SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?

Go down 
+17
2Slow4U
ChrisC
Dreth
tim
Neuromax
Big-R
AIRBORNE
greenhead
RHINO DIRECT
ridepate
rubicon05
Rhino Rob
wvyankee2
TrailBlazer23
moto92
S
DirtDawber
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dreth

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Well that took me 10 min. easy as eating apple pie. Thanks for the tip and i will know what a difference it makes when we get to the white knuckle event.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Dreth wrote:
Well that took me 10 min. easy as eating apple pie. Thanks for the tip and i will know what a difference it makes when we get to the white knuckle event.

Yep its quick and easy, you will love the results!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 12:15 am

It is off. I can feel the body roll driving it down the street. However, it does not feel like it will be a problem. I will try it out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 2:07 am

Big-R wrote:

I have not done it yet. However, it will be off for my next ride.

Dam Right it will , Cause i will have wrenches with me.
and if you dont take it off. I am going to do a little midnight
Rhino work , and take it off myself. ... lol!
This should of been done months ago.

Chris.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 2:19 am

ChrisC wrote:
Big-R wrote:

I have not done it yet. However, it will be off for my next ride.

Dam Right it will , Cause i will have wrenches with me.
and if you dont take it off. I am going to do a little midnight
Rhino work , and take it off myself. ... lol!
This should of been done months ago.

Chris.... Razz

I wish I did it about 1800 miles ago.......
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 3:08 am

Big-R wrote:

I wish I did it about 1800 miles ago.......

I tried to tell you.
Next time pay attention.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 1:19 pm

This is a post from one of our new members. I copied it from RF.net. I thought it summed the whole sway bar thing up real nice.........

KentT wrote:

First of all, I'm a noob, and don't pretend to be an expert... that said, I just removed both couplers on my swaybar, disabling it, but leaving it in place should I want to reconnect it (disconnecting one end would've sufficed, but I wanted to rotate it up out of the way, and tie it up). Then I also cranked the preload up on my stock shocks two notches, front and rear. Note also that I'm running 5+2 offset, with 1" spacers on the front and 2" on the rear.

I just did 16 miles yesterday, on a combination of very tight/twisty ATV trails through the woods, old jeep and logging trails eroded down to boulders especially on the slopes, some dirt roads where we could get up to 20+ MPH, and some bog/mud plus a couple of stream crossings (18" - 24" of water). Throw in a couple of sandpits, stretches of "whoops" where if you didn't get the speed just right, the Rhino would buck as it hit and climbed the next upslope, and short stretches of paved country roads (30+ MPH) to connect the trails. IMO, the Rhino handles much better overall. It does have more body lean -- but with this stance not a whole lot more. What is most noticable are two things:

1. At speed in trail riding, it handles things like ruts and rocks in the trail much, much better. Instead of the whole rear of machine going up in the air and then dropping back down with a "wham", the single wheel that meets the obstacle goes us and over while the other remains planted to the ground. Much, much smoother ride and much more control over the machine since the rear end isn't bouncing and scooting around with one wheel totally up in the air much of the time.

2. It handles slow speed crawls better also, even in off camber situations, since all four wheels remain on the ground a whole lot more of the time. In addition to eliminating the motion described above, no longer are you lifting one front wheel off the ground when climbing over something, because both rear wheels are down (due to center of gravity) and tied together by the swaybar -- then the whole front comes "crashing down" as you get to the point where the center of gravity shifts toward the front and the "see-saw" teeters to the other end. That whole see-sawing motion is eliminated, and replaced by some side-to-side shifting as you crawl over things with all four wheels in contact almost all the time.

I don't think removing the swaybar adds to high-speed stability, especially on smooth surfaces. However, IMO it makes the machine feel more controllable at all speeds. You can better sense when to slow down, when to take another line in off-camber situation, etc.

Your mileage may vary, based upon your machine, the type of riding you do, and your personal preferences...

HTH...
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Good writeup! Sounds fair to me.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Aw shucks... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
Good writeup! Sounds fair to me.

X2. allright
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 4:28 pm

yep good post, definitley need to bump my shock settings back
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Took mine off several months ago an it is a great thing to do, We ride in the moutains all the time a the you would not believe the difference it has made in the ride quality, as far as the mud dont think you would ever tell a difference turned the shock adjustment up 2 notches front an rear. I try to stay out of the mud to ruff on parts. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Everyone likes the swaybar off.
it is a great free mod.
Mine has been off since the 4th day i had it..... Eat
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:43 pm

ChrisC wrote:
it is a great free mod.

Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:48 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
it is a great free mod.

Give it time Dave. It's different no doubt, but with time I bet you even like it better while racing. More bite and less slide.
Back to top Go down
mudbug59

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Took mine off today,can,t believe the difference.....it will never be put back on...the ride is great
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 10:40 pm

I know that this is for the Rhino's......but I took mine off....what a difference!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?   Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who has gone ahead and taken the stabilizer bar off?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2