SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 Empty
PostSubject: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm gonna replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts on my 2000 Dak. I've read up on the procedure and it does not seem the parts are too hard to get to or re-do. Dealing with rusted parts will be the hardest part it seems. I've read where some say to replace with only factory bolts (they would probably rust/break off like the ones before), some say grade 8 and some grade 5.
I'm gonna put her on stands and soak the parts with penetrating oils for a couple days before starting.

Anyway, does anyone here have experience with this job on this particular motor?
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 pm

PB blaster is a good penetrate, and it might help to crank it and let it warm a little, bolts come out better with heat.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Boliver
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 11:40 am

When you use the penetrating oil,take a small ball peen hammer and tap the head of the bolts ,this will help break loose the rust and vibrate the penerating oil around the threads,this has worked for me many times taking rusty bolts out...

When you install the new bolts,use anti-seize on the threads and if you ever need to remove them again,they will usually come out easy..
Back to top Go down
Bigg Bubba

Bigg Bubba

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 9:13 pm

you may have to get the torch out to heat em up a tadd.... if it dont help, go ahead a cut em loose.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 12:55 am

DirtDawber wrote:
I'm gonna replace the exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts on my 2000 Dak. I've read up on the procedure and it does not seem the parts are too hard to get to or re-do. Dealing with rusted parts will be the hardest part it seems. I've read where some say to replace with only factory bolts (they would probably rust/break off like the ones before), some say grade 8 and some grade 5.
I'm gonna put her on stands and soak the parts with penetrating oils for a couple days before starting.

Anyway, does anyone here have experience with this job on this particular motor?

DD , if you have access to a torch , put a little heat right where
the manifold and the head meets right over each bolt. Do it one at a time.
dont cook it. just some heat. and thay will back right out. Dont heat the bolt.
This is why i dont recommend cranking it. you want to expand the bolt hole.
not the bolt. if you heat both , the bolt will expand too. Do it like i said
and thay wont break. I have done many..... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8   Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep 4.7L V8
Page 1 of 1