SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.

Go down 
+3
Big-R
wvyankee2
Woodtick
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. Empty
PostSubject: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 am

Twice this past weekend my 450 Rhino acted a little strange? First while doing down a VERY steep hill, I got a pop of a back fire two times! Never done that before? Next I was making another VERY steep downhill and thought better of it. The further down I went the steeper it got. When I'd had enough I put it in 4 wheel diff lock, shifted to reverse and began to back my way back up out of there. At that time me buggy started to buck, (kind of like a miss) and carry on a little. I only had about 1/4 of a tank of fuel. Is my fuel filter getting dirty or did the angle prevent enough gas getting to the fuel pickup in the tank or what? Help me out here oh Great Ones! Thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 am

The fuel pickup is in the back of the Tank, and could have been running out trying to back up. You also have a rev limiter that may have come into play there. Far as the backfire, Dirty air or fuel filter are the first things that come to mind.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:00 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
The fuel pickup is in the back of the Tank, and could have been running out trying to back up. You also have a rev limiter that may have come into play there. Far as the backfire, Dirty air or fuel filter are the first things that come to mind.

Check the spark plug too. It can cause backfiring. More then likely it will be the fuel filter.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:18 am

I agree sounds like the pickup may have been running out of fuel when backing up.

As far as the back fire I would change the fuel filter and check the exhaust header bolts.

Napa gold 3011 fuel filter has the same dementions as stock and will save a trip to the Yamaha dealer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:41 pm

The backing up was likely the rev limiter. That will make it mis and buck.

As for the backfire -- Yamaha's do that occassionally. My 660 will do it maybe once for every all day ride. No biggie. One of my friends has a Honda that did it alot...
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:33 pm

I keep a fuel filter and spark plug in my tool box under the seat. But those are for emergency use only in the field. I went over to the YammiHammer dealer this after noon and got another of each. Will put them in tomorrow morning, check and clean the air filter as needed and my little problem should be gone. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Phil put a wrench on the pipe-bolts to the head too.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Changed the fuel filter today. Dang! What a job. I can't bend my back for very long and they had the stupid clips turned away rather than toward where you could hold of them. For something that should have been so easy it was a real pain in the butt. Anyway, it's done. Will know this weekend if that was the trouble or not. Plug looked fine. Cleaned air filter but it wasn't really very dirty at all. Thanks for all the input fella's.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Phil, when r u heading to Ritchie County? We are heading up Sat morning.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Either tomorrow or Sat. If we get everything ready in time I'd like to go tomorrow. Where bouts are you gonna be. We are gonna be in the Burnthouse / Hazelgreen area. Hell of it is there is NO CELL SERVICE at our farm. Are you leaving from KY Sat morning or your folks house in WV Sat morning? What time would you guess you'd be in Ritchie?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.   I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again. Empty

Back to top Go down

I need to Tap Into The Brain Trust Again.
Page 1 of 1