SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting a trailer?

Go down 
+5
Woodtick
Mud-and-Guts
roadiestar
wvyankee2
tim
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Painting a trailer? Empty
PostSubject: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:14 pm

I got a real good deal on a 14' trailer( or I think I did). It is in the need of some fresh paint. The trailer is a faded red right now and I want to paint it black. I dont have a sprayer so I will be using a roller and a brush. My question is what is the best paint to get to put on it? I want it to last a few years before it will need to be repainted. Something that dont fade to quickly. I painted my little trailer last year with Rustoleum. It still looks good but was wanting to know if there was something better? Thanks

Tim
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:55 pm

tim wrote:
I got a real good deal on a 14' trailer( or I think I did). It is in the need of some fresh paint. The trailer is a faded red right now and I want to paint it black. I dont have a sprayer so I will be using a roller and a brush. My question is what is the best paint to get to put on it? I want it to last a few years before it will need to be repainted. Something that dont fade to quickly. I painted my little trailer last year with Rustoleum. It still looks good but was wanting to know if there was something better? Thanks

Tim

I would give it a light sanding and use a black Roll on bedliner coating. I rolled it on my black trailer over that cheap paint, and it is tough as nails.
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Use regular automotive paint, get something cheap off ebay it will last a lot longer. This is a example and it's a lot better than Rustoleum.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Candy-Apple-Red-Urethane-Acrylic-Automotive-Paint-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f1d51a86QQitemZ300410018438QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_3663wt_1165
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Yank wrote:
tim wrote:

Tim

I would give it a light sanding and use a black Roll on bedliner coating. I rolled it on my black trailer over that cheap paint, and it is tough as nails.

Has your black trailer got a wooden floor? I have considered coating the wood on my 16 footer with Herculiner to give it more grip just unsure of how it will hold up. Eat
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:11 pm

mud-and-guts wrote:
Yank wrote:
tim wrote:

Tim

Has your black trailer got a wooden floor? I have considered coating the wood on my 16 footer with Herculiner to give it more grip just unsure of how it will hold up. Eat

It has a wooden floor. I am going to replace some of the boards with treated wood.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:13 pm

roadiestar wrote:
Use regular automotive paint, get something cheap off ebay it will last a lot longer. This is a example and it's a lot better than Rustoleum.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Candy-Apple-Red-Urethane-Acrylic-Automotive-Paint-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f1d51a86QQitemZ300410018438QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_3663wt_1165

roadiestar can you roll that kind of paint on with a roller? I dont has a spray gun to spray it with.

Tim
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:47 pm

Yes you can, and it will last a LOT longer.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 am

Hey M&G, if I were you I'd think twice about painting the floor of your trailer with bed liner stuff. If you paint any of the metal with it, let it fully cure and then wet it down and see how slick it becomes. I saw a guy at the jet spray do it yourself car wash trying to wash the bed of his truck. He REALLY busted his a$$ big time at least once. That bed was so slick he could barely stand up. You can though, also get those self sticking non skid strips from Lowe's and others that work pretty good. I use them on my boat trailer. If'n ya paint it man, just be careful loading and unloading if things get wet.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 am

Woodtick wrote:
Hey M&G, if I were you I'd think twice about painting the floor of your trailer with bed liner stuff. If you paint any of the metal with it, let it fully cure and then wet it down and see how slick it becomes. I saw a guy at the jet spray do it yourself car wash trying to wash the bed of his truck. He REALLY busted his a$$ big time at least once. That bed was so slick he could barely stand up. You can though, also get those self sticking non skid strips from Lowe's and others that work pretty good. I use them on my boat trailer. If'n ya paint it man, just be careful loading and unloading if things get wet.

The wood is also slick when wet that is why I was asking. Parked on a slight hill if the wood is wet it is imposable to load because the rhino slides into the rail on the low side. I was think the rough texture of the bedliner maybe better but maybe not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 am

See if you can put some sand in the paint or liner material. That usually works.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 am

On my trailer, I used Rust-Oleum "HAMMERED", part #7215. You can apply over rust and doesn't need primer. It was on my trailer for about 4 years and the only places that came off was when I was tearing down a barn and the wood that had nails in it chipped it off. I think we got it at Lowes. Put it on with roller and brush. Just wash with soap and water first.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:31 pm

tim wrote:

Tim
Painting anything is mainly in the prep work. Around here we can go to a local monument (gravestone company) and for a reasonable fee get them to sand blast the unit before painting it, good luck.
The Colonel,

Last edited by KY. Colonel on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Gimpy wrote:
On my trailer, I used Rust-Oleum "HAMMERED", part #7215. You can apply over rust and doesn't need primer. It was on my trailer for about 4 years and the only places that came off was when I was tearing down a barn and the wood that had nails in it chipped it off. I think we got it at Lowes. Put it on with roller and brush. Just wash with soap and water first.

Gimpy I did see the Rustoleum hammered paint a lowes. I just did not know if it was worth the extra cost.

Tim
Back to top Go down
loosenut
SSXSRider Member
loosenut

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Tim, new trailor for a new buggy by chance?
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

loosenut wrote:
Tim, new trailor for a new buggy by chance?

Not just yet. Going to keep the old Rhino a little longer. Going to wait and see what comes out in the next year or so.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Mud-and-Guts wrote:

Yes it has a wood floor. I did not coat it though. Only the metal.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm

tim wrote:
Gimpy wrote:

Gimpy I did see the Rustoleum hammered paint a lowes. I just did not know if it was worth the extra cost.

Tim

My 14 foot trailer took 3 quart cans to do. I have diamond steel bed on mine.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 am

OK I got everything painted but the gate on back. I ran out of paint. I think I might just rattle can the gate, I dont think the roller is going to get the mess gate to well. I am going to run the wires for the new light and put the floor back in today.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 pm

PICS needed, when you are done. That way I'll see if I'll let you paint mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting a trailer?   Painting a trailer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Painting a trailer?
Page 1 of 1