SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you ever wish it was bigger?

Go down 
+7
Woodtick
AIRBORNE
roamerr
2Slow4U
grizzlyrhino
GunRunner
Stench
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Do you ever wish it was bigger? Empty
PostSubject: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Do you ever wish your SXS was bigger? By that do you have enough storage to suit you? Do you RZR owners ever wish you could carry more?

Do you ever wish it was smaller? Wish you had an ATV-size machine? Most of my riding buddies now have ATV's. Have you changed your riding area or style because of your machine's size?

Forgive my many questions. I ride a huge ATV (TRV) and sometimes I have had issues going through tight trails. Cat's don't turn well anyway! But I am a bit of a "storage nut" and have loved adding boxes to my machines over the years. As I try to figure out how to jump in the SXS world, I just wonder how have wrestled with these issues?

Mr's Stench really likes the Teryx and it seems to be a decent middle ground. I like the idea of a RZR (small enough to fit on ATV trails) but man those full size Rangers look nice....could but lots of stuff in that bed!! LOL!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Just to put things in perspective of the 700+ members here only a handful have the teryx. Im not bashing them but i and many more have witnessed there ability's on the trails not being in the same class as the rhino or polaris rzr. If your wife likes it being the major buying reason then i guess you will buy one but if having a machine that will take you where you want to go on the trails then i would reconsider the choice. For size, carrying and trail riding ability the Rhino is hands down more capable. The rzr doesnt have as much bed capacity but will out shine all the others on the trails. The rangers are big, and can carry more than all the others and will go everywhere a teryx will and then some.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
grizzlyrhino

grizzlyrhino

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm

After riding the 450 I don't believe I would really want anything wider,taller, etc.. It seems to be just right and fits on the trails nice. I can pack everything I want to take and then some. Never seems like I need more. Great power (for a lil 421), great ground clearance, stability, etc..... Don't have an urge to get anything else. To me the Rhino is perfect for MY needs. It goes anywhere a Kawi will go and then some. I just realized there are not that many Kawi's here as well?????????
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm

grizzlyrhino wrote:
After riding the 450 I don't believe I would really want anything wider,taller, etc.. It seems to be just right and fits on the trails nice. I can pack everything I want to take and then some. Never seems like I need more. Great power (for a lil 421), great ground clearance, stability, etc..... Don't have an urge to get anything else. To me the Rhino is perfect for MY needs. It goes anywhere a Kawi will go and then some. I just realized there are not that many Kawi's here as well?????????

I'd also be willing to put the reliability of the Rhino 450 up against any SxS out there, if that's a concern. Hot rod, it isn't -- affordable, reliable fun, it is...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

I would personally prefer a 50" wide Rzr. I guess it depends on where you ride. I like to explore and find SxS's too wide and tall. The stock 50" Rzr will go more places when I'm out bushwackin'. If I am riding known trails then size would not matter since I could avoid the trails that are too narrow or not tall enough...
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 pm

I seem to always have enough room in the RZR to carry what I need. However, I don't carry a saw and spare tire like alot of guys. If I was going to be packing everything under the sun, I would bring my Rhino on that ride.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 3:19 pm

The real beauty of a thread like this are the CHOICES! It all comes down to a Ford / Chevy / Dodge sort of thing! It's whatever YOU like best. Don't let someone else select YOUR ride for YOU. I own a Rhino and love it. It suits MY needs just fine. If I never did anything but trail ride, I'd have a RZR. But I hunt, haul firewood, saws, and Lord only knows what else has been in that thing. The reason I went to a SXS is that my wife and I rode double on a Honda Foreman 450S for 10 years. We got the crap scared out of us on a regular basis the older we got. We were some of the lucky ones that never had a bad roll over or accident. Bu it was only a matter of time. My Rhino goes over the same trails that we used to go on the Honda and it does it with a great deal more comfort, and more important, MORE SAFETY. Lastly, let me say that opinions are a lot like a$$holes! We all have one, and everybody's else's except mine stink! Do you ever wish it was bigger? 13435 Do you ever wish it was bigger? 13435 I love my Rhino and wouldn't trade it for anything else I've seen to date.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm very happy with my Rhino's capabilitys. Has always hauled everything I wanted to take, and got me to where I was going, and back. In my 2000 miles of riding in it, I have only once had to cut a tree down to get through a trail. And it was a very tight ATV trail. drive
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:32 pm

I ask most all the same question when I was first looking at side x sides. It is a big chose with a big price tag. Picking the right one for you is a big deal.

In my research back in 07/08 I felt the rhino was the car for me. I was looking at something to have at my lake house. I need something that could haul coolers, fire wood and still have fun on the trail. The Rhino was perfect. I really did not even consider the RZR. and the Teryx and Arctic Cat were way to wide for the woods. Well it is funny how things change once I road the trails with these wide machines.

Now, I have bought an RZR. My needs/wants have changed. I still need the rhino for lake house. However, I wanted an RZR for my trail rides. The rhino did everything I needed but I did push it to its limit many times. My RZR goes all the same places the rhino did with less effort.

Now there is one problem here. My needs/wants requires two different machines. I know that is not practical for everyone. So you have to find out what is important to you.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. Gunny you hit the nail on the head...makes me think hard when I see a lot of folks who ride similar trails as I currently ride and most either ride Rhino's or RZR's, many of which have changed from the Rhino to the RZR. Not disrespecting anybody's choices at all, just trying to make my own and hoping to learn from your positive and negative experiences. Thanks for to all for your patience and info!

I've never had a SXS, so I don't know what I'm missing. I've always used a little trailer and an ATV to pull my firewood,etc. I wish I could afford two, but not going to happen anytime soon! LOL! Trying to find that perfect balance without making an expensive mistake.

At any rate, I've really enjoyed watching the videos, searching the forums here. Plan on going orange once I can check the "have a SXS" box!
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 am

I had ATVs all my life, than bought an 08 Rhino 700 and loved it...the problem was all my buddies still rode ATVs and i didn't travel to the Brimstone and Windrock like parks to ride it much. My trails around Southern IN are all ATV trails. I ended up going back to an ATV for the time being.
I will definitely buy another SxS in the future, but i'm ok with my ATV for now again:(
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 am

rubicon05 wrote:
I had ATVs all my life, than bought an 08 Rhino 700 and loved it...the problem was all my buddies still rode ATVs and i didn't travel to the Brimstone and Windrock like parks to ride it much. My trails around Southern IN are all ATV trails. I ended up going back to an ATV for the time being.
I will definitely buy another SxS in the future, but i'm ok with my ATV for now again:(

Would a RZR have solved this problem, or not really?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 am

I love both my machines. For hunting and exploring, I like the Rhino. For ripping it up on the trails and being silly, I bring the RZR. It is a tough decision when you are dropping 10k+ on a machine. If you are not going to get into anything extreme, the Rhino to me is a perfect choice. If you are someone who likes to go faster and climb big hills.......do yourself a favor and buy the RZR.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:19 am

I totally understand rubicon05's comments. I tend to ride my Can-am alot more than the Rhino. I have alot of friends nearby that ride ATV's and I really enjoy going out on weekends with them and exploring. When I say exploring I mean "bushwacking". Recently I have been the leader and often end up on trails that I really should not be on due to width or off camber. No way would I even attempt those spots on the Rhino.

Each trip I make to WV I look at the Rhino but realize if I take it I will need to make some compromises on where I go. That makes me load up the Can-am and leave the Rhino sitting. A rzr would not solve this since it would have similar issues to the Rhino. I enjoy the SxS but enjoy the freedom an ATV offers. Also the reality is that the group I normally ride with are ATV'rs and not SxS'rs.

With that said I still really enjoy the Rhino. This last weekend I towed the kids 50 miles on sleds behind the Rhino. I loaded up the 4 seats and we went crusing in the snow. When I have the chance to take some of my family riding the Rhino is always the choice. My only other option would be a 4 seat Rzr since the moment I think of selling the Rhino I end up really enjoying and using the 4 seat conversion...

I guess my point is to try to figure out what you need before you buy. As you can see from the multiple purchases on this forum many of us are still trying to figure that out. scratch
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 am

Stench wrote:
rubicon05 wrote:

Would a RZR have solved this problem, or not really?

it was never really too much of a width problem, i see to have more of height problem with clearing tree's, etc. I RZR may have solved a little bit of it, but i just had to hard of a time parting with another $10-$13K AGAIN. I love to ride, always have and always will, but honestly, with a young family, i don't get to ride enough to part with that kind of cash.....and not thinking i should be spending it elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 am

rubicon05 wrote:

it was never really too much of a width problem, i see to have more of height problem with clearing tree's, etc. I RZR may have solved a little bit of it, but i just had to hard of a time parting with another $10-$13K AGAIN. I love to ride, always have and always will, but honestly, with a young family, i don't get to ride enough to part with that kind of cash.....and not thinking i should be spending it elsewhere.

Been there, done that. I've sold several ATV's over the years when my boys were young and I just didn't get to ride that much. When I did ride, I felt guilty! My oldest got a go cart when he was 5 and did so well that I got him a LT80 when he was 9- he's had a quad ever since and it's been a nice way to spend time with my son. He's almost 18 now and wants my Arctic Cat so he can take his girlfriend along! One of the reasons why I'm so interested in a SXS is because my youngest has Asperger's (mild autism) and has never been able to drive on his own. At least this way I can ride with him also. I'm torn between being able to ride with my friends who still have ATV's and being able to accommodate my youngest son. He doesn't do real well with mud being splashed on him! He jumped off of my TRV when I was going thru a mud hole...gonna have to have 4 points on that boy!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:42 am

I say go for the SxS. No way to safely ride with a passenger on an ATV, IMO. That is the main reason I bought the Rhino. I do not like the idea of trying to drive and hold on to a kid at the same time. You belt them in a SxS and you go wherever you want. Of course, this is only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am

I'm with LT, if you want to take your boy, get a SxS in this case. When my family gets older and bigger, i will be riding with them, assuming they want to, more and more and less with my buddies i'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Sorry, I don't guess I was clear..I am definitely going to get a SXS, just having problems on deciding between a big or little. I'm leaning towards the RZR right now (found some holdover 2009 at a great price), but the packrat in me pines for a real cargo bed!

I'm the idiot that carries enough stuff (MRE's, etc) to survive for a day or two if I get stranded!
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Stench wrote:
Sorry, I don't guess I was clear..I am definitely going to get a SXS, just having problems on deciding between a big or little. I'm leaning towards the RZR right now (found some holdover 2009 at a great price), but the packrat in me pines for a real cargo bed!

I'm the idiot that carries enough stuff (MRE's, etc) to survive for a day or two if I get stranded!

If you ride alone, the RZR has more than enough room. You can put quite a bit in the floorboard on the passenger side. In my case, it's my beer cooler! thatsright
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 3:43 pm

yeah tho,but if you like carrying enough for a day or 2 go for the rhino...............besides if you have a bunch of stuff in the floorboard and go through a creek who would want to have to be moving all that stuff around.................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you ever wish it was bigger?   Do you ever wish it was bigger? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you ever wish it was bigger?
Page 1 of 1