SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cooling fan went bad

Go down 
+3
ridepate
S
muddbuggy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
muddbuggy

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-23

cooling fan went bad Empty
PostSubject: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 pm

My cooling fan crapped out last month, so I went to the auto parts store and bought a universal cooling fan/motor of the same size and it works great but.... My question is...I noticed this weekend the universal fan kept cycling on and off at around 150deg. witch is OK but with the OEM fan/motor it used to stay on and run for what seemed like 30sec or more.

UPDATE: it was overheating last weekend with the uni fan and short cycling on and off

Any ideas what could be different from OEM to a uni cooling fan or why I'm noticing it now and not before?

thanks for your input.

PLEASE HELP
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 pm

I would just hook up the universal fan to a toggle switch. Turn it on a few minutes after start up. Maybe get a temp gauge to keep a closer eye on the temp. Would be able to turn the fan when you want.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Buggy,
Have you tried to bleed the system. Just because you never have, don't mean you don't need to.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:11 pm

sc rhino wrote:
I would just hook up the universal fan to a toggle switch. Turn it on a few minutes after start up. Maybe get a temp gauge to keep a closer eye on the temp. Would be able to turn the fan when you want.

Or you can jump the sender at the radiator and it will come-on everytime the key is on.
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:19 pm

ridepate wrote:
sc rhino wrote:

Or you can jump the sender at the radiator and it will come-on everytime the key is on.

That would work too. But I would need to be able to turn it off in the winter for warm up.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 pm

sc rhino wrote:
ridepate wrote:
sc rhino wrote:

That would work too. But I would need to be able to turn it off in the winter for warm up.

True,
I'd just do that to see what was going-on. If it still ran hot with a constant fan, there could be several reasons. But a temp-gauge, like sc said ,is very useful.
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Always good to be able to keep an eye on things if you can.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 4:04 pm

I know he has a temp guage and his temp light kept coming on he had it on a toggle then tied it in just like the OEM fan and would cycle on and off

I am not sure why the length of the fan running is defferent between the 2
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Is it possible adding more hose would help our over heating issues? I have wondered but thought it might be a stupid question.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:36 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
Is it possible adding more hose would help our over heating issues? I have wondered but thought it might be a stupid question.

Everytime I add more hose it usually increases the heat Dave. roflmao hitit
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:51 pm

shawnley1222 wrote:
I know he has a temp guage and his temp light kept coming on he had it on a toggle then tied it in just like the OEM fan and would cycle on and off

I am not sure why the length of the fan running is defferent between the 2

You know, Craig has a buddie with an aftermarket fan and he has the same, quick-cycle problem?? Wonder if the amp-draw is different, causing the relay to kick in and out more often because of the draw?? That's my guess anyway.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:28 pm

10 sec cycles circut breaker heats up and cuts off.he took the breaker out and put a 10 amp fuse in..........works like a champ.he got the a shroud and a 10 inch fan off ebay for about 140 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cooling fan went bad   cooling fan went bad Empty

Back to top Go down

cooling fan went bad
Page 1 of 1