SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Generator noise

Go down 
+2
Last Chance Rhino
AIRBORNE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:28 am

I was just wondering if you guys had any idea on how to cut down generator noise. I thought about building a wooden three-sided box and leaving the exhaust side open and pointing it away from my trailer. I ran mine the other day and it was louder than I had hoped. Anyone else ever run into this problem?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Last Chance Rhino
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 am

I am sure a box would help some, just don't restrict the air flow too much as it is air cooled, I assume. Most likely it is not too much that can be done other than move it farther away or get a quieter generator like some of the Hondas. As a side note, I know this does not apply in your case, not too long ago, I worked on a situation where a person put a generator inside a small storage type building to secure the generator, fired it up, and ended up burning down the building. Sid.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Last Chance Rhino wrote:
I am sure a box would help some, just don't restrict the air flow too much as it is air cooled, I assume. Most likely it is not too much that can be done other than move it farther away or get a quieter generator like some of the Hondas. As a side note, I know this does not apply in your case, not too long ago, I worked on a situation where a person put a generator inside a small storage type building to secure the generator, fired it up, and ended up burning down the building. Sid.

It is a Honda engine on the generator, but not one of those super quiet (and SUPER expensive). The noise is tolerable, but I would like to see if I could mess with it and get it quieter. I have a 50' extension cord. I could run it under my truck and move the generator out in front of my truck. The truck could help block the noise too I guess. I thought about the other day, but I did not do it. The main thing is that I had to turn the TV up loud to be able to hear it. The tv is going to be more for my little girl when we go camping and put her down for naps or down for the night. I will most likely be out around the fire.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 1:58 pm

You can move it away as far as possible. I have seen people do the three sided box and it made a big difference. I have put mine in the bed of the truck and moved it away from the trailer and had a decent reduction of sound doing that too.
Back to top Go down
Triple J

Triple J

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Go to your local exhaust shop and have them make an up tube for the exhaust. Make it removeable or will be a pain to move.

Run the tube up above the camper, you'll be surprised on how much quieter it will be. Another option is to buy a better muffler.

I bit the bullet and bought one of those high priced quiet Honda genererators, best thing I ever did. I can sit it right behind the camper and hardly hear it.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

once the big dogs moved on, i took their house to the farm and made a few modifications and made a powerhouse. Its so quiet in the front of the cabin i have to look and hope i left a light on to tell if its running.

Bite the bullet and buy you a honda 2000 eu. you should have snagged that one a few weeks ago

until then, you can make a sided box with hinges (fold flat for transport) get you a top. a long heavy duty gauge extension cord. dont use the cheap walmart garden cords.

Generator noise 207559

Generator noise 207558
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 pm

I don't have the money to spend on a new generator, so I need to modify the one I have (or at least how I use it). I bought a 10ga 50' cord from Lowes when I wired my trailer. I also have about 4-6' slack out the bottom of my trailer from my breaker box. The box with hinges was an idea I had way before I ever came back from Afghanistan.........just never have gotten around to building it. I stay very busy every day at work and on the weekends I try to get out and travel. It does not leave me much time to get caught up on the grass, the house, laundry, small projects, etc. I did get my bed built in the trailer on Saturday (finally). I got to try it Sunday night and it works good. I am using an air mattress for now, but hopefully when I get some extra cash I will put in a regular cheap mattress. The generator will be something I will just have to deal with until I get the box built. I have some wood sitting right outside the garage. I may try to do it Easter weekend.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Lets see some pics of how you did the bed?

FYI when I built mine I had the mattresses custom made for an exact fit and they cost right at $300
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Pics of the bed will have to wait. It is dark now. I have been out cleaning up this weekend's mess for the last 4 hours. The King Quad and Rhino are clean now though. I have a mattress here in the spare bedroom I can use if I need to. We may be doing some bed swapping soon so that may just be the ticket.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 pm

For a TV just use an inverter and 12V Battery. You can find the inverter/powerpack combo's fairly cheap on ebay occassionally. If you have a LCD TV it only pulls 60 watts or so for a 20".

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-300EP-Powerpack-300-watt-Compressor/dp/B000TKBLHM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1239127542&sr=8-4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Generator noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generator noise   Generator noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Generator noise
Page 1 of 1