SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front end parts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GCFD112

GCFD112

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2011-11-02

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:56 am

About to replace the tie rod ends and ball joints on my 12 s. Should i go back with stock or is there a stronger better choice out there? Also broke a hub this weekend. First time ive broke anything since ive had it. Kinda made me sick. Any of you guys running billet hubs?
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:17 pm

You can buy several of the OEM hubs for the of one billet... the last one I bought was ~$38. I now use two Bellevue washers in place of the one OEM.

Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Im pretty sure when i pulled my hub off there was already two washers.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 1:49 pm

The outer one is a regular flat, and the inner one is a Bellevue, and the Bellevue has to be oriented. I added another Bellevue.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok i see what you mean. Whats the advantage of having 2 like that? I didnt even know the hub was broke til i got back home and i heard something rolling around in the center cap. When i pulled the cap off it was the cotter pin it had broke and the axle nut had backed off. Can you get a stronger cotterpin. Could of been very bad if i had rode any longer.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Ooops... Bellville washer. A Bellville washer is a spring, and it this instance, keeps the hub/bearing/axle under a more constant preload than just what the nut torque can accomplish. Two nested washers just doubles the spring preload.

The broken cotter pin and backed off nut is a result of the hub being broken... not the other way. You will probably find that the brake pads are also damaged due to the misalignment.

Last edited by Dan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Ok I got you. May be a stupid question but the cone part of the washer needs to be pointed in right?
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 pm

The cone needs to be pointed to the nut...
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I have billet hubs from UTV inc, bought mine for peace of mind. Looking at the stock ones the billet ones are cheap insurance in my mind. What part of the hub broke? was it front front or rear? I'm having a hrad time understanding how it broke the cotter pin and the nut backed off.
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 pm

It was the front left hub. The inner part of the hub that sticks out the back and slides over the axle splines broke off.
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Got a pic?
Back to top Go down
GCFD112

GCFD112

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Whats your # and ill txt u a pic of what im taklking about. Idk how to post a pic on here from my iphone
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am

I just replaced both my rear hubs on my black RZR.. I just went back with the stock ones. I'm pretty sure the only reason why mine broke were the bearings got to much slop in them and took the hubs.. Like dan said it stuff tends to have a cascade effect on suspension parts.. Two bad bushings will wear the others out, bad bearing will take out the hub, ect, ect.

You don't need a stronger cotter pin.. Once that inner sleeve of the hub broke the spline part of the hub was no longer connected. So the only thing that was keeping the axle nut on was that cotter pin.. Same thing would have happend if you would have just stripped the spline out of the hub.. FWIW thats exactly where one of mine broke.. But I guess I caught it pretty quick cause the nut was still tight and most everything else on the wheel was good minus a bearing, hub, and a couple of bushings..

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front end parts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front end parts   Front end parts Empty

Back to top Go down

Front end parts
Page 1 of 1