SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  Empty
PostSubject: Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going    Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 am

WASHINGTON -- Three years ago, Yamaha Motor Co. faced a grave threat to one of its most popular U.S. products, the Rhino off-road vehicle. Regulators were questioning the Rhino design's safety, and lawsuits were piling up from people who said the vehicle was prone to potentially deadly rollover accidents.
Today, sales have declined but the storm appears to largely be over. The company has successfully employed a two-pronged strategy -- playing tough with plaintiffs' lawyers in court and tender with regulators. It has also settled more than 100 suits, according to a court document.
A Yamaha spokesman said the economy has hurt off-road vehicle sales but it is starting to see an improvement, including for the Rhino.
The Rhino situation underscores the difficult choices companies must make when their products come under fire from regulators and plaintiffs lawyers. Yamaha says that even though it made product changes to appease regulators, it stands by the original design, and it is appealing a $317,000 judgment in May 2010 in Gwinnett County, Ga., the only trial verdict it has lost.
Yamaha's legal strategy in the cases it has chosen to fight is one that some companies are reluctant to pursue: blaming customers for engaging in unsafe behavior. In one trial last month in Warren County, Ohio, jurors felt the death of a 10-year-old girl was due in part to her failure to wear a helmet, and they declined to award damages to her parents. Their decision to refuse damages came even though most jurors answered "yes" when asked if the Rhino was defective in its design or in the way Yamaha warned riders about hazards or described its capabilities.
Yamaha has deflected much of the heat from regulators by modifying the Rhino's design. To help reduce the chance of rollover, it installed a spacer on the rear wheels and removed a rear anti-sway bar. It installed half doors and passenger handholds on Rhinos that didn't already have them, to help keep occupants' arms and legs inside during a rollover.
As part of a March 2009 agreement with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Yamaha offered to make the changes on Rhinos already on the market, an action regulators said covered 145,000 vehicles. The CPSC is pursuing still tougher standards for the Rhino and other similar vehicles, known as recreational off-road vehicles, or ROVs.
Meanwhile, Yamaha has scored a string of victories in the cases involving Rhino accidents that have gone to trial. Yamaha has won or avoided paying damages in eight of nine product liability lawsuits taken to trial and resolved as recently as this month -- a track record it says has helped to persuade plaintiffs in at least 200 other suits to withdraw their cases and claims.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going    Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm

allright
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going    Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 11:11 am

For my 999th post I thought I would revive a thread from the day before I joined. At that point in time a lot of us had already jumped ship to the RZR from the old Rhino, except me. The RZR XP900 was the latest and greatest thing but there was no way I could have afforded one so I was biding my time waiting on the perfect S to fall in my lap, and it did a few months later. Now, three buggies later and it looks like we are going full circle looking to Yamaha again. Glad they got all of this behind them and are pushing the envelope again. But I find myself wishing I still had one of my Rhinos, they were just so handy to have around the house whereas the RZR is pretty useless for domestic duty.

I am finalizing packing lists and starting to load my cargo trailer conversion for the RZRForums ride. It sure is a hell of a lot easier now that I have a big(ger) trailer. I sure as hell appreciate having my own bed, shower, and crapper. And it's a lot more fun bringing the boys now that they are older (except Mommy won't let them come this time because she doesn't want them missing two days of school). I am looking forward to seeing the good friends we have made over the years this week. Y'all have a safe trip and I'll see you in a few days.

Oh, you can't call me a post whore because it took me 4 1/2 years to get 1000 posts.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going    Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 pm

njcraddock wrote:
For my 999th post I thought I would revive a thread from the day before I joined. At that point in time a lot of us had already jumped ship to the RZR from the old Rhino, except me. The RZR XP900 was the latest and greatest thing but there was no way I could have afforded one so I was biding my time waiting on the perfect S to fall in my lap, and it did a few months later. Now, three buggies later and it looks like we are going full circle looking to Yamaha again. Glad they got all of this behind them and are pushing the envelope again. But I find myself wishing I still had one of my Rhinos, they were just so handy to have around the house whereas the RZR is pretty useless for domestic duty.

I am finalizing packing lists and starting to load my cargo trailer conversion for the RZRForums ride. It sure is a hell of a lot easier now that I have a big(ger) trailer. I sure as hell appreciate having my own bed, shower, and crapper. And it's a lot more fun bringing the boys now that they are older (except Mommy won't let them come this time because she doesn't want them missing two days of school). I am looking forward to seeing the good friends we have made over the years this week. Y'all have a safe trip and I'll see you in a few days.

Oh, you can't call me a post whore because it took me 4 1/2 years to get 1000 posts.

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going    Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going  Empty

Back to top Go down

Yamaha's Legal Engine Has Kept Its Rhino Off-Road Vehicle Going
Page 1 of 1