SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Boot gone bad

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Boot gone bad Empty
PostSubject: Boot gone bad   Boot gone bad EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm

I was hearing a very light popping noise in the rear inner plunge joint and finally pulled it this morning. I found about an 1/8" tear in the boot. Can the old grease be cleaned out and the boot replaced or would the whole joint be bad? Is there anyway to tell?

Luckily I had a feeling of a potential issue the other day and I've got an axle that will be here on thursday so it won't completely screw my weekend. Also with the axle I have coming there is a inner plunge joint but it's off of an 09 rzr. Does anyone know if I can use that with my cv joint off of the 2011?
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Boot gone bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boot gone bad   Boot gone bad EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 2:50 pm

The axle's are different on the 11's not sure if the joint will work or not, if the boot did not get full of trash, dirt or water you can repack the joint and put on a new boot and it will be fine. If you just want to get by for this ride, push as much grease as you can in the boot and wrap it good with duct tape.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Boot gone bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boot gone bad   Boot gone bad EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks gunrunner, I've got 1 1/2 axles on the way to me now. Provided it's good I'll be fine for the weekend. Once I cut the boot off I guess I'll clean all the old grease out. Is there anyway I can tell by looking if there is any damage? From the grease that was around the a-arm it all looked clean and didn't look bad, as much I could tell. I may order a boot kit next week and we will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Boot gone bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boot gone bad   Boot gone bad EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:18 pm

If it just happened it should be fine, they go bad after they get dirt and water in and you run them awhile.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Sponsored content

Boot gone bad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boot gone bad   Boot gone bad Empty

Back to top Go down

Boot gone bad
Page 1 of 1