SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice needed on the RZR (used)

Go down 
+7
Boliver
Gary
Big-R
wvyankee2
bush
Admin
AIRBORNE
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Advice needed on the RZR (used) Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Need some help guys....
My brother is a cop in WV........wants to buy a SxS. He is eyeing the RZR, but I have explained the air/dust issues. He is wanting to pay cash, and he could not afford to buy something then have ungodly amounts of repairs. The RZR he is looking at has only 200 miles and looks brand new. What are your opinions on this? Would you be willing to roll the dice on it being undamaged? I really need some advice on this. I told him that if he were to get it, then I would take preventive measures as soon as I got it home, before hitting any trails.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 pm

tell him to buy my rhino!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 pm

i would by used for the right price as long as you look it over good. i bought my rhino used.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Check the intake for dust with a white rag. And then put all the known fixes on it to be sure you dont have problems.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Chris,

I am still not sold on the new ones yet. If he wants reliability he should get a Rhino. You will here many people say different but you and I both know the truth. The 09 RZR might be better. Only time will tell.

2cents
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 12:13 am

I told him the Rhino is the way to go, but he really likes the RZR. I like them too, but I just want something to last when I pay that much money. I have a couple of lines in the water for him on a couple of used Rhinos......we will see.
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 am

LT I think I would ask about warranty on it if it still has any or could it be gotten.after trouble that Bobby an a few have had it seems like warranty was the best thing they had going for them.Bobby doesn't ride to tear his up so with out stirring some poo where its not intended,I'll leave that to ChrisC an Gunney lol
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 8:58 am

Well, I think I have convinced him on the Rhino. Got our eye on one that he likes. Just waiting to hear back from the guy....

I am also looking at a couple of members here trying to sell. We will see how it pans out.
Back to top Go down
Boliver
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Advice needed on the RZR   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:16 am

To tell if the engine has sucked in dust--You will need to run a compression check,the seller should be willing to let this be conducted..

You could wipe the intake all day,but if the seller has already wiped it out,it will tell you nothing--only way to go, compression check..Take a reading keep numbers--squrt oil in each plug hole if it reads higher rings are letting compression by,if it dosen't change valves are letting it by,this will give you the condition of rings,and valves..
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 am

I was very lucky to get the chance to drive 3 of the top brands this weekend for a real test drive on the trails. Rhino, RZR and Teryx. All I can say is go get the one you like! All are very trail capable and fun to drive.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 10:32 am

the dust issue does not happen to all or even most, you hear about it a lot cause the forums are where people go to seek answers, polaris extended a free 24 month after the original 6mo warranty on any dust related problems. 200 miles, he would have to ride in pure dust or sand with the intake tube or lid off to hurt it in that little of time. If the price is right he cant go wrong IMO. After my first ride i can tell you, a single cyl sxs will only give you half the fun of a rzr! Awesome power, 10 on the fun meter! woo hoo
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
r6realtor

r6realtor

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:42 am

GunRunner wrote:
the dust issue does not happen to all or even most, you hear about it a lot cause the forums are where people go to seek answers, polaris extended a free 24 month after the original 6mo warranty on any dust related problems. 200 miles, he would have to ride in pure dust or sand with the intake tube or lid off to hurt it in that little of time. If the price is right he cant go wrong IMO. After my first ride i can tell you, a single cyl sxs will only give you half the fun of a rzr! Awesome power, 10 on the fun meter! woo hoo

Gunrunner is right they did extend the warranty for 2 year for any dust related issues on bikes from sept 2008 and back the rest have had the updates. I can tell you that I have had no issues with mine so far(655miles) and I rode with a buddy on his this weekend so I could film and he has around 525miles on his and he beat the hell out of it, no lie either the gas pedal is to the floor the whole time or the brake pedal is, he never lets up on it and just literally beats it to death and never turns it off because he killed his battery by keeping his key on over night, so he was afraid to turn it off, it ran straight for 7 hours and he still hasn't changed the orginal oil in it. My other buddy just put a catvos 6" lift on his and just now changed the orginal oil in it after 785miles on his with no issues at all and Im telling you these guys kill there bikes.

On another note I now have both a 09 rhino and a 09 rzr and fun factor there is just no comparison the rzr blows away the rhino at half throttle but don't get me wrong I love the rhino for bringing the dogs along and just crusing but there is absolutely nothing that the rzr can't do that the rhino can and in somethings the rzr just does better becasue of the power but the rzr cant hold my dogs in the back and I can't put a bench seat and rear cage for carrying extra people. SO both have there negatives and positives and I would have a hard time choosing one over the other.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Like i said, dont drive a RZR or the only way you will be happy with a rhino is if you own both pot
Back to top Go down
Bobby D

Bobby D

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 12:58 pm

You should buy a Rhino because we are getting to many RZR owners and I like having something different Smiles
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 1:07 pm

The RZR no doubt is a fun machine. I just know I don't want him to have something that is going to be in the shop 6 months after he buys it. He does not have the time or money for that nonsense.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 pm

I guess the fact that is an early model and used makes me a little nervous. You are right.......200+ miles is nothing. I am sure I would like driving the RZR better, but for what I bought it for the Rhino will suit my needs (for now).
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
The RZR no doubt is a fun machine. I just know I don't want him to have something that is going to be in the shop 6 months after he buys it. He does not have the time or money for that nonsense.

Ah, you know we are all just throwing ideas out there to liven things up IMO only the guy paying the bill should decide what he buys, but Dependability is not a guaranteed thing on any of these so no matter what he buys he may or may not have some problems. If dependability is his utmost concern, might check into buying a honda big red, honda products are known to be much more dependable and trouble free than any Yamaha,Kawasaki or Polaris. Its like a big vacume, the more dependable they get the more fun has been sucked out of them. lol!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 2:33 pm

GunRunner wrote:
Airborne LT wrote:

Ah, you know we are all just throwing ideas out there to liven things up IMO only the guy paying the bill should decide what he buys, but Dependability is not a guaranteed thing on any of these so no matter what he buys he may or may not have some problems. If dependability is his utmost concern, might check into buying a honda big red, honda products are known to be much more dependable and trouble free than any Yamaha,Kawasaki or Polaris. Its like a big vacume, the more dependable they get the more fun has been sucked out of them. lol!

How true that is. Honda is reliable for sure. He is on a budget.......that being said, the Big Ugly is out for sure.

Not bashing the RZR.......will most likely own one myself sooner or later........just dont want him to get screwed that's all.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 pm

If I were a bettin man, I would bet before the next deployment is over in 2011, I will have a RZR sitting in my fleet.......if they cure the air filter problem for sure. I want to see how yours holds up with your preventive maintenance. Maybe you can teach me how to get the most life out of a Po Po.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed on the RZR (used)   Advice needed on the RZR (used) Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed on the RZR (used)
Page 1 of 1