SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

street legal in TN

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BiLLy bOb

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-04

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I saw a post from mid 08 but rather than dig up a old one, heres a new one.
Here is the introduction explaining it.

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/notices/titlereg/08-21.pdf

Here's the medium speed vehicle affidavit needed.

Been hounding my county clerk about loopholes to register my rhino. he keeps saying no way. either he doesn't remember the passage of this, or doesn't want it on the road. going to inquire with him when i get home from reno nv and figure out what his deal is. hope to have tags in a few weeks. cost is $14.75 from what i saw on a brimstone rec forum.
BiLLy bOb
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 pm

What are the specific requirements for windshield, etc., that must be met.

Must you run DOT-approved tires, for example?
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:14 pm

the following is what i copied and pasted directly from their application form. tires are not mentioned at all. so i am assuming that off road tires are acceptable.

however swearing to a 35 top speed might be a issue for moral people. i know lots of morally challenged people it wont bother though. who makes a 35 govenor for the rhino???roflmao
==============================================
As outlined in Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-1-124, a vehicle may be registered as a medium speed vehicle if all the following
conditions are met:

· The vehicle’s top speed is greater than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) but not more than thirty-five miles per
hour 35 mph)

· The vehicle contains the following required items, as outlined in 49 CFR 571 (Code of Federal Regulations):

Headlamps Parking brake

Stop lamps

One exterior mirror on the driver’s side and one additional

mirror, either on the passenger side or in the interior

Front and rear turn signal lamps

Windshield that conforms to the Federal motor vehicle safety
standard on glazing materials (49 CFR 571.205)

Tail lamps Seat belts (Type 1 or 2) located at each seating position

Reflex reflectors, one red on each side near

the rear and one on the rear

Vehicle ID Number (VIN), conforming to 49 CFR 565

Certification
Under penalties of perjury, I hereby certify that the vehicle whose vehicle identification number (VIN) is shown above is
equipped with the above listed items and meets all safety standards as required by the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, 49 CFR 571, and the vehicle’s top speed is greater than thirty

Last edited by BiLLy bOb on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Our County attorney received a letter from the state and YES, if they are modified to meet these requirements and you sign an affidavit claiming these mods have been met they MUST issue you your tag.
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:30 pm

stakk,
you must the famous one over on that huntsville forum ive been reading all 300 posts on today while im supposed to be working. thatsright been hounding my co clerk for quite some time now but he claims no knowledge of it. once im home i will be getting a tag for sure. it amazes me how some people believe there is no difference in a *ordinance* and a *law*????? shew
BiLLy bOb
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-11-08

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 pm

hey man keep us posted on what happens love to tag mine lm in a wheelchair and dont have a car to drive yet but have my rhino fixed where l can drive it
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/minor37617
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm

It is possible here in tn but even with tags you are not allowed on a street posted over 40mph. The 40mph is the catch other wise mine would be tagged. I got an e-mail about this some time last year with all the requirements which was not a lot but included a windshield (did not state full), rear view mirrors, turn signals, seat belts, and must run over 30 but not allowed over 35mph and not allowed on a road posted over 40mph.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Stakk

Stakk

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:13 am

BiLLy bOb wrote:
stakk,
you must the famous one over on that huntsville forum ive been reading all 300 posts on today while im supposed to be working. thatsright been hounding my co clerk for quite some time now but he claims no knowledge of it. once im home i will be getting a tag for sure. it amazes me how some people believe there is no difference in a *ordinance* and a *law*????? shew
BiLLy bOb

If the clecrk still refuses to register your machine I can fax you a copy of the letter the county attourney got from the state regarding the issue.

Keep in mind the affidavit is the key, it claims under purgery that you have met the requirements, even the speed modification. once that is signed it takes the liability off the county, state and clerks office, they do not inspect your machine either.

My Dad has his Rhino 450 tagged and many others here. Scott county clecrk is issueing tags and they are legal on any Tn roadway with a posted speed limit of 40mph and less.
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:46 am

hopefully it wont be needed. i was finally driving *legally* in 93, he was still the county clerk for many years before i even started driving illegaly. if the letter you mention is the one on the tngov website, i have it already. if not, go ahead and fax it to me. 423 733 2073 attn Lewis that way i got it when i get home from Reno. figure ill go in with the letter and the affidavit and not have any problems out of it.
thanks
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 2:51 pm

BiLLy bOb wrote:
hopefully it wont be needed. i was finally driving *legally* in 93, he was still the county clerk for many years before i even started driving illegaly. if the letter you mention is the one on the tngov website, i have it already. if not, go ahead and fax it to me. 423 733 2073 attn Lewis that way i got it when i get home from Reno. figure ill go in with the letter and the affidavit and not have any problems out of it.
thanks

No this one is from the State Dept of vehicle registration the county attourney didn't think it was legal either so He sent in a letter asking for clarification, it was explained as he sent in MSO's from Yamaha Kawasaki and such asking if such machines could be modified, and they can.
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

I havnt seen that one on tn's web site. if you wouldnt care, please fax it on over to me, attn Lewis
423 733 2073
Is the plate a auto or motorcycle plate that they use?

thanks
BiLLy bOb
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:34 pm

BiLLy bOb wrote:
I havnt seen that one on tn's web site. if you wouldnt care, please fax it on over to me, attn Lewis
423 733 2073
Is the plate a auto or motorcycle plate that they use?

thanks
BiLLy bOb

Neither, it's smaller than a car plate, bigger than a Mc plate, says medium speed vehicle in the center with numbers and letters like a regualr tag, this letter won't be posted on the web site, it was a private letter. I faxed it to the number above
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:48 pm

WONDERFUL, really looking forward to getting mine. i was in the tag office about 3 weeks ago for tags for another truck and had asked him about it again and he said he still didnt know of anyway to do it. looking forward to getting my grubby little paws on it when i get home. pot

now i gotta limit it to a 35mph limit.... hooo hummm deee dumm dummm street legal in TN 13435

above Kent asked about dot tires, have you had any issue on your tires? i never seen anything about them anywhere i have tried to research this.
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

l dont have a fax can you email it to me jerr_81@yahoo.com
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 10:31 am

No mention of tires, or horn, just has to meet the mods listed.
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 9:36 pm

have you got yours tagged yet
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 pm

naw, county clerk hasn't got any tags in from nashville yet. hopefully next week or so.
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 12:01 am

ok so they're going to give you 1
Back to top Go down
BiLLy bOb

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 8:09 am

i haven't even told them what the tag is for Eat , just asked them if they had MED. speed tags there. lady said no and told me that it'd take a week to 10 days to get them in.
BiLLy bOb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

street legal in TN Empty
PostSubject: Re: street legal in TN   street legal in TN Empty

Back to top Go down

street legal in TN
Page 1 of 1