SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

windshields

Go down 
+8
Foxfire
pit dog
Rhino Rob
moto92
2Slow4U
Mud-and-Guts
wvyankee2
jasonch
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jasonch

jasonch

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-07-14

windshields Empty
PostSubject: windshields   windshields EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 1:36 pm

just been looking at some. what is your alls experience with them. ive read that there is some restricted air flow with them. im really wanting a half, but wondered if it would block enough air for me in the winter. thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 pm

1/2 windshields do a great job in the winter. I prefer them. Only problem is when you run into a snow or cold rain. You are in trouble then. roflmao

The do block enough air IMO.
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm

i could probably do a half, then get a soft one for rain or cut a piece to put on in the winter that will lay even with the half windshield. thanks for weighting in on this.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

The Half works great summer and winter... It not only blocks some wind but it blocks splashed water and mud to an extent. I also have the top half from EMP for the really cold days and driving my babies around...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:19 pm

thanks for the info, i like the idea of having the top half somewhere. would come in handy during the winter or deer season
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 pm

I carry one of the cheap strap-on plastic ones to go over my 1/2, just in case I get caught in a downpour. I've got the matching rear one, also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 pm

been looking at those on ebay for the same exact thing
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 pm

i had a vented full one and hated it, made the cab 100 degrees so i took it off. then when i wanted one once the weather turned cold i took the jigsaw and cut it in half. blocks just enough and still vents enough.
definately go with a half shield
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 pm

go with the folding windshield, best of both windshield worlds.

Had the full piece, liked it alot during winter, not as well during the warmer months due to the inconvenience of taking it on and off.

bought a folding windshield and will put it on when the cooler weather arrives and hunting season Wink
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 pm

thanks for the advice guys. wasnt wanting to spend a ton, i kinda of like not having one this time of year
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 am

there is a guy up in ky that sells some windshields on ebay. offers a one year guarantee
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 am

Rhino Rob wrote:
there is a guy up in ky that sells some windshields on ebay. offers a one year guarantee

cool, i will check into it. thanks
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:03 pm

jasonch wrote:
Rhino Rob wrote:

cool, i will check into it. thanks

This is the seller that Rob is talking about -- Dash Customs -- that's where I got mine:

http://shop.ebay.com/dashcustoms/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:03 pm

thank you for posting that for me! when i get the rhino back i will try and order one. is it lipped at the top?
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm

get up with motel ,makes them. 1/2 -3/4 or full tented or half tinted 80-100-120 plus shipping. nice quality - son-lan@global.net
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:03 am

pit dog wrote:
get up with motel ,makes them. 1/2 -3/4 or full tented or half tinted 80-100-120 plus shipping. nice quality - son-lan@global.net

Any better contact info...... Question Or is email the only way Question
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Foxfire wrote:
pit dog wrote:

Any better contact info...... Question Or is email the only way Question

He is a member at Teryx Forums.net. You can email him or contact by PM over there. I know it seems like alot of folks like his windshields.
Back to top Go down
Broncoparts

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-08-06

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 am

Hey KentT, Are you happy with your windshield from Dash customs? I've got one and not very happy cause it's so thin. Wish I'd spent more and got the J-strong folding windshield.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm satisfied so far. What you're complaint with the "thin-ness?" Does it vibrate too much to suit you?

Mine is braced against that spare tire mount, plus I replaced the top mounts (those rubber covered hose clamps) with universal plastic roll-bar clamps. Mine doesn't really vibrate much at all now.

If money were no object, I'd like one of those "swing out" windshields that the dealers sell, made by some Canadian company. But, i couldn't see chopping on a $300 windshield just to make it clear my spare tire mount...
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
go with the folding windshield, best of both windshield worlds.

Had the full piece, liked it alot during winter, not as well during the warmer months due to the inconvenience of taking it on and off.

bought a folding windshield and will put it on when the cooler weather arrives and hunting season Wink

I agree.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 pm

The only downfall with the dashcustoms, it is Lexan, but it does scratch very easyly. All Lexan is not the same. Be very mindful when washing or general wiping on the trail. Ole-Dragon had the coolest way I've ever seen to clean a dusty windshield on the trail. Just and old-school hand-held duster. Kinda hard to explain, but you've seen one.

Honestly, and just my opinion, the factory Yamaha half is the best money can buy, yes, it is expensive, but Mikes (Z06-08)has had one since 06, when his machine was new. I've tried both the D/C and EMP, which I have now. Mikes Factory Yamaha half has held-up way better than both, and I'm very careful.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 pm

ridepate wrote:
The only downfall with the dashcustoms, it is Lexan, but it does scratch very easyly. All Lexan is not the same. Be very mindful when washing or general wiping on the trail. Ole-Dragon had the coolest way I've ever seen to clean a dusty windshield on the trail. Just and old-school hand-held duster. Kinda hard to explain, but you've seen one.

Honestly, and just my opinion, the factory Yamaha half is the best money can buy, yes, it is expensive, but Mikes (Z06-08)has had one since 06, when his machine was new. It has less scratches than my 6-month old D/C has, and I'm careful.

I think Yamaha uses the same material as Hunterworks. That stuff holds up very well. My Hunterworks shield on the Rhino is in great shape.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Honestly, and just my opinion, the factory Yamaha half is the best money can buy, yes, it is expensive, but Mikes (Z06-08)has had one since 06, when his machine was new. It has less scratches than my 6-month old D/C has, and I'm careful.

I think Yamaha uses the same material as Hunterworks. That stuff holds up very well. My Hunterworks shield on the Rhino is in great shape.

I think it has some kind of coating on it, from what I read somewhere. It's a lot stiffer too.
The EMP on the Ranger at speed, bends in at least 1/2 to 3/4.............. affraid But the drag on a bus is pretty high........... thatsright
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 pm

ridepate wrote:
Big-R wrote:
ridepate wrote:

I think it has some kind of coating on it, from what I read somewhere. It's a lot stiffer too.
The EMP on the Ranger at speed, bends in at least 1/2 to 3/4.............. affraid But the drag on a bus is pretty high........... thatsright

roflmao
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 7:14 am

Polaris Lock-n-Ride windshield is the most scratch resistant one I have seen yet. I am not sure what the material is, but if you could get a sheet of it and make a folding windshield with the EMP quick release clamps you would have the ultimate, IMO. The J-Strong folding windshield scratches the first time you use it. It is very tough, but clouded up. The only thing that helped was using PLASTIX cleaner from Macguires. Pate, you are right, the Yamaha windshield resists scratches very well. I have been impressed how well Ronnie's has held up too.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Sponsored content

windshields Empty
PostSubject: Re: windshields   windshields Empty

Back to top Go down

windshields
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next