times, and works like a charm.
If you doubt where Warns are made, give them a call;
Warn Industries, Inc. Customer Service:
12900 S.E. Capps Road 1.800.543.9276
Clackamas, Oregon 97015
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 pm

It was a RT40 Gunny, not a 60. my typo. And it was 459.00. But none the less just bad-luck?? Who knows. I know of 5 in the last 7 years that got wet and quit. I had a RT25?? I thnk it was, on my Artic-Cat quad and it had a plastic-gear-housing that stripped from being full of sand and water. Not knocking them, just personal experiences with them have not been good.

Not all parts made in U.S.A- Easy web-search results, just a few...........

"For those that don't know it.Warn markets their winches as made in USA.To me they are halfbreeds.In my reasearch for buying a winch I had even called Warn and asked where were they made and was told in USA.Long story short I paid more for a Warn over a compairable winch to support US made products.But while upacking winch after purchase the first three items out of box were marked made in China.Pissed off I called Warn and asked where made again.Told USA.When confronted the rep finally disclosed that many parts on their winches were imports including the heart of the beast the motor.With no apologies his excuse was that they can't get some of the parts in the states.I feel as I was misled.That they should be called assembled in USA from domestic and import parts.I sent a offical e-mail to warn expressing my displeasure on the issue.There was no response what so ever.So they must not care about customer satisfaction.If I had a do over I would have went with a Superwinch who IMO are just as good and are up front where they or the parts are made.Just thought some of you would like to know. "

"Have been lookin for winch for awhile. Searched and found that northridge 4x4,
a project-jk sponsor, got in a shipment recently. Got in a 9.5ti,...from them. Had my brother do the install. He got it all wired up and asked for the remote control.
I go to the box and pull it out . What do I see a sticker "MADE IN CHINA". I am thinking WTF, I searched the forum and thought for close to a grand I wouldn't be getting some cheap piece of crap from China. Then he finishes the install and I see this gap in the top metal parts of the winch that secures the electronics...I say" What did you do..tweak the thing"...he says no..you are the one that is a cheap bastard that bought Chinese shit., its f*cked up because it cheap Chinese
crap."

Last edited by ridepate on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Don't know about all the particulars of where every component is made, but I do know I loved my XT3.0. Ronnie also got his replaced when it got burnt up. I don't go in mud and water unless absolutely necessary, so that is not a huge concern. Viper also got consideration from me, but I like the Warn wireless remote and synthetic rope setup. Will likely give it another shot. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I have a Ramsey 3500 that is 10 years old. Works great.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 pm

GunRunner wrote:
ALL Warn ATV and SXS winches are made in the USA
If you doubt where Warns are made, give them a call;
Warn Industries, Inc. Customer Service:
12900 S.E. Capps Road 1.800.543.9276
Clackamas, Oregon 97015

Warn has a "minimal" final assembly process on their Winches in Oregon, with all major components imported from Asia. They also have a Plant in Mexico built in 2003, so i would say that most of their winches are being made there now. Here is the "about Warn" corporate statement. You won't find "Made in the USA" mentioned anywhere on there. Why? Because it is a Myth, and they are going to keep it that way.

http://www.warn.com/corporate/about_us.shtml

Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 am

Like i said if you ask them "about the atv/sxs they say made in USA. not sure about the other of their many models and products but regardless if it has a part made here or there, they make a great durable winch in my experience with mine, much more so than the china polaris 3500 and the 4500 china made gorilla. My Warn XT3000 pulls harder and has never given a issue and its been on 3 different machines and in the dirt,mud and water many times.
Back to top Go down
mrwizardd83
Forum Sponsor
mrwizardd83

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I just bought the Super ATV winch for my XP...... It seems to be holding up pretty good so far. It comes with a wired and wireless remote control. AND their customer service is GREAT!!
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Rugged Ridge 4500lb - $200 can't beat it - used it many times already and works great.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:40 pm

PWM wrote:
Be Leary of moto alliance as they ship anything they have even if it is not the part you ordered. I am dealing with this even as I type.

I hate to hear you've had trouble with them. My experience has be quite the opposite. I haven't needed to use the winch but two times so far but it's worked well both times(not counting the time when I had the cable wound on the spool backwards). I have switched out my cable for the synthetic line and wound it on correctly! Moto alliance got me a new line stopper,hook and strap very quickly and correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warn or Polaris? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warn or Polaris?   Warn or Polaris? Empty

Back to top Go down

Warn or Polaris?
Page 1 of 1