SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change Empty
PostSubject: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 7:20 pm

O.k. guys with 660's and 450's, help me out here.

Trying to change out the rear pads, golly what a head ache. Is there something easy I'm missing? No space to work with, can't hardly get to the bolt that holds on the caliper, someone told me to screw in the piston, not push it in when I did try to put in the new pads?

What did you guys do when you changed yours?

Did you have to take off the heat shield and muffler to change the pads? Right now, that's seems the easiest way to go just to reach it.

M
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Take the bottom plastic skid pan off under the caliper and drop it out the bottom to work on. Just remove 2 bolts holding it to the Diff housing and let it drop. Then remove the 2 allen head screws in the end of the caliper to drop the pads out. Remember to save the shims off the old pads to put back on. To reinstall. Loosen the master cylinder cap and use a 3/4 inch wood chistle if you have it to push the caliper piston back flush with the caliper. It will require some force, just put the chistle in the groove of the piston and slightly turn while pushing. Put new pads on and put back together. Dont forget to retighten your master cylinder cap when your done.

Do not push your brake pedal until the pads are back on and the Master cylinder cap is tightened.
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Bless you..........................

M
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Got it all done finally. Thanks Yank for the tips, it all worked just like you said. Now let's see how long these $38 e-bay pads all the way around last?

Just for the record, after 800 miles, factory rear pads had just started metal to metal, front pads another 200 miles tops.

M

P.s. I sure don't wanna go thru that hassle often, if these pads don't wear well, I won't mind to spend the extra to get some that do.

Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer job = COMPLETE BRAKE PAD CHANGE ON A 08 RHINO 450
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Glad you got it figured out. I have around 900 miles on my stock front ones and I had to change the rears about 300 miles ago. I used the same ebay pads you are using and they seem to do just fine.
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:13 pm

I hope so, I'm sure second time would be easier, but I like the 800 mile pad. Once a year per change would be great.

M
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Yep, i got the ebay pads and have 900 miles on the rear now. But I also have 1500 miles on the original front pads. They are holding up well for me as I do alot of hills here in WV. I am more on the gas than the brake though. lol!

1500 miles and 120 hours = 12.5 MPH average everytime the key is on.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:37 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Yep, i got the ebay pads and have 900 miles on the rear now. But I also have 1500 miles on the original front pads. They are holding up well for me as I do alot of hills here in WV. I am more on the gas than the brake though. lol!

You need to start riding with me. We'll wear those brakes down......

thatsright thatsright
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Big-R wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

You need to start riding with me. We'll wear those brakes down......

thatsright thatsright

Ronnie, going down hills is no problem...........Hell you can fall down them. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change   Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change Empty

Back to top Go down

Geesh, Rear 450 brake pad change
Page 1 of 1