SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skid plate bolts.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 3:18 pm

I had the front and rear skids off today to get to the spool/diff. for fluid changes. On the last one to go in, I snapped the head off the bolt. I was all, WTF . I was using a 1/4 ratchet, so I was not putting gobs of torque on the thing. Luckily this was on the front top, so I was able to just reach in and unscrew the remainder of the bolt. I went ahead and replaced both top fronts with 10mm headed bolts I had laying around, so they would match. LOL @ Chris C, I guess I'm slightly anal as well. Anyway, maybe make sure you have some spare bolts around when y'all are dealing with the skids.
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: bolts   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 5:36 pm

dawber i did the same thing replacing my plates.Working in a tool shop has perks ,my boss ordered my a box of 100 m-6 , 10 mm hex grade 8 bolts ,damn tuff to break them. work great! :D
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Lucky Coot on the grade 8 stuff!! The bolts I used were from my bucket of leftover car stereo install hardware.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 9:48 pm

i have kinda stripped my threaded parts in the frame WTF they still go in but just barely hold on haven't lost any YET so ill just keep puttin it off
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Did you guys ever think about replacing the screws with nut zerts ?? That's what I'm changing all of the "Sheet Metal" screws with. I to have some screws holding the skid plate that have the hole striped.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Thay do seem small and weak for what there holding.
i was thinking if thay ever striped , i would drill and tap
to a 1/4-20. 8 grade. thay make these with a 5/16 head.
witch is not any bigger than the 8mm head thats on it now.
and still fit in the beveled washer..... allright

And thats right DD all bolts must match..... cheers

Chris... :D
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 pm

good idea fox i have 1/4 20 steel and aluminum nut-serts at work clap just gotta drill a 25/32 hole so they slide right it( ive used them a time or 2 @ work Rolling Eyes )

or go the same route your talkin about chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skid plate bolts. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid plate bolts.   Skid plate bolts. Empty

Back to top Go down

Skid plate bolts.
Page 1 of 1