SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brake Question????

Go down 
+2
Foxfire
matt2558
6 posters
AuthorMessage
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-11-12

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I have a 2009 sport edition and I am wondering if a grinding noise is normal? I know there is the parking brake disc like right behind the seats, but when I am rolling along it almost sounds like the brakes are constantly touching. I have never messed with the brakes so I have no idea where to start, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced that sound and if so if it was normal or if I have a pad rubbing because it is too tight.... No
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Have you been mud lately? If you are not applying the brakes, then I wouldn't think the sound you are hearing is brake related. BUT.....I do not own a Rhino. I'm sure pep's will chime in soon Exclamation
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 5:39 pm

i have a 04 rhino different brake system but if i am moving good and slam the brakes it sounds like the machine is coming apart!! on slow downhills also , probaly normal rhino the brakes are noisiy as hell ... pate ,chime in on this one PLEASE!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Dont know how many miles you have on, but you may need new pads. You will get loud grinding when it's metal to metal. Also, you may have a small grain of rock in the caliper. Try taking a water hose and flushing the hell out of the calipers. I have seen a lot of small grit come out of them even after you think its clean.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Brother, that rear brake (park brake) will make noise like that almost constantly. No need for concern. Now, if you were hitting the brakes and hearing something like what I heard on my brother's 660 I would be concerned.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 am

Sounds good, I just wanted to make sure. Foxfire, I don't go through a lot of mud, if anything I have gone through a few streams and creeks, but not really any mud, especially anything deep. Where I have been riding there is a lot of dust though. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Also how hard is it to change out the pads? Is there somewhere that shows the process on how to do it?
Back to top Go down
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 am

i just did mine 2 weeks ago front and back rhino had 350 miles on it. took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the front trying to figure it out as i went. then when i did the back it only took 30 to 45 minutes. the back went alot smoother once i figured it out but wasnt really that hard but a c clamp will help to press the calipers back down. a easy way to tell if your brakes are getting low is look at how much brake fluid is showing if it looks low you need to check the brakes for sure. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 8:56 am

matt2558 wrote:
Sounds good, I just wanted to make sure. Foxfire, I don't go through a lot of mud, if anything I have gone through a few streams and creeks, but not really any mud, especially anything deep. Where I have been riding there is a lot of dust though. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Also how hard is it to change out the pads? Is there somewhere that shows the process on how to do it?

Your normal brake pads are not difficult to change at all. Remove two bolts and the caliper will slide right off the rotor. Remove two slide pins with a medium size allen wrench and the pads will fall right out. If you do change your pads out, remember to use some anti-seize on the slide pins.

The parking brake should not need new pads unless you have driven it a long way with the brake set and ruined the pads.
Back to top Go down
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 am

Sounds good, I will check it all out and see what I find. I have a feeling it is in fact the park brake because that is the area it comes from. I may have to look a little closer at the brakes before I change them, I am a beginner to some of this stuff.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 am

If it sounds like the park brake caliper, 99% chance that is what it is. It used to bother me, but I got used to it after awhile.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Matt, when you go riding with Ridepate next month. Pick his brain about your brakes. He will be glad to go over it all with you about how to change them, etc...
Back to top Go down
matt2558
SSXSRider Member
matt2558

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 am

Sounds good thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brake Question???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Question????   Brake Question???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake Question????
Page 1 of 1