SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ridepate, how bout a little paint help!

Go down 
+13
Foxfire
Bobby D
Clayboy
Big-R
GunRunner
rcmass
shawnley1222
Admin
cubanb
ChrisC
rubicon05
moto92
wvyankee2
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

ridepate, how bout a little paint help! Empty
PostSubject: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 2:17 pm

I was going to PM you about this Jimbo but thought I would put it in a thread where others can access in the future. You did a great job painting your Rhino and I need the info to make mine look great. I got my old plastics off dissassembled and cleaned up. I am ready for sanding and prep to paint. I need to know what equipment such as sandpaper type (size), paint, etc. I will need and where to get it. Take me through the prep and painting for me so I can follow the path to your success. Any tips or tricks you learned along the way. study
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:11 pm

im in the process right now. i got some tips from pate too.

wet sand with 600
let dry and look for any shiney spots, scuff those with a scotch brite pad.
wet sanded again with 1000.
wipe down real good with laquer thinner, soak it!
wipe with a tack rag
now come the skill.... WARNING!!!!
do not use fusion paint. use the valspar from lowes the end result will look 100 times better.
do light tack coats at first until you get a good coverage, i think i did about three.
then its time for the magic to happen. start to spray off the plastic then in one full sweep cover the entire thing and then release. again from the other side back the other way. if you start and stop spray in the middle of the panel you will get those little spits of paint.
you can really soak it and watch the paint smooth out
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

here my hood in progress

ridepate, how bout a little paint help! 0928081513
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:28 pm

heres a finished bed side
can you say smoooooooth Chug

ridepate, how bout a little paint help! 0928081521
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 6:18 pm

looks good man.....i just bought an extra set of plastics and plan on starting on them this winter....great thread Yank
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 7:59 pm

I agree... GOOD THREAD !! clap

That's lookin' really good, moto !! perfect10

Let's see some more, guys !!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 8:09 pm

But how well does the paint hold up in the woods?
does it get the crap scratched out of it. on the first ride.... Cool

Last edited by ChrisC on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 8:35 pm

i had the same question, ridepate said its harder to scratch than the stock plastic

but while doing the hood i guess i didnt have a great seal and got some black over spray on the yellow. is there a good way to get it off with sanding and shootin it again?
Back to top Go down
cubanb

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 9:19 pm

looks great man, cant wait to see that thing next to your truck
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Yank,

Water-sand with 600, 800, 1k. or close grits, don't have to be exact as long as it's water-paper. While you are water sanding,drool a little dishwashing liquid on your paper. It will kill most, not all, of any wax. Plexus, or mold release that is in the pores of the plastic. You really just want to knock the shine off of it.
I tried to use Prep-Sol for a final wipe-down but found it contributed to fish-eyes for some reason, I used laquer-thinner for my final wipe followed by a tack-rag.

Here's where the skill comes in. Just lightly dust on your first coat, not too heavy, just a tack coat. If you are gonna have a fish-eye problem it will show now, probably. If at any point you see fish-eyes devoloping, STOP, you will not cover them, no matter how much you spray. Take laquer-thinner and wipe-off all the plastic, paint included, and start over, re-sand if you have to..

I found the Valspar needs to be "melted" when you spray it. If you spray it too light, you will get dry spots, you have to spray it close and fast with out running it. Lay you pieces out flat, don't spray them standing-up or you'll get runs. Follow the wetness, keep it wet as you spray without losing the "shine". It takes some practice and if you mess-up take thinner and wipe it off and start over, that's the beauty of it, if you mess-up you can try again. The hoods the most difficult.
Start at the top, keep it wet. I found some cans of the Valspar spray better than others. When you come across a good tip that atomizes good, keep it, swap it to a can that's not spraying so good.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:
But how well does the paint hold up in the woods?
does it get the crap scratched out of it. on the first ride.... Cool

It scratches no less than the plastic. If you think it will scratch-through to the stock-color, it won't. After going through some of the stuff we went through in Bell county, do I have some scratches?? yes, so do the guys with stock plastic. My hood was blue before I painted it, did I have any Blue showing after the thrashing we went through at Bell?? NO, none. It's some tough shit.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm

moto92 wrote:
i had the same question, ridepate said its harder to scratch than the stock plastic

but while doing the hood i guess i didnt have a great seal and got some black over spray on the yellow. is there a good way to get it off with sanding and shootin it again?

Scuff it and shoot it again bro!!!! Tape it without leaks this time!!!! I use the blue painters tape and 12-inch paper.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm

moto92 wrote:
here my hood in progress

ridepate, how bout a little paint help! 0928081513

Sweet man!!!! Looks good!!!!!! Looks good
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:40 pm

i no yall are not liking the fushion paint ..but i loved it..been on 2years with no problems
ridepate, how bout a little paint help! Cleanrhino001
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Mine still looks pretty good. when it go's to crap.
i will eather paint it. or buy camo plastic. and never worry
about scratches again.... cheers
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 pm

camo gets them too i got a few big ol chunks missin(due to pressure washer) its black underneath
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Wheelin wrote:
i no yall are not liking the fushion paint ..but i loved it..been on 2years with no problems
ridepate, how bout a little paint help! Cleanrhino001

Not knocking the Fusion Nick, I just couldn't get it to shine like the Valspar. It sprays dry. Yours does look good, no doubt. dance party
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 11:28 pm

yeah the fushion dont have a real glossy look..
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 11:32 pm

No sanding between coats Jimbo?

I have not made up my mind on which paint i'm going to use yet. depends what color I want. Not many to choose from.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:41 am

Marty , you already tired of the white.... Cool
What color you think you might go with now..... Wink

Chris.... cheers
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 am

wvyankee2 wrote:

depends how much work you are wanting to put into it really.
i did wet sand the yellow in mine between coats with 1000. mainly i had no choice sense i guess damn little knats are attacted to wet yellow paint. but i did knock down any orange peel it had while i was doing it. it will end up with a smoother finish in the end.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:18 pm

moto92 wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

depends how much work you are wanting to put into it really.
i did wet sand the yellow in mine between coats with 1000. mainly i had no choice sense i guess damn little knats are attacted to wet yellow paint. but i did knock down any orange peel it had while i was doing it. it will end up with a smoother finish in the end.

Yank, motos right, I sanded mine between coats to cut down on the orange peel, which you will most likley have due to having to load the paint on so heavy to keep it glossy. If you sand-through its no big deal, just keep painting.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Well, got them all sanded and ready for paint. Just waiting on a nice day. 63 and rainy the next couple days here. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm

ridepate wrote:

I tried to use Prep-Sol for a final wipe-down but found it contributed to fish-eyes for some reason, I used laquer-thinner for my final wipe followed by a tack-rag.

Yank - remember this - if your plastics are sittin somewhere that dust or something else can get on them - you may need to re-lacquer thinner them then tack rag again - just to be safe - would hate to painta couple of coats and find a "bug" somewhere.....
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Have not wiped them down yet. Just got em sanded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ridepate, how bout a little paint help!   ridepate, how bout a little paint help! Empty

Back to top Go down

ridepate, how bout a little paint help!
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next