SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steering rack squeak?

Go down 
+2
AIRBORNE
tim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Steering rack squeak? Empty
PostSubject: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 pm

I have a squeak/creeking noise comming from the driver side of my steering rack. Is there a way to grease it or spray it with some wd40? I thought it was the tierode in so I took it off to change it and turned the wheel with the tierode out of the spindle and it still made the creak/squeak noise. If I can't grease or wd40 it how can I fix it?

Tim
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Never heard of that. Hopefully someone here has experienced that. The rack looks like a sealed unit with no grease zerks.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 9:32 pm

i would bet its a ball joint or the a-arms

the sterring rack is sealed
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 9:38 pm

New one to me too. You can take the big center-nut off, it's a tension adjustment, and get a little grease in there. The best way, if it is truely the rack ,is to remove it and take it apart and grease it. I've had one apart and there was pleanty of grease in it.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I did not see a zerks. I had the tierode out of the spindle and when you turn the wheel it still squeaked and creaked. I was holding the rode the tierode is on that goes to the steering rack and when it would squeak you could fill the rod vibrate in your hand. I had never read of this problem before so I thought someone might know something on here.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 pm

my money is on the ball joints
Back to top Go down
mking
SSXSRider Member
mking

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm with bush
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:34 pm

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/plw05-037.html

use one of these to put grease in the ball joint.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 11:12 pm

tim wrote:
I did not see a zerks. I had the tierode out of the spindle and when you turn the wheel it still squeaked and creaked. I was holding the rode the tierode is on that goes to the steering rack and when it would squeak you could fill the rod vibrate in your hand. I had never read of this problem before so I thought someone might know something on here.

Tim

You are saying it is in the rack right? It is squeaking with the tie-rod removed and the wheel not turning right? I have never had a rack apart but I believe I would take Ridepates advice and pull it apart to be safe if it is truly coming from the inside of the rack. I know a car has an inner and outer tie-rod if it has an inner tie-rod it could be dry and causing a squeak.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 am

mud-and-guts wrote:
tim wrote:

Tim

You are saying it is in the rack right? It is squeaking with the tie-rod removed and the wheel not turning right? I have never had a rack apart but I believe I would take Ridepates advice and pull it apart to be safe if it is truly coming from the inside of the rack. I know a car has an inner and outer tie-rod if it has an inner tie-rod it could be dry and causing a squeak.

I have one bush I will try it on the balljoints.

Mud-and-guts I think it is in the rack. It is squeaking with the tie-rode removed and the wheel not turning. I am going to try Bushs idea and see if it works.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 am

once you add the grease drive it a little and turn the wheels a lot to spread the grease around.

the ball joints on my rhino started squeaking before and the grease stopped it but its only a temporary fix because the joints are already damaged and will get play in them. hope it works for you
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am

If it is the ball joint that does work I use to do it on my older bikes but I got away from it because once you poke a hole in the boot it yields somewhere for water to enter the joint, but turn the wheel and tire assemble side to side with the tie-rod disconnected does it squeak?

The rod you are talking about that the tie-rod is attached to, move it up down and around if it squeaks with out the steering wheel moving it sounds like the inner tie-rod if that is the case you may be able to pull the black boot on that side and grease the inner tie-rod. I looked on Yamaha's parts manual and they do not give a part number for the 05 inner tie-rod(they call what we are calling tie-rods universal joints).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 2:10 pm

I greased them now I just have to drive it around. I am going to wait untill my little girl gets out of school so she can go with me. I plane on replaceing all 4 of the ball joints when I do the wheel bearings again. I am going to Brimstone Oct 31, but I don't have time to change them before I go. All of them feel tight they are not loose at all. So I think they will be ok on a few more rides. The squeak just drives me crazy guess I can crank the tunes up and ride on.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering rack squeak?   Steering rack squeak? Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering rack squeak?
Page 1 of 1