SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke

Go down 
+10
Cuz
jhoncho4x4
ohsresq
bush
MarkM
njcraddock
MuddyBuddy
Gimpy
TBONE21
Goose
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  Empty
PostSubject: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Opinions please:hitfan:deadhorse
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Ford all the way. Number one selling truck in America for 36 years and counting. Our company have tried them all and fords had the least down time and most comfort. Also could haul the heavy loads better than the others.

Cummins was good but one of our trucks threw a rod at 5000 miles. I had warranty fix it and I immediately sold it and replaced it with another ford. We had a chevy D max and it was a good engine, problem is it couldn't stop the loads worth a dang. Also had one to throw a tranny. Got rid of those.
All the guys want the fords too because of the nice ride. I am thinking about adding a cummins back into the fleet one day soon though. It will always be ford as the number one truck though. I've tested and bought them all.

You will love the new fords. I have two of them.   Remember everything else is a bailout Obama truck
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Duramax is the only one I would have.  I have 118,000 on mine.  Never had any issues with me or the previous owner.  8Ball puts lots of miles on his.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:24 pm

This is going to be fun........
Im a Ford guy but to be honest its all in what year your looking to buy.
If you are wanting new hands down the best new diesel out there is the F250.
All the duramax's with the LBZs in em are awesome (and the new ones aint bad either)
And cummins, well cummins is great, dodge just is not up to par on the rest of the truck compared to the chevy and the ford.

at the end of the day like everything in life its down to how much you want to spend
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:28 am

They are all great diesels. If I was going to buy a new truck I would probably look at the Chevy's but would end up buying another Ford.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
SSXSRider Member
MarkM

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 am

80k on my '09 Dmax. No problems.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:54 pm

dmax for me.

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  Jd55010
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
ohsresq
SSXSRider Member
ohsresq

Number of posts : 1753
Registration date : 2010-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Stay away from the 6.0 and especially the 6.4L diesel. I had an 08 F-350.  I bought the truck in 2010 with 6,000mi. To many pattern failures. Belt tensioner at 34,000mi, $800.00 with new belt. 39,000mi Radiator sprung a leak at crimp seam. $1,490 to replace and no guarantee the new radiator wont develop the same leak. Oil cooler plugs with coolant sediment due to EGR being liquid cooled. That will set you back over $5,000.00.The mechanic at ford told me it's not a matter of if, but when these failures occur. He told me when the engine melts down when the Turbo seals burn out and leak oil due to regeneration exhaust temps causeing oil to leak into the PDF filter causing continuous Regeneration. They are to steer the customer to a new truck with the 6.7L. My next diesel when the time comes will be an older 7.3L Diesel of a Cummings. Even if I have to rehab the truck. I use to be Die Hard Ford till they wouldn't help with the repair cost on a known failure issue.rant22cents
Back to top Go down
http://ohsresq@yahoo.com
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:37 am

Depends if you are talking a brand new truck or a used one. With the new trucks it is a coin toss anymore. The EPA has screwed with them so much that reliability and longevity has become a thing of the past. The last truck I bought I purposely bought an older Super Duty with the 7.3. Has never gave me a single problem and will burn anything I put in the tank. The fuel I run it on costs me from 50 cents to $1.50 a gallon. I buy between 100 and 250 gallons at a time. Gives me better mileage and lubricates my injectors. Could not do that with a newer truck and all of their emissions equipment. I am going to have trouble replacing it someday.
Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  20130216_175223_zpsb98cafcc
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 7:30 am

Are you burning WVO?
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 am

No, that stuff is too much work.
Better not say on a open public forum. Google keyword search results direct to this forum too easily. Don't need Obummer taking this one away from me.
Ask me on the trail or something and I will explain it.
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 am

looks like hes burning soy
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:31 am

Ohsresq, so I think I am hearing u say that the 6.7 ford is not supposed to have these problems? I am looking at all options new used doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Cuz
SSXSRider Member
Cuz

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 am

I have a 6.0 with over 130000 on it. It has been a great truck. No problems at all. I also have a 7.3 with over 375000 on it and I would trust it to go anywhere. I put a quart of transmission fluid in every other tank of fuel to clean and lubricate the injectors
Back to top Go down
ohsresq
SSXSRider Member
ohsresq

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 am

The mechanics at Ford say it's a good motor (the 6.7) with mistakes learned from the 6.0 and 6.4. But the 6.7 just came out so time will tell. The 6.4 is also real touchy when it comes to water in the fuel since the fuel pressure runs at 10,000psi per dealer mechanic.
I learned that the hard way to. Only go to stations that sell a lot of diesel.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 am

lol UT oh the dreaded Ford vs chevy debate.. Yes I left dodge out. Honestly I'm not brand loyal at all.. I've owned Chevy, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota trucks. Infact we still have our Tundra and its been a really good truck. And for a 1/2 I honestly think it will out pull any of them. Thats why I ended up with a Duramax. None of the other 1/2 ton gas trucks could touch our 08 tundra even 3 years later.
I considered 6.7 powerstroke cause honestly ford has a better interior then chevy IMO. But I know way to many guys with 6.0 and 6.4 fords with tons of problems.. I'm sure plenty of guys will step up and say theirs has been great. Just IME I wouldn't own one.. My own brother law was left stranded on the side of the road in his 2010 6.4 F350 just last week. With its whopping 35k miles on it lol.  Have to wonder why they have changed engines so often.. I was scared of the 6.7 just cause of the track record of their past engines..

I went with a Duramax because everyone loves theirs.. You talk to guys at gas stations, camp grounds ect. 50 of them will brag on their truck while 1 will have had a problem. And the problems in most cases are pretty small.. Only big expense people complain about is injectors in some of the older ones once they get up close to 100k miles. Plenty of guys running these trucks with well over a couple hundred thousand and still very happy with them. I've got 41k on my 2011 and I still Love it.

The new trucks do have all the EPA pollution crap on them which sucks. But they also have as much horse power and torq as the older trucks With mods. My truck stock is 397 Hp and 765 Torq. Pulls great. Has factory exhaust break and has a built in brake controller that works better then any controller I've ever used.. When my warranty is up I plan on removing the DPF. It hasn't caused me any problems and the exhaust fluid cost like 25 bucks every 5k miles.. I just know they get better mileage and have more power with out that junk.

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  File_zps929e5173
Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  File_zps6687dff2
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:12 pm

8ball_99 wrote:
lol UT oh the dreaded Ford vs chevy debate.. Yes I left dodge out. Honestly I'm not brand loyal at all.. I've owned Chevy, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota trucks. Infact we still have our Tundra and its been a really good truck. And for a 1/2 I honestly think it will out pull any of them. Thats why I ended up with a Duramax. None of the other 1/2 ton gas trucks could touch our 08 tundra even 3 years later.
I considered 6.7 powerstroke cause honestly ford has a better interior then chevy IMO. But I know way to many guys with 6.0 and 6.4 fords with tons of problems.. I'm sure plenty of guys will step up and say theirs has been great. Just IME I wouldn't own one.. My own brother law was left stranded on the side of the road in his 2010 6.4 F350 just last week. With its whopping 35k miles on it lol.  Have to wonder why they have changed engines so often.. I was scared of the 6.7 just cause of the track record of their past engines..

I went with a Duramax because everyone loves theirs.. You talk to guys at gas stations, camp grounds ect. 50 of them will brag on their truck while 1 will have had a problem. And the problems in most cases are pretty small.. Only big expense people complain about is injectors in some of the older ones once they get up close to 100k miles. Plenty of guys running these trucks with well over a couple hundred thousand and still very happy with them. I've got 41k on my 2011 and I still Love it.

The new trucks do have all the EPA pollution crap on them which sucks. But they also have as much horse power and torq as the older trucks With mods. My truck stock is 397 Hp and 765 Torq. Pulls great. Has factory exhaust break and has a built in brake controller that works better then any controller I've ever used.. When my warranty is up I plan on removing the DPF. It hasn't caused me any problems and the exhaust fluid cost like 25 bucks every 5k miles.. I just know they get better mileage and have more power with out that jun

Will, you forgot your best upgrade is the TRAIN HORN!!  thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
BigAlCash
SSXSRider Member
BigAlCash

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 am

Love my duramax!
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:08 am

What year BigAl
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:42 am

All 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 motors were made by IH. The 6.7 is built by Ford. IH would have been happy to have stayed with the 7.3 design for eternity had it not been for Ford dictating more HP and torque out of a smaller package.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 am

Gimpy wrote:
Quote :
Will, you forgot your best upgrade is the TRAIN HORN!!  thatsright

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  Photo-2
Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  Photo
Back to top Go down
ohsresq
SSXSRider Member
ohsresq

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 7:04 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 am

njcraddock wrote:
All 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 motors were made by IH. The 6.7 is built by Ford. IH would have been happy to have stayed with the 7.3 design for eternity had it not been for Ford dictating more HP and torque out of a smaller package.

No,   emissions is what killed the 7.3. It was one of the worst in that department and it could not be retrofitted. Believe me we have had this duscussion with Ford. They wanted to keep it but Obama didnt like it.
Back to top Go down
BluDevil
SSXSRider Member
BluDevil

Number of posts : 531
Registration date : 2013-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:25 am

Just give me a ole' 2 ton truck and I'd be happy. those trucks outlast the driver.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:11 pm

TBONE21 wrote:
njcraddock wrote:

No,   emissions is what killed the 7.3. It was one of the worst in that department and it could not be retrofitted. Believe me we have had this duscussion with Ford. They wanted to keep it but Obama didnt like it.

Such a shame too because that is arguably one of the best diesel motors ever built for consumers. Definitely one of the toughest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duramax, cummins, or power stroke    Duramax, cummins, or power stroke  Empty

Back to top Go down

Duramax, cummins, or power stroke
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next