SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dust in throttle body

Go down 
+11
S
Big-R
ChrisC
ridepate
Foxfire
4x4pac
GunRunner
wvyankee2
bush
Mud-and-Guts
AIRBORNE
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Dust in throttle body Empty
PostSubject: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Well, I went and pulled my air filter today. I was not happy to find that my throttle body had some dust residue. I have only done one ride (which was incredibly dusty) with the UNI filter in. I decided to add more filter spray and I will see if that helps. As a back-up I am going to carry my stock filter with a pantyhose legging over it. I sure hope this is not a problem that is going to be recurring. I check the filter after every ride and I sure thought the UNI would do a better job of filtering. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:33 pm

I have never had any trouble out of the uni but I also use a lot of oil in mine(the same as a stock filter). I have seen dust with a K&N though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 pm

i say stick with the stock filter. mine had 1700 miles and no dust in the throttle body.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Check with Dodds on the aftermarket filter system he has. Tools
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah, I saw Dodd's setup. It was sweet. I would like to know where he got it. The other aftermarket ones seem a little pricey but he told me his was around 250.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:39 pm

mud-and-guts wrote:
I have never had any trouble out of the uni but I also use a lot of oil in mine(the same as a stock filter). I have seen dust with a K&N though.

I have never owned an 800 though that thing could be sucking some major air. lol!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Well, there was a guy over on RZR Forums that swears the UNI is not enough filter due to the close proximity of the airbox to the engine.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
Yeah, I saw Dodd's setup. It was sweet. I would like to know where he got it. The other aftermarket ones seem a little pricey but he told me his was around 250.

Here ya go LT. allright

https://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/sidexside-related-for-sale-f7/rzr-air-box-kit-t4700.htm
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:48 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
I check the filter after every ride and I sure thought the UNI would do a better job of filtering. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't think the UNI would do better at filtering none of the aftermarket filters do, they are more for performance by allowing more flow.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:54 pm

I just can't see how a paper filter will outfilter a foam filter. scratch
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 pm

Airborne LT wrote:

It comes down to micron size particles it lets thru. UNI has tested well in all articles i've read about them. I've been running them in the Rhino for 1500 miles now with no issue. Did you oil both sides of the filter?
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Airborne LT wrote:

So the po-pos are sending paper filters from the factory? Ain't that what Suzuki did when they had all the engine troubles. I would use the UNI filter and maybe be a little more generous with the oil.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Suzuki did send a paper filter. I replaced the factory one on both of my Kings with a K&N with prefilter.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

I am running the K&N with pre-filter on my Raptor 700 it seems to be a good setup but you have to clean it more often than a foam filter setup.

On my rhino I am still stock for now, but I have been talking with pro-design and I believe they have decided to build a pro-design kit for the 450. I like the clamp on filter better than the stock Rhino style where you are depending on the lid to hold it in place.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 pm

The new stock filter will out perform a uni or KN all day long, Just look at bushs write up he did on WVSXSR, his stock filter that came in his 09 even after being used over 1500 miles and only blown out with a air hose had not let a single speck of dust in the TB. Unis and KNs have ruined more rzr motors than can be counted. Its not hard to understand how, they are sold as performance filters, the performance comes from flowing more air, more air lets in dirt. You can spend 500 bucks on a fancy aftermarket setup but it is only as good as the filter element it has, many of them have very good filters but none of them will do any better than the new 09 stock setup. The only addition to the stock setup that is needed to make it better is to add a outerware pre filter over the element. Lt, pitch that uni before it ruins your motor. I have researched this issue and followed it for over a year on several forums and i have not heard of a single 09 rzr running the new stock setup that has had a dirt issue, but read plenty of them running uni, kn, even the dfr bobby and the irishman ran let dirt in. Stock is the way to go in this case.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 pm

I agree I believe a paper filter will filter better than foam and with a lot less maintenance, but personally I do not like the thought of a paper filter. Reason being I have been known to get water in my air-box from time to time which will destroy a paper filter quick.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:21 pm

mud-and-guts wrote:
I agree I believe a paper filter will filter better than foam and with a lot less maintenance, but personally I do not like the thought of a paper filter. Reason being I have been known to get water in my air-box from time to time which will destroy a paper filter quick.

The rzr airbox is sealed good, but just in case the outerware prefilter i use is water resistant.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Gunny, in your opinion will the pantyhose over the factory filter help? Or better yet.......what's the part number to the Outerwears that will fit the RZR stock filter?
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm

I dont know about pantyhose on a filter, guess it might help but i know these work! and this one will repel water too.
http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=911387

Last edited by GunRunner on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:41 pm

GunRunner wrote:
The new stock filter will out perform a uni or KN all day long, Just look at bushs write up he did on WVSXSR, his stock filter that came in his 09 even after being used over 1500 miles and only blown out with a air hose had not let a single speck of dust in the TB. Unis and KNs have ruined more rzr motors than can be counted. Its not hard to understand how, they are sold as performance filters, the performance comes from flowing more air, more air lets in dirt. You can spend 500 bucks on a fancy aftermarket setup but it is only as good as the filter element it has, many of them have very good filters but none of them will do any better than the new 09 stock setup. The only addition to the stock setup that is needed to make it better is to add a outerware pre filter over the element. Lt, pitch that uni before it ruins your motor. I have researched this issue and followed it for over a year on several forums and i have not heard of a single 09 rzr running the new stock setup that has had a dirt issue, but read plenty of them running uni, kn, even the dfr bobby and the irishman ran let dirt in. Stock is the way to go in this case.

I am not quit sure were you got all your info from but, just to set the record straight. I work on all brands of sxs. If you think you can run a stock filter and do better than a k&n or uni, just come ride with us for a week and you will more than likely be getting some engine work done. I have A LOT of band new units come in the shop, most don't even have 5 miles on them yet. One of the first things we do is hit the trash can with the stock filter. This is for any brand sxs. We are now working on a new intake system that will be out very soon for the teryx, rhino and rxr should follow short there after. Our new system uses a K&N filter.

Now in the last 3 weeks we have done some testing on this system. We took the filter, cleaned it, oiled it good and installed it. We have road in very very dusty conditions for 3 weekends straight. Just took the filter out and it almost looks as good as it did when we put it in. We also put a small amount of white grease at the throttle body intake. Absolutely no dirt dust or debris. Will let you rzr owners know as soon as we get the system done for your ride. I will be you will be very happy with the improved air flow and absolutely no dust in your engine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:52 pm

4x4pac wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

I am not quit sure were you got all your info from but, just to set the record straight. I work on all brands of sxs. If you think you can run a stock filter and do better than a k&n or uni, just come ride with us for a week and you will more than likely be getting some engine work done. I have A LOT of band new units come in the shop, most don't even have 5 miles on them yet. One of the first things we do is hit the trash can with the stock filter. This is for any brand sxs. We are now working on a new intake system that will be out very soon for the teryx, rhino and rxr should follow short there after. Our new system uses a K&N filter.

Now in the last 3 weeks we have done some testing on this system. We took the filter, cleaned it, oiled it good and installed it. We have road in very very dusty conditions for 3 weekends straight. Just took the filter out and it almost looks as good as it did when we put it in. We also put a small amount of white grease at the throttle body intake. Absolutely no dirt dust or debris. Will let you rzr owners know as soon as we get the system done for your ride. I will be you will be very happy with the improved air flow and absolutely no dust in your engine.

My info comes from a years research on many forums on the RZR and its filtration issues of the 08 models and using the stock filter in my 09 & 10 rzr's Ive had many vehicles i ran uni and KN in over the years, for performance reasons. They are good for performance but not for being the best filtration. Your tests on anything but a rzr have no relevance to this subject. The research has already been done by hundreds of people and the results posted. NO AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE FILTER, will keep dirt out of the motor better than the new stock filter. And if you tell someone otherwise without doing the research on this subject you do them a disservice because it will cause there motor harm. The rzr is not like a rhino or most other utvs, the 800 motor pulls a lot of air and the airbox is very close to the motor and if you dont have the best filtration you can get you will get dirt in the motor. So before you set the record straight, do the research and you will see your unis and kns are trash in a rzr. My posts ONLY relate to there use as a replacement in a stock RZR airbox and nothing else.

Last edited by GunRunner on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Just to throw 2cents into the ring here.....ran a Uni on the Prowler before I did the big bore kit ....was much better than the stock Cat foam filter that had let in A LOT of dust. The "K&N" and "Outer Wear" that I have on the Speedworx's billet intake works perfectly...I wipe the intake tube out with a Clean White "T" shirt every time I remove the filter for cleaning and the "T" comes out as clean as it went in......I heard people say that the K&N was not worth a --ck, but that is incorrect.......clean, clean, clean....and the dust where I ride is just about unbearable.

Again, just 2cents
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Foxfire wrote:
Just to throw 2cents into the ring here.....ran a Uni on the Prowler before I did the big bore kit ....was much better than the stock Cat foam filter that had let in A LOT of dust. The "K&N" and "Outer Wear" that I have on the Speedworx's billet intake works perfectly...I wipe the intake tube out with a Clean White "T" shirt every time I remove the filter for cleaning and the "T" comes out as clean as it went in......I heard people say that the K&N was not worth a --ck, but that is incorrect.......clean, clean, clean....and the dust where I ride is just about unbearable.

Again, just 2cents

In your case it could be, the single cyl motors do not draw air like a rzr 800 does, My posts deal ONLY with the RZR and nothing else.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 pm

i get my info from from riding. i ran the stock filter for 1700 miles and no dust, so why fix what works.

Dust in throttle body Th_100_0940

Dust in throttle body Th_100_0941
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 11:29 pm

GunRunner wrote:
4x4pac wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

My info comes from a years research on many forums on the RZR and its filtration issues of the 08 models and using the stock filter in my 09 & 10 rzr's Ive had many vehicles i ran uni and KN in over the years, for performance reasons. They are good for performance but not for being the best filtration. Your tests on anything but a rzr have no relevance to this subject. The research has already been done by hundreds of people and the results posted. NO AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE FILTER, will keep dirt out of the motor better than the new stock filter. And if you tell someone otherwise without doing the research on this subject you do them a disservice because it will cause there motor harm. The rzr is not like a rhino or most other utvs, the 800 motor pulls a lot of air and the airbox is very close to the motor and if you dont have the best filtration you can get you will get dirt in the motor. So before you set the record straight, do the research and you will see your unis and kns are trash in a rzr. My posts ONLY relate to there use as a replacement in a stock RZR airbox and nothing else.

GunRunner. I dont want to get into a pissing match about air filters. But get your fact straight my friend. The teryx pulls just as must air as the rzr and the stock filter is closer to the injectors!! If this system works on a teryx and can take all the suction the rex engine pulls against a filter I know it will work for a rzr! I know you might think because you own a rzr that it is the biggest and badest thing around, dont fool your self. My intake system is on rex's with the 840 kits ion them. Your rzr could not come close to touching one and I know they pull WAY more air than your rzr. Now when you get 20+ years of doning nothing but working on atv's, motorcycles, and now utvs, including building custom parts, come back and talk to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dust in throttle body   Dust in throttle body Empty

Back to top Go down

Dust in throttle body
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next