SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time For New Belt?

Go down 
+2
Clayboy
moto92
6 posters
AuthorMessage
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 2:42 pm

yesterday i decided to play in the creek sense it had been raining here the last couple days. made a couple good passes across as the water was splashing up on the hood, little deeper than i thought. third pass through i guess i dug up the sand bottom and just about sank the ship. pipes went under and the motor stalled, luckily she fired back up. i locked the diff and threw it in reverse and had no choice but to hammer down to get out. after all the steam, smoke cleared i basically had no drive. had to used the winch just to get back up the creek bank. i managed to drive back home with the motor spinning but barely any drive getting to the tires. back home i pulled the belt housing plug and some black water came out.
so after all this im guessing i probably burned up a belt right? i noticed it slipping a few times out on some trail rides before this too.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 5:40 pm

New belt will not hurt but you need to re-grease your clutch. Get your clutch hot and then add all that cold water and you grease will "cake" up.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 7:37 pm

I would try her out tomorrow. The Belt has a hard time going when it is wet. Also, you can pull the belt cover off and make sure you don't have mud caked in there. Those belts are pretty tough.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 8:55 pm

I agree with Clay. I would clean it all, then regrease your rollers. Be careful not to get any grease on the primary clutch face or the belt. Buying another belt would not hurt and then you could use the old one as a back up.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
moto92

moto92

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:38 pm

im wanting to get a machined sheave anyways, maybe this would be a good time to do that. So what type of grease should i use on this?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:01 pm

You got me there. Mine is so new I have never had it apart.

I got a machined sheave, shims, roller weights all for 200 bucks off ebay. I just haven't installed them yet.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Anonymous

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I use extreme-pressure c/v joint grease in mine.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I use belray marine high temp in mine, worked well in my old Grizzly. Should do well in the Rhino.
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 pm

well after some research tonight i know that the water got sucked into the belt housing. looks like ive got a snorkle project in my near future allright
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:03 am

Mystic high temp "red" from wally world. 500 miles with no problems for me. About time to do it again.
Back to top Go down
dorton

dorton

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:38 am

moto92 wrote:
well after some research tonight i know that the water got sucked into the belt housing. looks like ive got a snorkle project in my near future allright

Thats what I was wondering from the get go. Did you pull the drain plug for the cvt?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/dorton_
Sponsored content

Time For New Belt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time For New Belt?   Time For New Belt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Time For New Belt?
Page 1 of 1