SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

gas or diesel?

Go down 
+14
STR8RZR
DOG
Gimpy
RZR_Joe
Cuz
BluDevil
Goose
ohsresq
RZRS-EDGE
DoddS
Big-R
njcraddock
chadboehne
girdlerrzr
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2011-02-15

gas or diesel? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 am

IF you do gas go Ford Eco boost. It is a great towing truck. If your going heavier than those machines then start to look at diesel.

We own a bunch of Fleet vehicles and have run them all. Ford is by far the best. Good Luck with your purchase. You will know whats right when you see it. I would look hard at that eco boost Ford F150
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm

It sounds like you need a gas truck. If I needed a daily driver and for pulling around 8k or less I'd buy a Tundra all day long. We loved ours. It would pull my 26' cargo/toyhauler pretty well. Was a great truck. I almost bought a second one but didnt' want to of the exact same truck. Ended up getting a duramax cause all the other gas trucks werent quite up to the tow rating as our tundra. Don't get me wrong I really really like my Duramax. But most of the time its just hauling my butt around. Cost of the tuck Fuel and maintence all cost more on it then a gas truck. I don't care I still like it. It does tow like a dream. My tundra would pull my trailer at what ever speed I wanted on what ever hill. It would down shift like crazy to do it and it would not stop as well. With my duramax It will run up a mountain going 75 and never shift gears. Just cruises right up. Set the exhaust brake and it will cruise right down the other side same speed with out me every touching anything. Wether you really need it or not they will spoil you. Resale is higher on diesels and the life of the truck should be longer.

Like others said though if all your thinking about is pulling a SxS on a flat bed. Almost anything will handle that. If your already considering a toy hauler then I'd really look hard at them and figure out now what you might get later. There isn't a ton of options out there for 1/2 towable toyhaulers. Honestly a lot of the ones that say they are, aren't.. Once you load the trailer you are at the very upper limit or past on a 1/2 ton. Even if you are just with in the weight limit it will be a handful to tow. I can almost promise you all the guys that say their 1/2 ton pulls their loaded hauler great, would at the very least down grade their opinion if they pulled the same trailer with a good diesel truck... I use to say our Tundra did Great pulling our trailer. After I bought the duramax I honestly don't think I ever hooked the tundra to it again. It got knocked down to boat trailer and flat bed hauling only. Its not that it did bad. Its just it went from very manageable in the tundra to, oh yeah the toy hauler is behind us in the duramax.. It also went from we have to stop cause of the gas light vs with the duramax we stop cause my wife has to pee..
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

I am new to the diesel world costs are high but that sucker can pull. Like the guys say going up hill no down shift it just goes. Had a 5.4 f150 that did great but the 250 6.7 is a completely different world. Good luck on your decision.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 8:09 pm

After seeing Diesel jump to $4.15 here today, I don't what to say. As far as sites to look, I bought may last 3 trucks and 2 SUV's on Autotrader.com. Some were also listed on Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 pm

There is a possibility of getting a toyhauler later on. So right now im kind of leaning towards the diesel side. Plus most of my time on weekends is hauling and riding. I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima that I bought new in 04 and only has 151k miles. So I don't drive personal vehicles much. I see where yall say the cost of maintenance is much higher? What is different to maintain from gas to diesel?
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 am

I have a 2012 ram 1500 hemi and really like it. Pulling my rzr I can sometimes get 14.5-15 mpg and unloaded ive got up 22mpg on the hwy. It is a regular cab 2wd tho. You can get really good deals on them with the express package also.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 am

maintenance is more cause of the cost of things like filters and oil.. My truck takes almost 3 gallons of oil. Oil filter is larger and a little more $$. Fuel filter every couple oil changes which is like 30 bucks.. Think my air filter runs almost 50.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

And if you have a dually then you have to replace 6 tires instead of just 4. Insurance, taxes, and tags are higher. Diesels also cost a LOT more to repair than a gasser. That's why everyone is saying to get a half ton unless you are really planning on towing heavy loads.
Back to top Go down
Reeko
SSXSRider Member
Reeko

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2012-05-30

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 am

girdlerrzr wrote:
There is a possibility of getting a toyhauler later on. So right now im kind of leaning towards the diesel side. Plus most of my time on weekends is hauling and riding. I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima that I bought new in 04 and only has 151k miles. So I don't drive personal vehicles much. I see where yall say the cost of maintenance is much higher? What is different to maintain from gas to diesel?

Yep, 3 gallons of oil, oil filter and fuel filter so usually about $80-90 in materials for the oil change. Luckily I only have to do oil changes about every 9-10 months so it isn't too bad for me.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 pm

njcraddock wrote:
And if you have a dually then you have to replace 6 tires instead of just 4. Insurance, taxes, and tags are higher. Diesels also cost a LOT more to repair than a gasser. That's why everyone is saying to get a half ton unless you are really planning on towing heavy loads.

unless you really don't mind the extra money. Over all it is not that much more of an operating cost. My F-350 is ten years old. It was eight years old before I change my front brakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gas or diesel?   gas or diesel? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

gas or diesel?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: Other BS-
Jump to: