SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cold start issue....Please HELP

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ewolfe
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Cold start issue....Please HELP Empty
PostSubject: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 am

Ok, I've tried to get some info over at the RZRforums, but no dice. My 09 RZR is giving me starting fits only when it's cold. At home, in the garage, I've never been able to reproduce this issue...it only happens once the bike has sat outside and the temp drops down a bit...Coal Creek both times.

Once it sits overnight and the temp drops, the next day it will not start until the sun warms the bike up a bit. It will try to start, then it sounds like a compression release kicks in and the motor just free spins with no attempt to fire...let it sit a few minutes and try the starter again, it will try to fire and at the moment you think it's going to fire, it starts to free spin again...WTH??? It took 2 hours of letting it sit in the sun to finally get it to start. The last time it did it, at Coal Creek, I loaded it on the trailer and took it to town and pressure washed the bike (warm water) and she fired up instantly...I'm lost here. Do you guys have any ideas where I should look? I will check the fuel pressure this weekend, but I just don't see that being the issue, as once I do get it started...the rest of the day I can stop for beer brakes all I want and she will fire right up, no matter how long it sits...until it sits outside overnight.

Hmmm, I desperately need some insight as I can't find any info out on the web to even point me in the right direction to try to troubleshoot this deal.

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
T-ROY

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 am

HI I'M TROY FROM POLARIS OF LOUISVILLE, I'VE SEEN THIS PROBLEM 1 OTHER TIME ON A 08 EARLY MODEL RZR WHICH WAS ON IT'S SECOND ENGINE. WILL FIRST OF ALL THERE IS NO DECOMPRESSION, JUST BASIC THERE IS LIFTERS THAT MAY BLEED DOWN WHEN COLD WHICH IN TURN WILL CAUSE LOW COMPRESSION OR OIL PUMP IS WEAK OR PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE STICKING . YOU CAN BRING TO ME & I'LL CK IT OUT GOOD LUCK
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 11:07 am

I would try a few things, New plugs, maybe even a range hotter, pull the ecm connector off behind the seat and add dielectgric grease, i would do this to the coils and other connections too. Are you running the polars newer recommended 02-50 syn oil?

check all connections around the battery area to be sure they are tight and clean. I would us premium gas now that all grades have that crappy ethanol added and i would always add seafoam gas stabilizer to every tank. I dont know if this will cure your problem but its good to do this to any rzr if you want them to perform at their best. one last thought, have you checked and cleaned your spark arrestor? If clogged it can keep one from cranking easily.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Any aftermarket ignition boxes on your RZR? Lifters bleeding off arnt really tempature dependant.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Craig_C wrote:
Any aftermarket ignition boxes on your RZR? Lifters bleeding off arnt really tempature dependant.

No aftermarket ignition stuff at all. Then ONLY engine mod is a full Gibson exhaust and I installed a new battery about 6 months ago. This deal is TOTALLY temp related. This has only happened twice and both times the bike was outside all night in the cold while on a weekend ride. As long as the bike is warm, either housed inside or warm from riding it, it will fire in an instant...I don't want to start wasting money by replacing parts without some sort of plan.

The bike only has 300 miles on it...it's not even broke in yet :)

I appreciate all your responses and inputs, these will help direct my efforts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold start issue....Please HELP   Cold start issue....Please HELP Empty

Back to top Go down

Cold start issue....Please HELP
Page 1 of 1