SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Truckers Strike

Go down 
+9
Big-R
nocerisdave
wrenchhead
Clutch
Killer Kodiak
GunRunner
Clayboy
wvyankee2
GODAWGS
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GODAWGS

GODAWGS

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 9:47 am

anybody heard that the truckers are gonna strike?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 9:55 am

Heard they were discussing a 1 day shutdown.
Back to top Go down
GODAWGS

GODAWGS

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:02 am

yeah these fuel prices are outrageous
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Yea, the price of fuel is killin everything! It's really eating into my "play" money! :evil:
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

strike wont help, they best keep moving. lots of shippers are looking at and moving to trains to move their goods. with fuel so high the trains can move it much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

strike wont help, they best keep moving. lots of shippers are looking at and moving to trains to move their goods. with fuel so high the trains can move it much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Killer Kodiak

Killer Kodiak

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 pm

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

Somebody will come up with somthing pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Ya know I don't think it would be a bad thing at-all. I'd personally like to see it.
Back to top Go down
Clutch

Clutch

Number of posts : 217

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 pm

The news said it my be a week long strike.

Ok so what prices are everyone paying on average.
$3.43 for the cheep stuff yesterday.

I have been riding my motorcycle to work everyday. Im getting about 140 miles out of a 3 gallon tank :) . Cost me about $20 bucks a week vs. my jeep at about $100 a week.
Back to top Go down
wrenchhead

wrenchhead

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 8:29 pm

if I remember right a truckers strike helped to bring to a end the last gas crunch but i do not see that working this time the oil compnays are injoying there big fat profit margin to much and have got away with it for so long they are not going to back down. the only thing this strike will do is put more owner operators out of bus.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Clutch wrote:
The news said it my be a week long strike.

Ok so what prices are everyone paying on average.
$3.43 for the cheep stuff yesterday.

I have been riding my motorcycle to work everyday. Im getting about 140 miles out of a 3 gallon tank :) . Cost me about $20 bucks a week vs. my jeep at about $100 a week.

+1 i save a pretty good bit when i ride the motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 9:27 pm

I certainly feel for the trucking owner out there.....and in my business logistics is sometimes is the most costly part of waste disposal. On the other hand I have quotes from trucking companies with fuel sur charges as high as 31% of the total bill. All trucking these days has some kind of fuel charge. I am not saying its not warrented because at around $4.00 a gallon for diesel it is a neccessity to keep those guys rolling. There is a national index for figuring a fuel charge and all quotes I get state that this cahrge is subject to change in fuel pricin. I have yet to see anyone who doesnt use the caculator or some form of it. If you recieve basically anything through short trucks, box vans or step sides there is a "stop or fuel charge" for every stop. This charge has made lots of folks skeptics of a fuel charge that transends into all trucking whether it be local or over-the-road hauls. Once again I am not saying its not warrented but should reflect actual cost, plus maybe 10%. The fact is some abuse the fuel charge which in turn gives other carriers who dont abuse it a bad rap.

Say a delivery guy makes 25 stops at $10.00 a stop = $250 per day for that one truck. I seriously doubt over 20% are using 63 gallons of fuel in a day for local deliveries. I guess the independants probably have the worst end of the high fuel prices because of cut throat competition....but hey we are all paying for it in every area of our lives. If they do strike, I would back them but I also dont think one day or one week would help. My 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 10:38 pm

I have a construction trucking company. In a year and a half my fuel cost went from $12,000 to 22,000 a month affraid . I started this company four years ago. At that time I could buy diesel for a$1.65 a gallon. Now it is roughly $3.89 Mad . You can do the math. There is not a lot of money in trucking so fuel hurts.

Now one day shut down is not going to do anything. It would have to be longer then that. I don't remember the 70's "oil shortage".
However, my dad said the truckers strike help. I can participate but I would want it to be two weeks or longer.

I am a free market guy. Because of our tree hugging groups we have not built a new oil refinery in approx 30 years. That is not being very free market like No . I don't think "big oil" is the problem. It is "big government".

That's my soap box and I am getting off :silent:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 12:07 am

My problem with the truckers is this. Nothing to do with the price of fuel. If the majority would stop thinking they own the road and quit driving like they are the only ones who matter, I'd have some simpathy. Otherwise good go on strike and give all the business to the rails. At least then I dont have to worry about some speed-freak killing my wife or son. We've got a truck-stop between us and the interstate, they wil pull out in front of you with no reguards to safety at-all. f-em I hope they all go broke.......
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 am

I empathise Big-R. We run 12 Kenworths pulling 6000 gallons tankers out of my office.....in our industry we can pass these costs along to the customer, as most do. I am sure its harder for some to have the customer pay these costs. I hope this will turn around especially for the ones who cant pass it along.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 12:46 am

ridepate wrote:
My problem with the truckers is this. Nothing to do with the price of fuel. If the majority would stop thinking they own the road and quit driving like they are the only ones who matter, I'd have some simpathy. Otherwise good go on strike and give all the business to the rails. At least then I dont have to worry about some speed-freak killing my wife or son. We've got a truck-stop between us and the interstate, they wil pull out in front of you with no reguards to safety at-all. f-em I hope they all go broke.......

For every one trucker that pisses me off there is ten dumb ass for wheelers. F-them Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 1:11 am

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:

For every one trucker that pisses me off there is ten dumb ass for wheelers. F-them Twisted Evil

I agree with you ,there are probably more 4-wheelers that have no business driving, but I'd much rather butt-heads with 3500#'s than 35k...........a lot of them think they can pull out in front of you and just because they are "bigger" you will stop.......I won't and havn't before. It's funny to see 20k's worth of chickens jacked-knifed in a ditch, white chickens running all over the place,troopers trying to keep them from getting splattered on the interstate, funniest thing I've ever seen........pull out in front of me again......he was charged, not me......... lol!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 1:34 am

ridepate wrote:

I agree with you ,there are probably more 4-wheelers that have no business driving, but I'd much rather butt-heads with 3500#'s than 35k...........a lot of them think they can pull out in front of you and just because they are "bigger" you will stop.......I won't and havn't before. It's funny to see 20k's worth of chickens jacked-knifed in a ditch, white chickens running all over the place,troopers trying to keep them from getting splattered on the interstate, funniest thing I've ever seen........pull out in front of me again......he was charged, not me......... lol!

You know it is easier to stop and start 3500 lbs then 80,000 lbs. A little cutesy goes a long way. I thought just like you until about four years ago when I got my CDL. It is amazing how much people do not give a crap about a big truck. You got to walk in the shoes.

O-yeah, let the trucks go out of business. That will help the economy. That's smart thinking cheers
Back to top Go down
Killer Kodiak

Killer Kodiak

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 8:02 am

We are now charging $0.50+ per mile that I travel, and I'm not delivering, that is just for a consultation.
Back to top Go down
wrenchhead

wrenchhead

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 9:15 am

ridepate wrote:

if they all go broke that would help the economy then there would be no corner gas stop or grocery store
get the point the problems with the trucking started when they deregulated it before that drivers was in it for life but after it put a lot of young guns with no respect for the road and the job in the seat this country can not run without trucks and they do pay more road use tax than any others so in a way they have more rights to be on the road than any 4 wheeler. i am not saying that it is okay for them to drive reckless . just get in one and ride with the guy for a day and you would change your mind if you listen to Jhonboy and billy raford used to dog truckers like you until he took a trip with one then he understood what they go thru in a day and changed his toon. I do not know how busy your street is but somtimes truckers have to pull out as soon as they see a gap because there is no way some four wheeler is going to stop and let him out.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 10:02 am

I rode in a service truck for over a year and people see the big truck and speed up to hop in front of it cause no one wants to be stuck behind the big slow truck or they will pull out in front of them and figure just cause its big they are going slow. I also used to be hate the truck drivers ways of driving but after being in one for over a year i now understand and give em room and let thm just do their job cause as some have an office for their jobs the trucks are their job/office and for some even their home. The strike would useless for a day a week at the minumum would needed. I'm not sure how much it would do only one way to find out Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: truckers strike   Truckers Strike EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

I too am a trucker I also show my butt at times an so do the 4 wheelers enough said.The only legal strike that will work is for all truckers .Have a start time an stick to it .this is how it could work .Travel 55mph,do not pass the truck in front of you leave all emernecy lanes open This has to be done in all states ,With in 3 Three hours all states would come to a halt,.Legal you get your point across an nobody gets hurt.If Ive made any body mad I'm sorry for that but yes gas an fuel prices are out of control an yes you four wheelers would reap the best out of a strke like this also Gary Salem Va
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Damn good idea Gary never heard that one. I too have more respect for anyhthing with more that four wheels after being a service guy in a 33000 GVW air brake service truck when I started in the environmental biz.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 3:49 pm

Sorry if I sound dumb, but i was wondering. Yes. gas is a problem for everyone, why don't truckers just raise their prices to adjust to it? I know alot have "fuel surcharge" for increases in fuel. I guess all don't. I just dont know how a truckers strike is going to effect the global price of Oil. We are not the only country thats gettin hammered. It's every country. 100+ dollars a barrel gives you $4.00 gallon diesel, there is no way around it. We used to be able to control oil prices, we did in 1974 with 55 MPH speed limits cause we were by far the largest consumer and the Arabs had to eat. There is not the same effect if we cut back now due to the amount of oil that China and India now use. we are not the only big players anymore. I afraid we are stuck with these prices until the world adjusts to it, and the only way they will come down is thru lower consumption, and that will be by improved efficency, worldwide recession or a combination of both. I do believe eventually they will come back down. How far I dont know.
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 4:54 pm

What it boils down to is the owner opts are priceing them selves out of a job.Our tags run 500$ to 1000.$ depending on truck .Figure 250.$ for a oil change 1,800$ for tires than IRS an state fuel surcharge over an above what you pay at pump to each state you run in .I got one good job I pay out the bush wack just to say I own my own.If it wasn't for the owner opts your prices that you are paying now for everything would encrease 100% more You know I for got 11,000$ for insurance a year Enough of yaw hearing me go broke with my other brothers in arms in the trucking industry .With out us the nation would be like big oil compaies to charge what they want .Yaw got the money all of us truckers can rest an call it quits an enjoy life an not have to work 100 hours a week to make ends meet .yaw have a good day an say say a prayer for those of us that make you mad or we didn't see you like none of yaw ever pulled out in front of some one may God bless you all Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Truckers Strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truckers Strike   Truckers Strike Empty

Back to top Go down

Truckers Strike
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next