SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speaking of new toy-haulers...

Go down 
+4
Rhino Rob
shawnley1222
DirtDawber
2Slow4U
8 posters
AuthorMessage
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Speaking of new toy-haulers... Empty
PostSubject: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 pm

After talking to a couple guys up at Mt Washington who own them, I just went in a totally different direction on Saturday -- trading in my V8 Dakota Quad Cab for a Nissan V6 King Cab. I'd been researching them, but after seeing a guy haul one quad in his bed and pull three more on his trailer, I went over to talk to him...

Speaking of new toy-haulers... Frontier_03_800

A V6 with 31 more HP than my current V8, and only 14 ft lbs less torque, rated to tow the same amount -- at reportedly 2-3 MPG better mileage, and perhaps more...

The Dakota has been a good, reliable truck, but at almost 90,000 miles it was coming up on some major maintenance/repairs soon. For example, I'd never replaced the brakes, only the tires and shocks... so I was looking at a 4-wheel brake job, for 4-wheel discs, knowing going in that I'd be replacing both front hubs at that time. Front end was beginning to get a little loose, so balljoints probably also. Etc., etc. It was simply trade now while it stll had some resale value (when you go over 100,000 they depreciate like a rock), or plan on sinking some significant maintenance $$ into it and hold onto it for at least a few more years. Because I take frequent long trips (900 miles to East Tennessee, pulling a trailer, for example), I decided to get out while the getting was good...

Rams, or any new full-size 4WD, seem just huge and overkill for my needs -- in the last 20+ years, I've owned two extended cab F-150s, a quad cab Ram 1500, both a regular and extended cab Ranger, and this quad-cab Dakota ... but this is my 1st Nissan...

Looked at the new Daks, since I can get the employee discount at any time (FIL retired from Chrysler), but even with that discount, the Nissan just seemed to be a lot more truck for the money, especially for my needs. The problem with the Dak for towing is simply the gearing -- unless you special order to get the 3.92 gears, they come with 3.55s and their 5-speed transmission has TWO overdrive gears, with big changes between 1-2 and 2-3. Combine that with 3.55 gears and it is a slug when towing, between 40 and 65 MPH. In comparison, the Nissan's 4th gear is 1:1 while Dakota's 3rd gear is 1:1, and the Nissan's OD matches the Dakota's 4th gear fairly well -- the Nissan is simply better geared, overall, for towing. The gearing keeps the engine in it's torque curve, while the Dakota tries to run 65 MPH at 1500 RPM --thats's good for gas mileage on the V8 if the truck is emply, but makes it a slug when you load it down. Any attempt at acceleration causes you to downshift TWO gears. If you put 3.92s in it, you get about 12-13 MPG around town with the V8...

It's essentially this truck (reviewed below), except silver instead of dark grey. Mine doesn't have the optional side air-bag package this one does, but otherwise they're equipped exactly the same. Not badly equipped for $23,240 (MSRP, after $3000 rebate), then you deal from there...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/20/review-2009-nissan-frontier-continues-to-blaze-the-small-truck/

As you can see, all I really needed added was the tow package. Sure, I could've gonei for leather, or a 6 CD changer or something, but this Value Truck package equips one pretty well for a working truck that's not the family hauler -- it has power windows, locks & mirrors, cruise, tilt, aluminum wheels, bedliner, 4-wheel limited slip implemented by the standard 4-wheel ABS, etc -- all the way down to floor mats. Plenty nice enough for a 4WD commuter/toy hauler, IMO....

Now, I'm just try8ng to figure out which is more American...

A Dakota Quad Cab made in Windsor, Ontario,
the Ram 1500 Quad Cab it replaced, made in Mexico...

Or a Nissan Frontier made in Symrna, Tennessee with the engine made locally in Deschane (sp?), Tennessee

-- and with me being a Tennessean to begin with, I was and still am totally confused about how to answer that question...
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Good deal Kent !! I think you made the best choice and maybe kept some money in TN. perfect10
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm

how I roll 05 crew cab nismo 4x4
Speaking of new toy-haulers... The_se10

it pulls the rhino and other junk jus fine and pulls reallllll good in 4wd loaded down on the camp road where if you aint got 4wd you probably aint gonna make it

also clubfrontier.org is a wealth of info on these trucks
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 am

Nice truck, Shawnley...

I initially looked at the Crew Cab, but decided I didn't need all that room, based on how I've been using the Dakota... The back seat wasn't being used for anything but luggage, 99% of the time. I wanted a Pro 4X 6-speed, but couldn't find one...

This King Cab is almost as big as my first F-150 extended cab -- a 1986 model. It was likely somewhere between 2-4 inches wider inside, but that's about all...

New full-size trucks are MUCH larger than they used to be...
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 am

good deal Kent, i hope you get many a trip from maasssaaachesets to tenrc out of it.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:29 pm

I got the crew cab thinking ahead a bit so I didnt have to buy another truck for a long while. I use mine for stuff I dont want to get wet as of now but im sure sooner or later will be hauling little bodies(just gfs little brother right now)
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Towed the Rhino with the new Nissan for the first time last weekend...

Well pleased with it, so far! 20 MPG on one tank, back and forth to work, and about 14 towing....

[Sorry guys -- they must be in a "members only" area or something... here's a copy I know I have control over:

Speaking of new toy-haulers... I-DSC04427_1024

Speaking of new toy-haulers... I-DSC04421

Speaking of new toy-haulers... I-DSC04420_1024

Last edited by KentT on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:56 pm

good to hear you get 20mpg I get 18ish if im lucky drivin around

also good to see you joined over there I didnt know there is alot of helpful info on there for our trucks
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Yes, I got 18.8 on the first full tank, and 20.1 on the second. All of my 20+ mile commute is on 2-lane roads at 50MPH or less, with no real in-town traffic to speak of. I still don't have 1,000 miles on it, so I'm taking it pretty easy

It'll be interesting to see what it'll do once it's broken in. I plan to put synthetic in the 4WD running gear, and a blend like Mobil 1 in the engine.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 pm

if you want I am going to be taking my front 2" lift spacers out nad installing 3" if your interested I can hoo k you up with them for a fair price

they hevant been on there long but mine is still low in the front as I put blocks in the rear also so if you want to level out your truck.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 pm

May have to talk to you about those. PM me with a price...

I really don't want to lift the truck -- I like the way it handles now -- but leveling it would be nice...
Back to top Go down
cubanb

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:48 pm

I have a 2007 nissan frontier quad cab also. I have nothing but great things to say about it. I have about 22000 miles on it now, I usually get about 18 in town and about 22 on the road. I have got as high as 27 on a long trip before. I was really babying it though.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:54 pm

Kent, what kind of warranty do they have??
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 am

Hell, I just want the 280 that is on the trailer.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:05 am

Woodtick wrote:
Kent, what kind of warranty do they have??

The Nissan comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, and a 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty standard. For a little over $300, I extended it to 5 years, 100,000 mile powertrain because of all the miles I put on one. I wanted the 4WD system covered until after the truck is paid off. I've paid for Ford transfer cases and rear diff/axle work -- don't look forward to doing that again.

The Suzuki-branded ones come with the 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain standard.... and I actually think it's a little better looking truck. But, there wasn't a Suzuki dealer nearby...

I'm not a huge fan of the Nissan "V" grille...

Speaking of new toy-haulers... Eq_09_ec_ext_lowfrontfullbody
Back to top Go down
Greatrigger

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:15 am

The Suzukis are also built in Smyrna TN. and most of them come equipped with navigation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of new toy-haulers...   Speaking of new toy-haulers... Empty

Back to top Go down

Speaking of new toy-haulers...
Page 1 of 1