SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Toy Hauler/RV information thread

Go down 
+6
crs
bush
RedNeckRanger
Big-R
Goose
Gimpy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Toy Hauler/RV information thread Empty
PostSubject: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Thought some who may be new to rv'ing, are some us who do it often might have some good information to share on here. So I have had some bad experiences even with newer trailers I have had.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:50 pm

The first thing is a serious problem I have found in the last trailer, the Road Warrior 5th wheel.  Even though it was claimed to have only been used once, it is the same problem as I had on the XLR I use to have.  Both have an on board generator.  They both have a Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch (switch to transfer shore power or generator power to the breaker box).  Check your 9 large wire lugs often, and the smaller ones in the switch box if you can get to them.  On the XLR it was too late.  They loosen up with time and the road ride.  On the XLR they got loose and started arching, melted a lot of the inside and almost caught fire.  On the new trailer I found all 9 loose too.  

Next check your wire lugs on each breaker.  The XLR had some loose.  None were loose on the Road Warrior.

Next check the screws on the 12 volt fuse connections, in your breaker box.  I found them loose on both trailers.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Plumbing next. I found almost all of the water connections (plastic to threaded) loose along with all of the threaded drain line fittings. That is common in Rv's.

Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 8:56 am

I just read about this for those of you that really want that rzr xp 1000 4 seater and are worried about enough garage space. Keystone raptor has the 424 TS 5th wheel toy hauler with 14 foot garage. 43 foot long and only 15,000 lbs. empty. Upgrade for Ronnie thatsright Bigger is better.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Goose wrote:
I just read about this for those of you that really want that rzr xp 1000 4 seater and are worried about enough garage space. Keystone raptor has the 424 TS 5th wheel toy hauler with 14 foot garage. 43 foot long and only 15,000 lbs. empty. Upgrade for Ronnie thatsright Bigger is better.

It will be a while before I upgrade. Well, at least two years....... lol!
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 1:45 pm

gimpy ,any info on how u serviced your generator? where to get parts and what kind of oil ?
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 4:59 pm

RedNeckRanger wrote:
gimpy ,any info on how u serviced your generator? where to get parts and what kind of oil ?

The dealer changed the oil when I bought the trailer.  Do you have a manual?  I will look it up as I don't remember what I used when I had the XLR.

We have a Cummings dealer locally. Are you needing parts?
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 8:05 pm

don't have a manual.i just know I should service it ...don't know the history...and haven't ever fooled with one before .I will try and find one
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 12:44 am

my generator is a onan/cummins i have only changed it once in mine. Embarassed but i used rotella oil 15-40. if i remember right that is what it calls for 15-40.
i think there was a small cover to remove to see the drain plug.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 am

I found some helpful stuff on youtube ....I will change the oil, filters before the next trip
Back to top Go down
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 pm

RedNeckRanger wrote:
don't have a manual.i just know I should service it ...don't know the history...and haven't ever fooled with one before .I will try and find one

Most service/owners manuals can be found on line. If it is a cummins/onan, they have them in a pdf that's downloadable. Search manufacturer/make/model.  Their filter numbers will cross reference also on line. Look up "filter cross reference" with the manufacturer that you want to buy your filters from. ( wix, baldwin, k&n, fleetguard.....etc.) Most everything needed for a service can than be had at the local parts store. Regular 15w-40 diesel oil is usually whats recommended. Most generators have a service interval of 50 hrs. I print off a sticker of the hrs of when i changed it and put it next to the hour meter. Ok, that's a lie. I pull the dipstick and if it looks dark i changed it. allright Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 pm

crs wrote:
RedNeckRanger wrote:

Most service/owners manuals can be found on line. If it is a cummins/onan, they have them in a pdf that's downloadable. Search manufacturer/make/model.  Their filter numbers will cross reference also on line. Look up "filter cross reference" with the manufacturer that you want to buy your filters from. ( wix, baldwin, k&n, fleetguard.....etc.) Most everything needed for a service can than be had at the local parts store. Regular 15w-40 diesel oil is usually whats recommended. Most generators have a service interval of 50 hrs. I print off a sticker of the hrs of when i changed it and put it next to the hour meter. Ok, that's a lie. I pull the dipstick and if it looks dark i changed it. allright Hope this helps.

thatsright lol!
Back to top Go down
STR8RZR
SSXSRider Staff
STR8RZR

Number of posts : 896
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

I have a manual for my onan generator. If anybody needs any specs I can take pic and post.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm

STR8RZR wrote:
I have a manual for my onan generator. If anybody needs any specs I can take pic and post.

Same here. Mine is for a 5500.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 9:11 am

I finally got my toy hauler back from the dealer on Wednesday. They have had it 4 1/2 months to do extensive repairs ( rebuild) to the front slide out. They also completed several other minor things. My front slide leaked. The caulking on the outside of the slide was not a complete bead from the factory. So when it rained the water came down the side and soaked the floor of the slide = rot. In addition, there was another spot that was not sealed on the side that allowed the water to soak the rug in the bedroom. When the rug got wet it wicked up into the particle board of the cabinetry and the wood expanded ruining the cabinet. All is repaired now under warranty. This was my first RV. If I was to start all over I would make sure I would take someone with me when I buy who was an old time camper to help picking some of the not so obvious things out.
Back to top Go down
MIKE_D
SSXSRider Member
MIKE_D

Number of posts : 1322
Registration date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am

So how does this work Goose, I realize the work was done under warranty but the 4 months they had it and you were unable to use it, are you reimbursed in any way for this time? AND if not WHY!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 7:54 pm

I have heard of the factory extending the warranty for the loss time. You want to send the request in writing or Email (proof). If they don't answer or say no, then involve Trailer Life magazine complaint section.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Long complicated story Mike I'll tell you sometime. They did extend the factory warranty Gimpy.
Back to top Go down
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

congrats goose glad you finally got it back
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Good deal there Gus.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Well I spent the day switching out my black water tank on my cargo trailer conversion. I had originally installed a used tank from my old truck camper however it didn't work too well in this installation. Shit would pile up right under where the commode dumped and back up into the pipe. The only way to get it moved was to stir it with a stick through the commode. Not fun. So I ordered a new tank and fittings. Everything is now installed except for hooking up the drain pipe, I forgot one necessary fitting when I was at Lowes this morning. Now I can store up to 28 gallons of excrement!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 10:54 am

Those with slide outs, check your upper seal that attaches to the unit, not the slide.  I read a thread about them.  They deteriorate quick on some units.  I found them like that on my new toy hauler.  These are called D Seals.  I think it is because it is the first seal to get smashed when the slide comes in.  Slides work with the top making contact, then pulls the bottom in place.

Toy Hauler/RV information thread 2dl3eb5

Toy Hauler/RV information thread V3qdg2
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

I pulled the factory poo tires (Power King Tow Max) off of the Toy Hauler and put on Goodyear G614's today. These are 14 ply 110 PSI tires. Went to Raben Tire on Crittenden Dr. and saved $320 from what I paid last time. They gave a good discount as where I work uses their Fleet Service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toy Hauler/RV information thread   Toy Hauler/RV information thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Toy Hauler/RV information thread
Page 1 of 1