SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who wants FRS, GMRS radios

Go down 
+11
wvyankee2
Smith700
Last Chance Rhino
Foxfire
concours_greg
Neuromax
blu-knight
Rhino Rob
highlander
DoddS
Big-R
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 1:07 pm

I am going to a different guy. I hope to find some soon!!!!!
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Hey Ronnie, I get Kenwood also. What model number were you looking at. I can at least get a price for everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamconcours.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:16 pm

concours_greg wrote:
Hey Ronnie, I get Kenwood also. What model number were you looking at. I can at least get a price for everyone.

Not sure. We just want a good radio.
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 11:57 pm

You are aware that none of the Kenwood's are waterproof or even water resistant right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamconcours.com
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 7:25 am

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98184_250002000_250000000_250002000_250-2-0

Appears the price would be right and is submersible, and every body would have access to BPS store immediately, or close Wink
And i could use it in my clinch river boat to stay in contact with the coast guard or home security.

Dont know anything about these "marine" radios or any issues we would have if we were to be using marine channels on a ride.
I know i wouldnt have any problems interferring with boats at the farm.

Pros Cons ?

another 99$ unit

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98184_250002000_250000000_250002000_250-2-0

ebay unit, the first one i think
http://cgi.ebay.com/Midland-RG1W-Regatta-1-VHF-Marine-Radio-RG1W_W0QQitemZ290348815277QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item439a2353ad&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 11:20 am

concours_greg wrote:
You are aware that none of the Kenwood's are waterproof or even water resistant right?

Yes I know. It just seems that most people on the trails have FRS and GMRS radios.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok Guys, I have came across 7 radios. This is a first come first serve deal. They are $175 bucks Plus shipping if he will ship. Let me know if you guys still want one.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Big-R,do you have any pics of the 7 radios you found? And could someone please explain to me what all the GMRS FMS etc. terms mean.i am interested in one but since i am only 14 yrs old i dont know what they mean
Back to top Go down
highlander
SSXSRider Member
highlander

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Big R I need 2 so how do you want me to get you the money.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 9:59 pm

smith700 wrote:
And could someone please explain to me what all the GMRS FMS etc. terms mean.i am interested in one but since i am only 14 yrs old i dont know what they mean

Read this Corey.

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsfaqa.html
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:59 pm

thanks yank,good information! i will talk to my dad about one of them and see what he says
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:00 pm

What do the $175 radio include? Do you have model #'s? I rode with 4 SxS's that had them last weekend and it was incredible how loud and clear they were...
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:15 pm

I am still interested. I would like to know more. I am ignorant to the difference in them.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 12:05 am

roamerr wrote:
What do the $175 radio include? Do you have model #'s? I rode with 4 SxS's that had them last weekend and it was incredible how loud and clear they were...

Airborne LT wrote:
I am still interested. I would like to know more. I am ignorant to the difference in them.

I don't know the model. It comes with radio, mic, antenna(with mount) and all the wires to hook it up.
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 1:27 am

I am trying to understand why you guys are thinking about going FRS or GMRS. A few of us in my area run CB radios. I personally have a nice Cobra mounted in my ride and it works wonderful. We also do some riding at a place where there are a lot of jeeps and trucks. These guys all run CB's. I personally think you would all be very happy with a set up like I am running. More channels and a lot more distance if you had to talk to someone back at the parking lot or back at camp. One other thing you should think about, the radios you are talking about are more line of sight. If you ride mountains, you might not get the distance you think you would. Just something for you all to think about and if anyone would like to see pics of my set up, let me know and I will take some and post. Pac out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 5:58 am

n 4 2, ronnie if you will be so kind to pm me your mailing address, i will get the ball rolling on my end.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 am

4x4pac wrote:
I am trying to understand why you guys are thinking about going FRS or GMRS. A few of us in my area run CB radios. I personally have a nice Cobra mounted in my ride and it works wonderful. We also do some riding at a place where there are a lot of jeeps and trucks. These guys all run CB's. I personally think you would all be very happy with a set up like I am running. More channels and a lot more distance if you had to talk to someone back at the parking lot or back at camp. One other thing you should think about, the radios you are talking about are more line of sight. If you ride mountains, you might not get the distance you think you would. Just something for you all to think about and if anyone would like to see pics of my set up, let me know and I will take some and post. Pac out!

These radios aren't line of sight and can talk a lot farther than a CB. They are also much clearer. These aren't the handhelds. Each radio puts out 25-40 watts (a CB is 4 watts). They also use a 1/4 wave antenna which is only about 6" long. I have been very pleased with my set up and I can still use it with friends who have the hand held radios on ATV's.
Back to top Go down
highlander
SSXSRider Member
highlander

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 pm

You can also talk to someone who has the small handheld set. Espically if they don't have that kind of $$ to invest in todays economy.
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 pm

I guess you must think that I dont know what I am talking about. Sometimes I dont know why I would bother trying to help anyone out since I dont know anything. This is copied directly from the page that is listed above by wvyankee2. Since I dont know what I am talking about and neuromax is totally right, I figured I would just copy and past!!!

CB radio is on shortwave frequencies around 26-27 MHz. These radio waves propagate differently. You can find yourself talking to someone in another country on the CB band. The skip, as it is called, can occasionally render CB channels useless for communication beyond five miles or so. (That's one big reason CB went to SSB.) The CB band also became a polluted wasteland of nonsense, silliness, and foul language. It quickly became a hobby band when that was not the original intent. FRS on the other hand will NOT skip. FRS is limited to local communication and it tends to be quite reliable depending on the terrain and surrounding obstructions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:24 pm

4x4pac wrote:
I guess you must think that I dont know what I am talking about. Sometimes I dont know why I would bother trying to help anyone out since I dont know anything. This is copied directly from the page that is listed above by wvyankee2. Since I dont know what I am talking about and neuromax is totally right, I figured I would just copy and past!!!

CB radio is on shortwave frequencies around 26-27 MHz. These radio waves propagate differently. You can find yourself talking to someone in another country on the CB band. The skip, as it is called, can occasionally render CB channels useless for communication beyond five miles or so. (That's one big reason CB went to SSB.) The CB band also became a polluted wasteland of nonsense, silliness, and foul language. It quickly became a hobby band when that was not the original intent. FRS on the other hand will NOT skip. FRS is limited to local communication and it tends to be quite reliable depending on the terrain and surrounding obstructions.

Pac. you are right about CB's. You can talk around the world with the right power. I am new to all the CBs and radios so I am not on top of it but I high lighted the most important part of why I think these are used with atvers.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm

The cheap handhled radios and headsets used by most ATV'rs are FRS or GMRS. The intent is to stay on those frequencies so we can communicate with others. On a SxS a CB will fit well but on an ATV the little handsets are needed.

I don't care about if I use CB or FRS or GMRS. I just want what the people I ride with have.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 am

4x4pac wrote:
FRS is limited to local communication and it tends to be quite reliable depending on the terrain and surrounding obstructions.

Pac, you are right. Maybe I should have been a little clearer in what I meant. I ride mostly in the mountains of WV and CB's do NOT work well in the woods there. The hand held FRS radios work just about as well as a CB. The radios that a lot of us are running (what this thread was started about) work much better WHERE I RIDE, and as Roamerr said, people on ATV's can't carry a CB around with them but they can and do carry a FRS/GMRS radio.

Yes a CB radio CAN catch a skip and talk for long distances but that doesn't happen often and you sure can't count on it to happen. You are trying to compare apples and oranges, each radio has pros and cons.

You asked why we are using these instead of CB's, I was just trying to answer your question.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:09 pm

i have a base station in my rhino and so do some others that i ride with.some of us also have portables to.these r the best one to have .i wouldnt trade 20 cb s for mine.they work great.we have radius s (brand)
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Big-R,i found these radios.they are at a good price and look to be pretty good,and include all the FRS GMARS stuffhttp://www.hodgesmarine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIDRG1B&click=18
these look to be good even though someone will probably shout their better opinion
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

smith700 wrote:
Big-R,i found these radios.they are at a good price and look to be pretty good,and include all the FRS GMARS stuffhttp://www.hodgesmarine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIDRG1B&click=18
these look to be good even though someone will probably shout their better opinion

Looks like a GREAT radio and great price but I don't see where its FRS/GMRS anywhere on the specs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   fmsr radios - Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who wants FRS, GMRS radios
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next