SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Had a great day yesterday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Had a great day yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday EmptyWed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm

I got the oppurtunity to go to the BMW performance driving school courtesy of one of my drug reps. They had just about every model they make available to drive, including the X5, X6, Z4, M3, M5, M6, and a 750. We got to take the X's on their "off-road" course, which was somewhat disappointing for someone who has been off-roading for years like me. But the real fun to be had was on the road course. The M5 was probably the fastest of the lot, and it felt like a race car, very stiff and raw power. But by favorite was the M6. It has a normally aspirated V10 producing 500 hp. Punch the throttle in that baby and you are thrust into the back of the seat. Throw it into a turn at speeds that would spin out any other car and you will rocket out of the other side, punch it again and you will be up to 100 mph before you know it. It felt great, and if I had $120k to blow on something, there would be one in my driveway.
It's kind of funny, I thought I was doing pretty well, and I was posting the fastest times of the day, but I then got into the passenger seat with one of the instructors driving. He turned off all the traction control crap, and set the tranny to manual shifting with the paddle shifters. I then went on the ride of my life. There is so much those cars are capable of that is beyond my driving skills.
But a seed was planted. Several years ago before we had children we used to own a 3 series convertible. We LOVED that car and hated to sell it. But two baby seats wouldn't fit. However the kids are almost at a point where they won't be needed much longer, and if we got another, it would be a purchase that the wife would approve of. I have missed my racing days at the circle tracks, but SCCA road racing is something that I think we could really get into.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday EmptyWed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Get any good pictures?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

PostSubject: Re: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

I didn't take any, but my car partner took some. I'll see what she got when she emails them to me.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm

I do work for them over there in Spartanburg, starting a new project there in June...doesn't it make ya feel broke when the janitor pulls up in a X5 or even worse watching them carry a X6 to the scrap bin!!
I watch them pull off the assembly line come out the door and stick it on the floor...break in period my ass!! My favorite was the X5M50D
That's a diesel X5 with the M package...it's MEAN!! And a diesel!!
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

PostSubject: Re: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:34 pm

The guy in front of me was driving one of those new diesel X5's but it wasn't an M. I couldn't even tell it was a diesel, the only external difference were the tailpipes. They were pretty cool, even though they had almost zero wheel travel they had some type of traction control electronic lockers (they call it X Drive). You could two wheel it, stop, and continue on with a little go pedal.

Hollon, are you going to do some work on the new X4 line?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Had a great day yesterday   Had a great day yesterday Empty

Back to top Go down

Had a great day yesterday
Page 1 of 1