SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster

Go down 
+10
njcraddock
Pete 1K
bush
Big-R
girdlerrzr
BluDevil
justlill
RZR_Joe
Goose
jerrzr
14 posters
AuthorMessage
jerrzr

jerrzr

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster Empty
PostSubject: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 12:14 am

I was hoping they had that problem fixed but I guess not- first I've seen with the 1k. Must just be the design of the Hilliard clutch.  DontKnow 
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm

$20 K pile of junk!!!
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the dumbass driving it  thatsright 
Back to top Go down
justlill
SSXSRider Member
justlill

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:34 pm

FOR SALE XP 1000 NEVER ABUSED,ADULT RIDDEN 4Sale 
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:36 pm

RZR_Joe wrote:
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the dumbass driving it  thatsright 

one thing for sure I bet he was in major pucker mode. Ive rolled my rzr before because of the front diff not hooking up... When those front tires bite and are wanting to grab traction but the diff can't handle the load- I would say the machine failed him first and I think it caused him to back off but we will never know for sure...

If the power stayed consistent on the front and he kept it hammered, might have been a different outcome.. But I think we can still catogorize him as a dumbass based soley on the wheels and tires he was running .  thatsright 
Back to top Go down
BluDevil
SSXSRider Member
BluDevil

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2013-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 8:35 pm

I think he said it was almost out of gas....Time for a new one!!! lol! 
Back to top Go down
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 9:23 pm

should have bought a can am
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 9:27 pm

First of all, the front diff is pulling hard. The only problem I see is the shit ass tires on that machine. What is he doing, riding the road?????? Get the hell off the trails with those tires.
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Big-R wrote:
First of all, the front diff is pulling hard.  The only problem I see is the shit ass tires on that machine.  What is he doing, riding the road??????  Get the hell off the trails with those tires.  

Focus on the front wheel and you will see it momentarily stop with every pop. It is a problem that has plagued me from day one- I recognize it very well. The rollers are slipping
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:05 pm

jerrzr wrote:
Big-R wrote:
First of all, the front diff is pulling hard.  The only problem I see is the shit ass tires on that machine.  What is he doing, riding the road??????  Get the hell off the trails with those tires.  

Focus on the front wheel and you will see it momentarily stop with every pop. It is a problem that has plagued me from day one- I recognize it very well. The rollers are slipping

I promise you.... different tires, better result!
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Big-R wrote:
jerrzr wrote:
Big-R wrote:

I promise you.... different tires, better result!  

I agree with you. Other than those tires just being wrong for the terrain, the combination of them with those wheels probably weigh a ton and contributing to the diff missing a lick here and there. You can't deny that the diff is unable to keep them constantly pulling. with every pop that wheel stops.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyThu May 08, 2014 2:20 am

looked and sounded more like a CV joint popping to me
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyThu May 08, 2014 11:19 am

bush wrote:
looked and sounded more like a CV joint popping to me  

Yeah, that was a question I always struggled with mine when I started experiencing  the popping and losing pull at the front wheels.  Is it the diff or is it a CV joint? I came to believe that it was the diff and I guess I just got diff on the brain when seeing other rzrs behaving in the same manner..

It's just hard for me to imagine the axle,star, and balls slipping inside the cv cup without breaking or twisting up a boot- that is what would have to happen for the front diff to be pulling and the wheel stopping at each interval of that wretched sound. My axles and Cv's where always good and my boots never twisted-  but i guess sometimes things just ain't like they seem.

Are you guys seeing that front wheel stop?
If so, what do think the mechanics are behind causing that-- diff or CV? Got to be something in the drive line.
Back to top Go down
Pete 1K

Pete 1K

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Jerrzr, I think you,re right it's probably the front diff rollers slipping. But if he had tires for that terrain there never would have been a problem with him being stuck to start with. We would never have seen this video and that 20 grand wasted.
Back to top Go down
girdlerrzr
SSXSRider Member
girdlerrzr

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyThu May 08, 2014 5:16 pm

atleast he looks happy
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:08 am

Pete 1K wrote:
Jerrzr, I think you,re right it's probably the front diff rollers slipping. But if he had tires for that terrain there never would have been a problem with him being stuck to start with. We would never have seen this video and that 20 grand wasted.

The front diff acting up in that vid was really the only thing that caught my attention and it  was very disheartening to see that.

Yeah those tires and wheels are shitty and his biggest problem with them I would say is the weight of them. But here is the thing about it--every time that front wheel stopped moving meant it was trying to grab traction but the diff just couldn't handle the load and pull it along and all it takes sometimes is just enough grab to nudge you along.

All agree on the crappy tire set up but that's really beside the point. Any tire can loose traction and when you find yourself in the same kind of situation as that guy with all for tires spinning and feel your machine wanting to grab but instead you hear that popping and feel your machine laying down on you Sucks Ass! You only have two options at that point. Keep open throttle or to let off...if you keep open throttle I can tell you what will happen- your diff will grenade (seen it happen several times).. If you let off, I guess the outcome depends on your situation and in this case the guy rolled.

But then again, that's just my take on things and you all know how I'm out in left field.. lol!
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:44 am

This is what I don't get. Why is it that only some buggies are having issues with the diffs? I can understand if everyone was having problems with the diff slipping under a heavy load. With yours I would guess that it could just be worn, but that 1K was brand new. Was it because he had a heavy tire/wheel combination and drove it like a dumbass? Given your left field status have you driven yours like a dumbass? What does the inside of the differential look like? Is it just a normal ring and pinion gear set with some type of clutch? Going back to my roots a little, but the Rhinos had the electric locking differential. I never had an issue with either one of mine. Couldn't steer worth a shit with it engaged though. Are the RZR diffs weaker? Or is it because of their different design?
Back to top Go down
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptyFri May 09, 2014 10:55 pm

This has nothin to do with the front diff but,I kinda liked the song that was playin on that video of the 1k crash. So much so that I googled it and found out a little more about it. Goes to show you the visual of watchin the RZR sure made the song more enjoyable. Here's the video of the group. I'll bet you'll agree.

https://youtu.be/Yzwx4VvykNg
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySat May 10, 2014 2:59 am

samiam wrote:
This has nothin to do with the front diff but,I kinda liked the song that was playin on that video of the 1k crash. So much so that I googled it and found out a little more about it. Goes to show you the visual of watchin the RZR sure made the song more enjoyable. Here's the video of the group. I'll bet you'll agree.

https://youtu.be/Yzwx4VvykNg

10-4 on that one! Just like comparing the official "sail" video with jeb Corliss. Jebs vid much much better!

Google the official group vid and you will see..it Sucks!

Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySat May 10, 2014 3:17 am

njcraddock wrote:
This is what I don't get. Why is it that only some buggies are having issues with the diffs? I can understand if everyone was having problems with the diff slipping under a heavy load. With yours I would guess that it could just be worn, but that 1K was brand new. Was it because he had a heavy tire/wheel combination and drove it like a dumbass? Given your left field status have you driven yours like a dumbass? What does the inside of the differential look like? Is it just a normal ring and pinion gear set with some type of clutch? Going back to my roots a little, but the Rhinos had the electric locking differential. I never had an issue with either one of mine. Couldn't steer worth a shit with it engaged though. Are the RZR diffs weaker? Or is it because of their different design?

lots of questions there and I have a lot that I can say about each one but I first would like to see some other opinions on the subject matters...But as far as me driving my rzr like a dumbass, I am sure  I have- probably on every ride.
Back to top Go down
STR8RZR
SSXSRider Staff
STR8RZR

Number of posts : 896
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySat May 10, 2014 3:17 pm

I agree shitty tire combo, but yea I also see the front wheel stop with every pop of the diff. I've had mine pop like that goin up hells canyon, and u can feel it in the machine everytime it does it. It just won't pull and when ur in one of those spots u need all u can get. I ended up winching just because I didn't want front diff to blow right then. There's actually a video posted on here and u can here mine popping. Think it's under jellico or Tackett creek posted by big r.
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySat May 10, 2014 4:55 pm

STR8RZR wrote:
I agree shitty tire combo, but yea I also see the front wheel stop with every pop of the diff. I've had mine pop like that goin up hells canyon, and u can feel it in the machine everytime it does it. It just won't pull and when ur in one of those spots u need all u can get. I ended up winching just because I didn't want front diff to blow right then. There's actually a video posted on here and u can here mine popping. Think it's under jellico or Tackett creek posted by big r.

Yep! Just found and watched it.  Its at 1:53 of  Big-R's  Jellico Thanksgiving 2013 video. I think you would agree that once you experience how that feels and sounds, it is unmistakable of what is going on.

All RZRs will do it when enough stress is placed on the diff and since the 4 seaters are a little heavier you will see it in them a little more often I think.

Also, I have noticed as the diff fluid becomes more and more contaminated with that extreme fine metal (which all of them generate)  the amount of stress it takes to cause the diff to slip becomes less and less. With real old and dirty fluid, the diff will pop and slip at the drop of a feather.  The best and about the only thing you can do--apart from riding your rzr like a dumbass  lol! -- is to change that fluid OFTEN!

Back to top Go down
edge22

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes his tires sucked for that hill climb and yes his front diff was poping and sliping for split seconds throught that climb. But if he would have better more aggresive tires that diff would have been poping and sliping more. From me going through two front diffs in my 900 I can say that one is on its way out. I am not for certian if it is the rollers inside sliping or the ring gear and pinion sliping. In my case the whole diff busted rite where the pinion gear and bearing is.

Last edited by edge22 on Sun May 11, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySun May 11, 2014 11:09 pm

So glad I don't have to worry about that anymore...................
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster EmptySun May 11, 2014 11:18 pm

all the parts to an 800 diff.  with a super atv aluminum cage  its a simple diff that works great. the plastic cage is weak. but never know what will go once its changed

pic from my 09rzr that i crashed

Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster 100_2930
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster   Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster Empty

Back to top Go down

Pop pop pop no front wheel pull = disaster
Page 1 of 1