SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fuel tank woes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
muddy-one
SSXSRider Member
muddy-one

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 am

Just a little warning for the few dummy's like me... beat Last night installing my new Top Dog tree kickers I did the unthinkable. While drilling the last hole. Getting tired and pushing way to hard the darn drill bit broke. Yep you guessed it, poked a hole in the rzr's fuel tank. nutkick Had a full tank of gas running all over my shop.
Now to make things worse Polaris only sell's the complete tank. hump Yep you have to buy the fuel pump and all. $400. is the cheapest I have found. Sad
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am

You can get a plastic welder and patch the hole. I tried plastic patch that did not last long. So I tried the welder and it was good to go.

I know this because you must have slipped into my garage and drill a hole in my tank too.... lol!
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 am

Yep you can weld up the plastic. Harbor freight sells a decent one for cheap. Or if you call around you should be able to find someone that will do it.. Farmers get livestock tanks and water tanks repaired here and there.

FWIW you might also want to look in the for sale section on RC.. A lot of guys that race them remove the stock tank and install a fuel cell in the bed.. Might be someone over there with a tank just sitting in the garage..
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:00 pm

I used this stuff on a chino four wheeler that the threads on the gas tank cap cracked from bad design. I put it on the inside of tank. So gas doesnt seem to break it down. Didnt leak after my son abused it for another year. Or I saw where one guy use a metal roofing screw with the rubber gasket.

http://www.newpig.com/us/null/PTY202

Back to top Go down
muddy-one
SSXSRider Member
muddy-one

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 am

I thought about it most of the day yesterday. I wonder if I used a stainless bolt with a rubber washer on each side of the tank would work?
I have seen where plastic welding is working for some, but can still be hit and miss on fuel tanks.
But then I keep thinking a new tank is the best fix. Would hate to be back in the woods and it start leaking.
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Not sure it it works for you, but on the 2009 S you could buy the international gas tank without the fuel pump - same gas tank as the american version just no fuel pump.

worth looking into, had a buddy that did something like that
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Plastic welding will do the job! trust me
Back to top Go down
muddy-one
SSXSRider Member
muddy-one

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Baditude wrote:
Not sure it it works for you, but on the 2009 S you could buy the international gas tank without the fuel pump - same gas tank as the american version just no fuel pump.

worth looking into, had a buddy that did something like that

Yea I had herd that before. Polaris got wise to it and changed the part number. Can no longer get it that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel tank woes  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank woes    Fuel tank woes  Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel tank woes
Page 1 of 1