SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jagged X vs XP4

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 5:07 am

Is there any difference in clutching and engine braking?
Thoughts on both?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 am

Mark could probably tell u about the engine braking since he went from a 2 seater xp to a jagged. I know its the same on my 4 as it is on a two seater. Honestly though i think its to much. My clutch kit reduces it some mainly at high speed and its much better imo.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am

What kind of clutch kit?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 5:31 am

I put this in mine. The 900's excessive (opinion) slow speed engine braking / jerking got on my nerves and caused me to spill beer when crawling. Much better now, coasting down from high speed I still have engine breaking but when the RPM's drop down to crawling speed, it releases completely. If the rear axle catches air at high speed, there is no load to keep it engaged and it releases. If I am coasting down a long incline and want engine breaking back, I just tap the throttle and it comes back on until the incline ends and the RPM's drop. If I am going down a muddy / wet incline with it engaged and start sliding the back tires, I just hit the brakes to release it and can coast.
http://teamaftermarket.com/parts-catalog/product/helix-atv-rzr-900-56-60f-non-ebs-530106
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 10:33 am

Mine is Dirty Dawg kit.. I had the same problems as jhoncho,, Jerky, would lock my back tires up constantly. Soon as you let off the gas doesn't matter if your running 40 it was like putting on the brakes.. Also when you jumped it the rear end would be locked up half the time when you landed causing you to slide.. Much better now.. Still have engine braking going down hills so your not riding your brakes but at higher speeds I can coast. Its also much smoother on trails when your off and on the throttle.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow, you guys never had Rhinos did you? I love the engine braking in my XP. I just change the front brakes for the first time. 2,100 miles.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Oh I really like engine braking, But I think the way it is now is 10x better.. I still don't have to ride my brakes its just much smoother now. And much less harsh when you let off the gas. Mine still stays engaged when crawling at low speed. The main difference is at high speed. But I mean they can set it up how ever you want pretty much. Like I said my biggest problem was the rear tires locking up constantly. In my 4 seater that would cause the back end to try and slide around the front end.. Not really a good thing on some trails. I also left to streaks in my yard where when the rear end landed off a jump with me off the throttle and brakes my tires locked up so hard it looked like I had did a burn out. I just couldn't see that being good for the axles or belt.. I'm pretty sure that's what bent one of my rear axles. I think that's why all the guys out west keep bending axles at the dunes to. Landing on the throttle or landing with the rears locked up by the engine would both cause a huge shock load on the axles..

When I was talking to Dale dirty dawg about it he said he had first hand seen a couple wrecks at the drags where xps letting off the throttle at the end caused the rears to lock and rolled the buggy.. That's almost what happened to me, but I mean I was going 30 not 75 lol. So all I did was slide a little sideways and tear up the grass. Who knows though clutching on a 13 Xp4 might have been different stock then the 2011 or 2012 xp 2 seaters
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Big-R wrote:
Wow, you guys never had Rhinos did you?  I love the engine braking in my XP.  I just change the front brakes for the first time.  2,100 miles.  
Nope, did the brakes wear quickly on Rhinos? I am sure my pads will wear faster now. But hopefully my CV's, splines and ring & pinions will last longer from less forward / reverse shock loading. Everything has a trade off.
From reading on the big forum, it seems everybody either loves or hates the 900's engine brake as equiped from the factory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jagged X vs XP4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jagged X vs XP4   Jagged X vs XP4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jagged X vs XP4
Page 1 of 1