SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates

Go down 
+23
DrMud
bacon
Cuz
DOG
ktpguy
bush
pit dog
RZR_Joe
rzrrider1
farmdogg
Baditude
Big-R
Mudchuck
stanthaman
justlill
8ball_99
Bigmike
ridepate
nocerisdave
PWM
Gimpy
chipper
Mojo5
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mojo5
SSXSRider Member
Mojo5

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates Empty
PostSubject: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I am getting ready to purchase some skid plates for my RZR and want to know what you all think of these two differant materials. I want a good skid plate that won't break my wallet. What do you all suggest?

Mojo scratch
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 pm

I'd go with UHMW. I absolutely love it, it's slick and will glide over rocks or whatever with a soft blow. If you get rocks and such in there they don't rattle around like aluminum plates.

I bought a 3/8" 4x10 piece and made my own. I've been very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I use the Aluminum EMP's with the A-Arm Guards. If you go with the aluminum, check out full package deals at all of the sites, then call Rick with EMP for the southernsxsriders price. He has some of the best looking, fitting and protection, IMO.
This pic shows the A-Arm Guards on mine.

Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates 162mt

Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

I have my last set of aluminum. I will go UHMW on my next set that I will probably purchase soon.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
Mojo5
SSXSRider Member
Mojo5

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 pm

I ordered 3/8 inch UHMW. "Cooter Brown". I will let you know how it goes when I install them. Thanks for the input.
Mojo
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm

UHMW
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 am

Plastic is fantastic!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bigmike

Bigmike

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 am

I just put on a set of the EMP Cooter Brown UHMW skids and love them! Had some minor issues with some hole alignment when installing but nothing major.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:57 am

I like UHMW my self.. Doesn't bend a deform.. Slides on the rocks well. Its also much quieter if you do slap a rock.. I've got Tusk brand skits on mine I got from Rockey Mountain ATV.. They do free shipping and you can find coupon codes to.
Back to top Go down
justlill
SSXSRider Member
justlill

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

one of the guys i ride with bought the cooter brown set. had a time installing them and ended up drilling a hole in his gas tank. he took them off and sold them to me ihad no problem at all installing them. just one word of advise try to install them in a warm place the plastic bend or froms better whem warm. long story but i like it better than aluminum
Back to top Go down
stanthaman

stanthaman

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Until I bust my factory skids I am holding off.But I will get the UHMW skids when I do have to get some.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

stanthaman wrote:
Until I bust my factory skids I am holding off.But I will get the UHMW skids when I do have to get some.

I had those exact same thoughts, Then this happened. Mine didn't break.. Just a large stick went right through a slot placed right under the gas tank..
Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates 162
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:21 pm

This is what I did. The bigger bend protects the gas tank and the 2 front bends go under the front wheel wells for a little added protection. The sides are also bent up to protect the rocker panels. It only took about a 30 pack of buds.

Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates 2010-09-18_17-57-01_559
Back to top Go down
Mudchuck

Mudchuck

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:04 pm

I know this is an old topic but I need some info. I have the Tony's Toys rock sliders. Does anyone know if the Cooter Brown skids will work with the sliders?

chuck
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:03 am

Mudchuck wrote:
I know this is an old topic but I need some info. I have the Tony's Toys rock sliders. Does anyone know if the Cooter Brown skids will work with the sliders?

chuck

Do the sliders stop at the most outer tube. Or do they cover under your seats? If it stops at the outer frame they you should not have any problems.
Back to top Go down
Mudchuck

Mudchuck

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:29 am

They wrap under outside edge and screw on from the bottom.

I'm going to give the Tusk skid plates a try. $257 shipped is hard to ignore.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

I have Aluminum but on my next rzr I will buy the Cooter brown UHMW - thye slide over rocks better etc..
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Also get the gas tank protector from Thunderhawk - consider it a cheap insurance policy
Back to top Go down
farmdogg
SSXSRider Member
farmdogg

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 pm

I see alot of guys are running the UHMW skids. I was planning on buying a set as well but couldnt decide whether to get the 3/8 or the 1/2. What do u guys think?
Back to top Go down
rzrrider1

rzrrider1

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 pm

farmdogg wrote:
I see alot of guys are running the UHMW skids. I was planning on buying a set as well but couldnt decide whether to get the 3/8 or the 1/2. What do u guys think?
I am using the TUSK brand 3/8in and have had no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

⅜" is plenty thick for anything these sxs's need. ½" I've read will stiffen up your buggy if you have a lot of flex.
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 am

Guess I'm the odd duck out, I prefer aluminum. Stiffens the frame substanially.
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 pm

See a lot of people are going to fiber skins clam to be tougher than alum or uhmw.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 pm

i am running aluminum skids with the stock plastic on top of it. best of both.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
ktpguy
SSXSRider Member
ktpguy

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 am

1/2 UHMW SKIDS HERE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates   Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates Empty

Back to top Go down

Aluminum Vs. UHMW -- Skid Plates
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next