SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windrock/Coal Creek

Go down 
+5
Doc
Gimpy
Smith700
wvyankee2
Hollon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Windrock/Coal Creek Empty
PostSubject: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm

We had a great time this past weekend in spite of all the rain, I got to meet a few of the fourm members I hadnt met before, thats always cool. those are some of the best trails in the entire country. now with that being said, THE MAPS SUCK!!! guys please hire a survey crew with some good tracking GPS and do it right, I seen lots of people there saying the same thing, so if you want to stay on top, BE THE BEST!! 2cents
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm

nopics

yeah, a lot of the trails are not marked well. Got to follow your map pretty closely. Still gets you screwed up on the North Side.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 pm

In fact....the trails are now marked better then they ever was. Ron/Brent have been doing a great job at it.

I think the maps are pretty good........
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Smith700 wrote:
In fact....the trails are now marked better then they ever was. Ron/Brent have been doing a great job at it.

I think the maps are pretty good........

I have not been there since last May. I hope they have improved.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Even the north-side trails are marked VERY well.....almost every trail intersection is marked.

I will agree....last May, it needed improvement.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 9:46 pm

We found a lot of unmarked intersections this trip.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

we found a lot of unmarked trails and a lot of times the map was just wrong! just try to find trail 4 while sitting at the intersection of trail 3, the map shows it being about a half mile away when in fact they are side by side. unless we had 15 stupid people in our group that usually finds their way pretty well then I stand by my, MAPS SUCK comment.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:35 am

I still bought a years pass and will absolutely ride there again and again still great riding even if we were lost most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Doc
SSXSRider Member
Doc

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 am

Hollon wrote:
I still bought a years pass and will absolutely ride there again and again still great riding even if we were lost most of the time.

Right after the "lost" part the "adventure" part kicks in and becomes more fun for us just need to be prepared with all the correct gear/fluids. Or you can use the Orb for guidance and safe journey before the ride like Icandoit does below..........

Windrock/Coal Creek 2501568840047883113S200x200Q85

Windrock/Coal Creek 2368583330047883113S200x200Q85

We rode the south side Friday and to the Flats Sat with the intent of driving on over to the eternal flame until we found a potential breakdown in the near future and just headed back and rode T9, T 37, and the ever nasty T16. Got in around 80 miles for 2 days have a few pics below on the clickie..........

Windrock/Coal Creek 2057179220047883113osCyYT_th

Back to top Go down
Mudcon
SSXSRider Member
Mudcon

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 2:00 pm

glad I dont need a map at the rock no more..lol north side is my favorite. we stayed at brimstone and was going to make a run down there saturday but couldnt get across none of the rivers on our route. matter of face woke up and the river was about in our cabins. hide missed not making it down there but it rained and rained and rained. the rivers didnt let up til sunday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudcon.com
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Hollon wrote:
we found a lot of unmarked trails and a lot of times the map was just wrong! just try to find trail 4 while sitting at the intersection of trail 3, the map shows it being about a half mile away when in fact they are side by side. unless we had 15 stupid people in our group that usually finds their way pretty well then I stand by my, MAPS SUCK comment.

I agree. 14 units with 30 people in them, can't be stupidity always. We had to U turn a bunch of times. The intersections were unmarked, the maps were misleading, so when you just go, you eventually find a sign that tells you something different from what you think you're on. That is what I get for following without paying attention when we go on rides like when Smith or Bad Ride leads.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 pm

Hollon wrote:

I was the same way the first time I went to Windrock four years ago. Now I don't really need a map.

The thing about Windrock is it is always changing. They are actively mining that place.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I was there!! On my sweet a** honda rancher hide hollon i never saw ya I did see gimpy but he was leaving the drag races before i could find him and say hey.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 am

I think a lot of the intersection problems are due to plain old vandals. Last time we were there in Feb, I saw a few signs simply gone!
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:35 am

Or there is people that swap the signs or turn them different directions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windrock/Coal Creek   Windrock/Coal Creek Empty

Back to top Go down

Windrock/Coal Creek
Page 1 of 1